Joe Glenn

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Joe Glenn

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:06 pm

I am in the Denver area right now for some business, and I have been listening to the local sports talk radio. While listening one caller called in and proclaimed that he was nominating Joe Glenn for the head coaching job at CU Boulder. Right after that, a Nebraska fan called and said that Colorado isn't going to get Joe because he's going to be the next head man for the Huskers. They went on to talk about what a great coach Joe Glenn is for about the next 10-15 min.

One caller stated that his brother had been recruited by Joe out of high school. Apparently this family had a piano in their living room. Joe learned the kids high school fight song and proceeded perform the kid's high school fight song for their entire family.

I think we may see Joe in a big time football program within the next 3 or 4 years....probably sooner.

WYCAT
Member # Retired

Post by WYCAT » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:43 am

Good for him. Being in Wyoming I know their faithful would be crushed to see him go. They gave him a raise and extension after year one and are probably overextended already. He has really raised that program from the bottom. I will be interested to see how the rest of their conference schedule plays out. They are at BYU this weekend which is a big chance to take another step.

neverplayed
BobcatNation Redshirt

Joe Glenn has a higher purpose in life

Post by neverplayed » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:45 pm

He won't go to CU or Nebraska. It won't be long before CU is playing teams like Adams State, Colorado College and Colorado Mines - the Buffs are done, at least for the next 10 years. With what the Boulder, Colorado District Attorney did to the CU football program, CU will be lucky to recruit Div. II players into the future.. Players are now leaving the school in droves.

Nebraska is really done for. Glenn coaching at Nebraska would be a major step-down. Give him a couple more years at Wyoming and an undefeated season, then see what happens.

Glenn is strictly a class act.

“HE IS RICHEST WHO IS CONTENT WITH THE LEAST, FOR CONTENT IS THE WEALTH OF NATURE.”--SOCRATES

Cat-theotherwhitemeat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:12 am

Neverwatchedfootballbefore,
Nebraska and Colorado are done??? Am I reading your post correctly??? Nebraska would be a step down from Wyoming????

You're entire post is.....well.....holy crap. You must have been kidding....right? If not, we all should be smoking some of that stuff you're growing.

I'll agree with Glenn being a class act. At least you understand that.

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:35 am

Nebraska just needs a spark. They are still very well respected and could easily be back on top with the right coach and players. They have the means to get both.

CU is harder, because of the scandal and restrictions placed on them, it could be awhile before they recover.

Wyoming is getting better every year and in a couple more, might be able to squeeze themselves into a ranking?

Glenn just needs to come coach the Cats. :)

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:33 pm

I have to take exception with the whole "class act" label with Cowboy Joe...

Some SPECIFIC examples...

Following the Griz win over the Cats 3 seasons ago, Cowboy Joe, in his FIRST question from Mick Holein during post-game, launches into a tirade about how Joey Thomas is the "dirtiest and most over-rated player in the Big Sky". Cowboy Joe also is the ONLY coach in the BSC who doesn't name Joey to his All-Conference team. I think Joey MUST have been a pretty decent player, considering the Packers used a 3rd round pick on him; correct me if I'm wrong but that's higher than ANY Griz has ever gone... My point? The "classy" Joe Glenn obviously let some personal animosity get in the way of truly appreciating how good JT really was.

Following the loss to the Cats 2 seasons ago, Joe once again shows his "class" by again launching into a post-game tirade about "the streak" and how ridiculous it was and how his WIFE didn't even want him to take the job because of the streak and YADA YADA YADA. A classy coach would have taken the opportunity to say that all streaks must end and that his team was outplayed by the Cats that day...

Finally, when Cowboy Joe was addressing his team following their playoff loss 2 years ago, he gets a phone call FROM A REPORTER, walks out of the team meeting to do an interview, and NEVER returns. He walked out on his FINAL team meeting to visit with a reporter; it wasn't even a phone call about his coaching future... Does THAT show class? Does THAT show how he felt about those young men?

