Temper your expectations come Monday

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Danster21
BobcatNation Letterman

Temper your expectations come Monday

Post by Danster21 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am

Here is what the top 25 did this week:

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i ... m=&src=FCS

The teams above us either: blew out an FCS team, lost to an FBS team, or were SEMO. The only exceptions were a bye week and UCD with a nail biter vs non-scholarship San Diego. I see us being ranked between 12 and 9 (at the very highest), there's not much to justify putting the others much lower. Even if you think so, the poll showed us last week that early in the season they aren't dropping teams much.

This is good news though. It's super early in the season and we want a chip on our shoulder, Choate knows the importance of a seed in the playoffs. Put them at #9 this week and watch them steamroll WIU for a top 8 spot.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Temper your expectations come Monday

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:40 am

I don't see us moving up more than a spot or two, given the teams above us. SEMO however will drop 6-7 spots.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am

Obviously we will move up at least one spot. I think that would be ideal. I would help keep the chip on our shoulder.

The big win over a ranked team will probably at least move us above one of the teams that lost or Nichols State which didn’t play, so I will say we move to 11 In the Stats poll this week. We are already top 10 in the Athlon pol and I think we stay there.

Here are the rankings from last week. http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:47 am

Danster21 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am

The teams above us either: blew out an FCS team, lost to an FBS team, or were SEMO. The only exceptions were a bye week and UCD with a nail biter vs non-scholarship San Diego. I see us being ranked between 12 and 9 (at the very highest), there's not much to justify putting the others much lower. Even if you think so, the poll showed us last week that early in the season they aren't dropping teams much.

This is good news though. It's super early in the season and we want a chip on our shoulder, Choate knows the importance of a seed in the playoffs. Put them at #9 this week and watch them steamroll WIU for a top 8 spot.
Thanks dad. :wink:

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:55 am

I learned after TT that we were a pretty bad team. Bad defense and Kane sucked. Seemed premature to me but everyone knows that one game makes a season....

So you can imagine my giddiness today. We’re clearly one of the best teams in the country. One game makes a season. So I will not temper my expectations!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am

We have all season to climb the polls. Who cares what we are ranked, just #winbig baby!!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:00 am

Brian MAC with Hero sports has um leapfrog us

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:04 am

:lol:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:06 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:00 am
That guy didn't even have MSU in his Top 25 last week, so MSU got closer to UM as opposed to being leapfrogged by them.

After last night I give zero craps about what the polls look like. MSU is loaded with talent and depth on both sides of the ball and can compete with anyone in the FCS if they execute and don't beat themselves with mistakes.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am

Thanks for the clarification, how did he NOT have MSU in the top 25!? In his write up he says Montana showed well in FBS game, when have they played an FBS team?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 am

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am
Thanks for the clarification, how did he NOT have MSU in the top 25!? In his write up he says Montana showed well in FBS game, when have they played an FBS team?
Good catch. That’s hilarious.
McLaughlin: “THE RISE: I bumped up South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and Montana on my ballot. All three were beyond impressive in FBS play.”

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:28 am

Somebody should tweet that fool and call him out

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:48 am

Why does he qualify for voting on rankings?

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:19 am

He seems to equate MUS beating ranked SEMO with um beating transitioning UNA.
Oh, well its always fun when griz homers post their drivel. Lot of season left to play

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:49 pm

The interesting part is on the Hero Sports podcast, Brian went on a pretty big rant about lazy voters (which is true). But I think he tends to make his rankings way too volatile, more like a power ranking than a poll.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:11 pm

Danster21 wrote:

Ya, agree will probably only move up a couple spots. Looking ahead at our schedule it's entirely possible we don't lose another game heading into our final two. My prediction would be we might drop one, maybe NAU, CP, UND, something like that but who knows. it's going to be a fun ride this season!

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:51 pm

Danster21 wrote:

Who else blew out a ranked team, though? There's a big difference between in I-AA between NDSU, schools like SEMO, and non-Ivy, non-scholarship schools. Or schools that are barely removed from being DII.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Team10

Post by Team10 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:11 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:00 am
I hope they leapfrog the Cats. Let their fan base pound their chest and talk about how good they think they are. As long as the Cats are taking care of business, putting Ws up, week in and week out, the rest will take care of itself.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:13 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 am
RobertCats wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am
Good catch. That’s hilarious.
McLaughlin: “THE RISE: I bumped up South Dakota State, Northern Iowa and Montana on my ballot. All three were beyond impressive in FBS play.”
He has to have meant MSU. Montana did not play an FBS team.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:22 pm

His latest "Twatter" post, 'Montana schools crushed their "tests".' .....MSU had a test playing #12 SEMO team. dUMb's test was playing a cupcake FCS game, which they were losing at half. Who game this guy a job?