Recruiting question...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Recruiting question...

Post by SACCAT » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am

So this has little to do with bobcats Football (well maybe it does when it comes to WR recruits)... But I was watching the latest season on "Last chance U" on Netflix, and something strange stood out to me...

As always, the JC school had a stud QB that dropped down from Georgia Tech. He was rated one of the top "Duel threat" QB's in the country coming out of High school... He said in the Show that he left Tech because " They run the QB almost every play, and I don't want that amount of hits (paraphrasing)" So my question is, do these kids coming out of high School actually look at the offense that the school runs? or are they just going to the school with the best locker rooms, and biggest name... Do WR's the past 3 years look at MSU and go "Man, am I going to go there and block for the QB and RB's"?

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Re: Recruiting question...

Post by cats2506 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:41 am

I watched that also. I commented on the same thing to my wife when we were watching. Did this kid not have any clue what Georgia Tech runs or what.

New season of QB1 supposed to be out on the 16th

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:48 am

GT is probably not the best example since they are one of the only non-service academy FBS schools to run an option offense by design (will probably change with new coach). I assume QBs/WRs would definitely take that into consideration.

I think we have been a little different in that we were run heavy due to QB limitations, not system design. That's where the recruiter's job is to explain the factors and sell them on who's coming up and what the future looks like. Based on our history it has to be a difficult sell though. When was the last time we had more than one really good WR?

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:04 am

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am
So this has little to do with bobcats Football (well maybe it does when it comes to WR recruits)... But I was watching the latest season on "Last chance U" on Netflix, and something strange stood out to me...

As always, the JC school had a stud QB that dropped down from Georgia Tech. He was rated one of the top "Duel threat" QB's in the country coming out of High school... He said in the Show that he left Tech because " They run the QB almost every play, and I don't want that amount of hits (paraphrasing)" So my question is, do these kids coming out of high School actually look at the offense that the school runs? or are they just going to the school with the best locker rooms, and biggest name... Do WR's the past 3 years look at MSU and go "Man, am I going to go there and block for the QB and RB's"?
Depends on the student, and I don't think this is unique to athletes. I think many 16-17 year old kids do a lot of good research, but there are also those who make decisions based purely on impulse.

I remember years ago a high school kid committed to UM to play football and stated that he wanted to study engineering. I've also seen high school kids arrive at MSU wanting to be an engineer, but had no idea there was a significant amount of math and science courses required.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am

I think some kids are just like some adults. Plenty of adults buy a car or a house or whatever without doing much research or negotiating a better price or whatever, just because they want what looks good or feels good (and they want it now).

I have worried the same thing about WR's or QB's coming to MSU the last few years, and I've been amazed at the quality of recruits Coach Choate has been able to attract, apparently just based on "yeah this is what our offense has been, but you can help us change it to something you like more".

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 pm

I think a lot of variables come into play for recruits. That includes fit, culture, facilities, academics, proximity to home, etc. But, yes, I think 100% kids look into what type of offense or defense a program runs and how they fit into that. When you read a lot of recruiting or commit stories, a number of the kids mention things like “and their offense is real similar to what we are doing at my school so I should fit well”. Just my two cents.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:23 pm

I'm baffled. How does a QB go to GT and not know what they ran? I'm positive they talked about his offensive role, etc, and he knew.

Sounds to me like the kid was just trying to make up a reason to justify leaving.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:29 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:23 am

I didn't see the show, but I wonder if he knew about the offense and thought he'd be fine...then he got his bell rung a few times by grown a$$ college linebackers and realized it wasn't for him...