Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Logie on Wazzu potential candidate list

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:29 pm

Couple of things here:
1) This is the nature of rooting for a low/mid major school that has immediately turned themselves into a coaching hot bed. No one cares about your feelings. The best thing you can do is support the players who have stayed through thick and thin so far (Rob, Sam, Tyler, Jed)
2) Losing Costello is my biggest concern right now. He’s been here 8 years or something like that. More than enough time to refresh his resume and chase some serious dollars.
3) If it was all about the money Logie would be gone today. I would honestly argue that staying and building a powerhouse at MSU gives you the same if not better odds of making it to the NCAA tournament year in and year out. Wazzu jumps down to the WCC next year and has to fight with Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, and up and coming San Fran & Santa Clara.
4) In order to keep Logie, Leon and the school need to figure out if they want to not just be a football school. My impression right now is that football takes up so much booster money it’s hurting other programs. They either need to find a way to split the money or seriously boost the collective and get some of that Saudi money running around BigSky and the Yellowstone club (partially kidding)

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:35 pm

kmax wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:00 pm
BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:57 pm
I’d be pretty surprised if he stays, hard to pass that up. Personally, I’m more worried that Costello won’t be here for long.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/wsu ... s-wsus-ad/
If Leon were to leave would we definitely look externally or do we have anyone inside the program that could be ready to take over?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

Bocephus
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Bocephus » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:36 pm

Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:29 pm
Couple of things here:
1) This is the nature of rooting for a low/mid major school that has immediately turned themselves into a coaching hot bed. No one cares about your feelings. The best thing you can do is support the players who have stayed through thick and thin so far (Rob, Sam, Tyler, Jed)
2) Losing Costello is my biggest concern right now. He’s been here 8 years or something like that. More than enough time to refresh his resume and chase some serious dollars.
3) If it was all about the money Logie would be gone today. I would honestly argue that staying and building a powerhouse at MSU gives you the same if not better odds of making it to the NCAA tournament year in and year out. Wazzu jumps down to the WCC next year and has to fight with Gonzaga, St. Mary’s, and up and coming San Fran & Santa Clara.
4) In order to keep Logie, Leon and the school need to figure out if they want to not just be a football school. My impression right now is that football takes up so much booster money it’s hurting other programs. They either need to find a way to split the money or seriously boost the collective and get some of that Saudi money running around BigSky and the Yellowstone club (partially kidding)
Sales pitch to Logie at this point is stay one more year and an even better job will come along. That's a tough sales pitch...

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:37 pm

Bocephus wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:36 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Couple of things here:
Sales pitch to Logie at this point is stay one more year and an even better job will come along. That's a tough sales pitch...
It worked for Danny, who was reportedly offered the San Diego job after the 2022 season. But WSU is pretty clearly a better job even though they're both in the WCC.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:41 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:37 pm
Bocephus wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:36 pm
Desert_Bobcat wrote:
Couple of things here:
It worked for Danny, who was reportedly offered the San Diego job after the 2022 season.
Would’ve worked a 2nd time too if Utah State hadn’t have offered him the keys to the castle as a last minute Hail Mary. From the reports it sounds like Wazzu is offering the kingdom, not just the castle…

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:42 pm

Tough job. You got Sprinkle over at UDub and Gonzaga just up the road. Logie would be a great hire for them. I hope they "Coug it" and go with the EWU guy.

msu_agfan
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:53 pm

This all shows how all involved at MSU, Athletic Director, etc.. have to keep all this in mind when hiring someone. They might be gone in one year.

From a fan's perspective, its only fun when we do well. if we hit the skids for 3 years... i might be out. just saying. Part of my interests is in seeing players develop and seeing the coaches be part of that. If we have a carousel around here, i might get dizzy and bag it. I could be persuaded to think differently of course, but that is where I"m at. For Logie to be seriously considering to leave after only one year. How can WSU take his "vision" for their program seriously... next year he might be at Oregon. *shrug* I dont envy the people responsible for hiring and trying to retain a valuable coach.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:56 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:53 pm
This all shows how all involved at MSU, Athletic Director, etc.. have to keep all this in mind when hiring someone. They might be gone in one year.

From a fan's perspective, its only fun when we do well. if we hit the skids for 3 years... i might be out. just saying. Part of my interests is in seeing players develop and seeing the coaches be part of that. If we have a carousel around here, i might get dizzy and bag it. I could be persuaded to think differently of course, but that is where I"m at. For Logie to be seriously considering to leave after only one year. How can WSU take his "vision" for their program seriously... next year he might be at Oregon. *shrug* I dont envy the people responsible for hiring and trying to retain a valuable coach.
It's crazy. We go almost a century with no coach being poached, then have two in a row.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:10 pm

Why is it every time Montana State has a potential basketball opening I have meetings all day, and I get new news in big surprising chunks between meetings,

... like in my car as I drive across town to my next meeting!

TIrwin24
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by TIrwin24 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:18 pm

Personally, I'd like to see a coach honor the university with more than 1 year's worth of loyalty.

Same goes for student athletes

"I've always followed in my father's footsteps, not necessarily because I wanted to, but because it is in my spirit."

-Singlefin Yellow

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:25 pm

Eddie Turner in the portal. Logie's gone, let the mass exodus begin anew.

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:28 pm

TIrwin24 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:18 pm
Personally, I'd like to see a coach honor the university with more than 1 year's worth of loyalty.

Same goes for student athletes
You gonna pass up a salary that’s likely 4x what your current is? I doubt it.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:25 pm
Eddie Turner in the portal. Logie's gone, let the mass exodus begin anew.
Said this on another thread too. It takes longer than a couple hours to enter the portal. ET3 has been “gone” for at least a week now. He was leaving whether or not Logie stays.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:12 pm

Okay, if the Cats lose Coach Young Sheldon, which it looks like that’s going to happen, then they are once again in rebuild mode with little to no time to hire a coach and build a team…..again. This is just frigin funny as all h#$@.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:17 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:12 pm
Okay, if the Cats lose Coach Young Sheldon, which it looks like that’s going to happen, then they are once again in rebuild mode with little to no time to hire a coach and build a team…..again. This is just frigin funny as all h#$@.

Yup. Was really hoping we could start the rebuild all over again. Good lord.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

DMMDCats
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DMMDCats » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:26 pm

Best of luck Coach and and player(s)

What the hell does tailgate tie downs have to do with the old scoreboard?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm

Any older coaches out there that want to retire in Bozeman and build a program?

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:12 pm
No time to hire a coach? The season just ended! When, exactly, do you think most coaches leave?

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.

Desert_Bobcat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Desert_Bobcat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:08 pm

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:51 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:36 pm
Yeah, definitely what we want is a coach on the downside of his career looking to settle down.
Agreed. I don’t mind losing coaches to bigger schools, just not every year 😂😂

Also worth noting that Sprinkle was announced at USU on April 7th. Logie was officially announced April 17th of last year. Today is April 1st (officially the worst April fools joke = this rumor mill). Like it or not, we’re in very similar territory to last year. If Logie were to move on today or tomorrow I wouldn’t expect to hear an official coaching announcement from the school until around that April 12-17 date.