Off-season Portal additions/losses

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Off-season Portal additions/losses

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:36 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:19 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:11 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:57 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:15 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:07 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:59 pm
Have any who left sniffed the NFL.. Seems like more guys who have stayed at FCS schools get drafted than those who try to move up thru portal.
Bobcats? We will find out this year on Ifanse. Session still has a year left at Cal. Wood didn’t get any interest. Glessner still has a year left, but I doubt he sees any interest. I don’t believe he transferred for a chance at the NFL though.
I cant find the link, but only roughly 1 of 3 G5 to P5 transfers last year even got equal playing time to their G5 days. Reminds me a lot of Adams or Prukop going to Oregon for their grad year.

Honestly, I don't think most of these guys are transferring for a better shot at the NFL. Ifanse & Glessner certainly didnt ever have legit NFL aspirations.

Cal & UCLA are vastly better schools than MSU. Full stop. Not even close. If a guy with no shot at the NFL transfers to a better school, maybe...just maybe there are factors other than a shot at playing on Sundays.

If I remember correctly, didnt Sessions transfer out for mental health issues?
I think Ifanse may get a look in an NFL camp but I doubt he makes a team. However, who would have thought Elijah Dotson from Sac/UNC would make a roster this year.

Yeah, Glessner transfered because it was his dream school. He doesn’t stand a chance at making an NFL team unless he improves significantly next season.

Sessions said he transfered because of mental health issues but so did Battle. I think it’s more likely in Sessions case.
Battle's backstory leaves me know doubt it was mental health related. Danny did a lot for that kid behind the scenes.
Maybe so but he could've followed Sprinkle to Utah State if that's what it was about.
Didn't have what he needed for school and to graduate.
You mean that $250K?
The money definitely clouds it.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:46 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:36 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:19 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:11 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:57 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:15 pm
onceacat wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:53 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:07 pm
tetoncat wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:59 pm
Have any who left sniffed the NFL.. Seems like more guys who have stayed at FCS schools get drafted than those who try to move up thru portal.
Bobcats? We will find out this year on Ifanse. Session still has a year left at Cal. Wood didn’t get any interest. Glessner still has a year left, but I doubt he sees any interest. I don’t believe he transferred for a chance at the NFL though.
I cant find the link, but only roughly 1 of 3 G5 to P5 transfers last year even got equal playing time to their G5 days. Reminds me a lot of Adams or Prukop going to Oregon for their grad year.

Honestly, I don't think most of these guys are transferring for a better shot at the NFL. Ifanse & Glessner certainly didnt ever have legit NFL aspirations.

Cal & UCLA are vastly better schools than MSU. Full stop. Not even close. If a guy with no shot at the NFL transfers to a better school, maybe...just maybe there are factors other than a shot at playing on Sundays.

If I remember correctly, didnt Sessions transfer out for mental health issues?
I think Ifanse may get a look in an NFL camp but I doubt he makes a team. However, who would have thought Elijah Dotson from Sac/UNC would make a roster this year.

Yeah, Glessner transfered because it was his dream school. He doesn’t stand a chance at making an NFL team unless he improves significantly next season.

Sessions said he transfered because of mental health issues but so did Battle. I think it’s more likely in Sessions case.
Battle's backstory leaves me know doubt it was mental health related. Danny did a lot for that kid behind the scenes.
Maybe so but he could've followed Sprinkle to Utah State if that's what it was about.
Didn't have what he needed for school and to graduate.
You mean that $250K?
The money definitely clouds it.
A lot of people would have a mental health issue if they turned down $250,000 at his age! :lol:

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:37 pm

Updated.

Has Bailey signed anywhere? Haven’t seen anything about him since he entered the portal.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:45 am

Am I seeing that Kade Cutler left for the gris?

nanacat

Post by nanacat » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:59 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:45 am
Am I seeing that Kade Cutler left for the gris?
Yes. There's a whole thread dedicated to him and that decision.

Catsrgrood

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:20 pm

Updated.

The offseason is young, and another portal window will open after spring ball, but all in all, things look pretty solid.

Lost three OL, two starters and a top backup.

If we can get Sain and Reed back healthy next year, we’re essentially gaining two starters back and now the addition of an outside OL that could push for a spot at least on the two deep.

Overall close to a net neutral on the OL? Too early to say that for sure, especially not knowing how close to 100% Sain and Reed will be, but it could be promising.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 02, 2024 4:11 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:20 pm
Updated.

The offseason is young, and another portal window will open after spring ball, but all in all, things look pretty solid.

Lost three OL, two starters and a top backup.

If we can get Sain and Reed back healthy next year, we’re essentially gaining two starters back and now the addition of an outside OL that could push for a spot at least on the two deep.