I admit (grudgingly) that Glenn was a good recruiter and a decent game-day coach, but let's not overdo this whole "classy" thing...
Last edited by El_Gato on Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizzlies: 2-5 when it matters most

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:20 pm

*overdo; sorry, I attempt to be grammatically correct at all times...

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:12 pm

When the Cats finally broke the streak, I heard Joe Glenn say some positive things about the streak being broken. That is was bad between the two schools and he was actually happy (after acknowledging the loss) that it was over? And I agreed with him, the streak was causing way too much hatred (much like the hatred that will start when we tag #3 loss on the Griz this year :). 3-5 is okay, but when it gets to be 16 in a row it can get ugly in a hurry. And Bronco wonders why he gets treated by MSU fans so bad (he obviously never saw any UM fans taunting/being arrrses of themselves when the streak was going). :shock:

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:13 pm

El_Gato wrote:*overdo; sorry, I attempt to be grammatically correct at all times...
El Gato, on any one of your posts....see that little edit button? Go ahead and push it and see what happens. Go on.......don't be scared. :wink:

My avatar does not now, nor has in the past, depict a person of mentally challenged state. If you have a problem with it, please call the U.S. department of Bite my A$$. MTBuff/Administrator.

El_Gato
Member # Retired

Post by El_Gato » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:17 pm

Meat,

Thank you so much for the tip! If it's that easy, I'm APPALLED at the amount of spelling and grammatical errors in these postings...

Are you sure you didn't take a few classes at MSU???

:wink:

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:21 pm

El_Gato wrote:Meat,

Thank you so much for the tip! If it's that easy, I'm APPALLED at the amount of spelling and grammatical errors in these postings...

Are you sure you didn't take a few classes at MSU???

:wink:
I'd tell you but it might cause an uproar........ :P

Ah, the mysterious one. 8)

neverplayed
BobcatNation Redshirt

Sorry, my mistake.......

Post by neverplayed » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:05 pm

When I referred to the possibility of Glenn coaching at Nebraska, what I meant is that the Nebraska personality would be too intimitading for Glenn. Cornhusker fans are the genuine article and it will take just the right person to properly fit into the Nebraska Program.

Glenn is a good coach, at least for now. Maybe he will be better 5 years from now. He is nowhere near ready for such a program.

In terms of the University of Colorado Buffs, their program is decimated, largely due to the effects of their recent scandal, and the restrictions placed on CU football players by the Boulder, CO district attorney. No team anywhere deserves what has been done to CU, and if those restrictions are not lifted within 2-3 years, don't look forward to the nationally prominent teams CU has had in recent years. CU is no-man's land in terms of a possible coaching position. How long Gary Barnett stays at CU is largely dependent on his Contract.

High caliber players are not interested in the CU program for the foreseeable future.

Glenn should stay at Wyoming until such time he gets the Cowboys into national prominence, a high national ranking and a credible Bowl performance (and I don't mean the "Humanitarian" Bowl). I can remember years ago, Wyoming Playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl and it was a great game, even though the Cowboys lost. The LSU Tigers knew they had played a great real team from the Rockies, even though they were nationally referrred to as those "podunk jerkwaters" from Laramie, prior to the game.

Sometimes, both MSU & MU behave like "podunk jerkwaters," themselves on and off the football field. I think we all need to try harder!

“HE IS RICHEST WHO IS CONTENT WITH THE LEAST, FOR CONTENT IS THE WEALTH OF NATURE.”--SOCRATES

Cat-theotherwhitemeat

Re: Sorry, my mistake.......

Post by Cat-theotherwhitemeat » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:15 pm

neverplayed wrote:When I referred to the possibility of Glenn coaching at Nebraska, what I meant is that the Nebraska personality would be too intimitading for Glenn. Cornhusker fans are the genuine article and it will take just the right person to properly fit into the Nebraska Program.