Overall close to a net neutral on the OL? Too early to say that for sure, especially not knowing how close to 100% Sain and Reed will be, but it could be promising.
Ya, I'm not concerned about the OL as we ended up with an embarrassment of riches there. Will again be one of the best OLs in the country. I also think we'll have one of the best DLs in the country despite losing Seabass (which is our biggest loss IMO).

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:16 pm

Still hoping to get the following portal additions:

-1 more OL (hopefully Rollins), that could push to start.
-1 LB that could push to be a starter, at least provide solid depth.
-1 nickleback
-1 DT to provide better depth
-1 FG kicker

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:58 pm

If we don't get a placekicker and a starter level LB in by this summer this portal recruiting cycle will be a bust. Anything else we get will be nice but those are two positions of NEED.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:44 pm

Key reminder to everyond: the date to enter the portal is closed other than championship teams getting 5 days post title game. However, current portal entries can a sign with a team whenever. The next portal entry date is 4/15-4/30 so post spring ball.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ruralcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ruralcat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:50 pm

I agree ColoradoCat. We need a starter alongside Danny U. Hopefully we have some young guys ready to step up cause the cupboard is pretty bare right now.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:58 pm

ruralcat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:50 pm
I agree ColoradoCat. We need a starter alongside Danny U. Hopefully we have some young guys ready to step up cause the cupboard is pretty bare right now.
McCade OReilly took his lumps in his first year starting but by no means is a backup. Mostly just need a legit 3rd LB to pair with Danny and McCade. I'm expecting one of Bullock, Aby, and Daily to be ready to take on a true rotational role. Wildcard to watch for is Bryce Grebe. Developing faster than expected. Also coaching staff thinks freshman Ryan Bowles has a shot next year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:01 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:44 pm
Key reminder to everyond: the date to enter the portal is closed other than championship teams getting 5 days post title game. However, current portal entries can a sign with a team whenever. The next portal entry date is 4/15-4/30 so post spring ball.
Also, grad transfers can enter the portal whenever.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:17 pm

If I remember Tre Webb was like a last second fall camp add. Don’t lose hope if you don’t see the movement you want just yet.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ruralcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by ruralcat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:18 pm

I sure hope OReilly improves. I’ve always trusted your expertise and knlowledge but he just doesn’t look like a starter to me. Undersized and not terribly fast.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:47 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:17 pm
If I remember Tre Webb was like a last second fall camp add. Don’t lose hope if you don’t see the movement you want just yet.
That and MSU has a full-on "program" now. A few years ago it was like tarring an old rooftop. Slap some on the spots that you think are leaking and hope you got them come the next rain. As Vim alluded to, MSU already has a lot of good options at one of its supposed weak spots at LB. IMO only two other teams are in as good of shape as MSU in the FCS, that being NDSU and SDSU.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:30 pm

The more I think about it, I’m more worried about safety than LB.

We have two excellent starters at safety, but the depth is pretty poor. Stillwell is okay, and hopefully continues to develop, but I don’t see anybody after that. I might be missing somebody, but Pottenger doesn’t inspire any confidence in me. Would really like to see a transfer brought in. Should probably include nickel here too, we need some depth and competition for Dowler.

I’d like to see a starting type LB brought in, but if McCade starts we’ll be fine. And as Vim mentioned, there’s some protectable depth there.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 am

BelligerentBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:30 pm

We have two excellent starters at safety, but the depth is pretty poor. Stillwell is okay, and hopefully continues to develop, but I don’t see anybody after that. I might be missing somebody, but Pottenger doesn’t inspire any confidence in me. Would really like to see a transfer brought in. Should probably include nickel here too, we need some depth and competition for Dowler.

I’d like to see a starting type LB brought in, but if McCade starts we’ll be fine. And as Vim mentioned, there’s some protectable depth there.
Seems like there are a lot of players at other positions that would make good safeties. Lots of players with the generic DB label.

MSU - 16 team National Champions (most recent 2024); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:42 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Seems like there are a lot of players at other positions that would make good safeties. Lots of players with the generic DB label.
Wonder if Davis or Harmon could shift to safety.

Think LB could use another guy that has clear starter potential. Would like at least 5 guys the coaches are comfortable with on the field in case of injury or "other" unforeseeable circumstances.

Bottom line for both positions is to rotate more players in. Shouldn't be seeing starters in the 4th quarters of blowouts at ANY position if we are truly a championship caliber team.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BelligerentBobcat
Member # Retired

Post by BelligerentBobcat » Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:46 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:40 am
BelligerentBobcat wrote:

Who?

Because, I'll just be blunt here, if they aren't better than Pottenger, we're in trouble.