Glenn is a good coach, at least for now. Maybe he will be better 5 years from now. He is nowhere near ready for such a program.

In terms of the University of Colorado Buffs, their program is decimated, largely due to the effects of their recent scandal, and the restrictions placed on CU football players by the Boulder, CO district attorney. No team anywhere deserves what has been done to CU, and if those restrictions are not lifted within 2-3 years, don't look forward to the nationally prominent teams CU has had in recent years. CU is no-man's land in terms of a possible coaching position. How long Gary Barnett stays at CU is largely dependent on his Contract.

High caliber players are not interested in the CU program for the foreseeable future.

Glenn should stay at Wyoming until such time he gets the Cowboys into national prominence, a high national ranking and a credible Bowl performance (and I don't mean the "Humanitarian" Bowl). I can High caliber players are not interested in the CU program for the foreseeable futureremember years ago, Wyoming Playing LSU in the Sugar Bowl and it was a great game, even though the Cowboys lost. The LSU Tigers knew they had played a great real team from the Rockies, even though they were nationally referrred to as those "podunk jerkwaters" from Laramie, prior to the game.

Sometimes, both MSU & MU behave like "podunk jerkwaters," themselves on and off the football field. I think we all need to try harder!
Who the hell is MU?? And why wouldn't Joe Glenn be ready to coach Nebraska? This post is full of inane comments such as:
neverplayed wrote:Nebraska personality would be too intimitading for Glenn
Do you know Glenn personally? Why would this even enter your mind?
neverplayed wrote:Cornhusker fans are the genuine article
And Wyoming and Montana fans aren't? You just insulted the fans of two schools.
neverplayed wrote:He is nowhere near ready for such a program
This one is just....wow. The coach from 1-AA Youngstown went to Ohio State and what happened in his first year? Go ahead, look it up.
neverplayed wrote:High caliber players are not interested in the CU program for the foreseeable future
You must be tired after talking to all the high caliber players from the Western U.S. to find out this juicy bit of info.

neverplayed
BobcatNation Redshirt

I take it all back............

Post by neverplayed » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:52 am

......about Glenn.

After watching my alma mater (CSU) decimate the Wyoming Cowboys last night 30-7, and this during one of CSU's worst seasons in years, and watching "Cowboy Joe" cruise the sidelines, I don't think Joe Glenn could coach any high level 1-A School in this region.

After what I saw last night, I think Joe Glenn's future coaching career belongs 1-AA footbal - maybe if Kramer should leave for greener pastures - MSU could hire Glenn.

The Coups de tat, though was when they had "Cowboy Joe" (they call their coach "Cowboy Joe," now) solo the the "Cowboy Joe" tunes - my God! Not only can Joe Glenn not sing, he can't coach either! Glenn's greed for greener pastures has caught up with him!

Eastcoastgriz
Member # Retired

Re: I take it all back............

Post by Eastcoastgriz » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:02 am

neverplayed wrote:......about Glenn.

Glenn's greed for greener pastures has caught up with him!
Let’s see. A little over $100K per year and an annual contract or pushing $500K per year and a multi year contract. Tough decision.

I don’t know what they teach in bozo, but it wouldn’t take long for a U of M grad to figure this one out.
Last edited by Eastcoastgriz on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

rtb

Re: I take it all back............

Post by rtb » Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:23 am

Eastcoastgriz wrote:
neverplayed wrote:......about Glenn.

Glenn's greed for greener pastures has caught up with him!
Let’s see. A little over $100K per year and an annual contract or pushing $500K per year and a multi year contract. Tough decision.

I don’t know what they teach in bozo, but it wouldn’t take long for a U of M grad to figure this one out.
Don't put that on an MSU grad, this guy is a CSU grad he claims. As an MSU grad I think Glenn did the right thing and moved where the money is. I also think that he is turning Wyoming around and it won't be long until they begin a streak against CSU. I use to like the Rams too, but now neverhadalife has really turned me against them.
Last edited by rtb on Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.