Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am

http://www.leathernecknation.net/forum/ ... f=7&t=2133
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Leatherneck fans impressed with Gold Rush

Post by allcat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 am

Rich K wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:22 am
Last year's game at Montana State was their "Gold Rush" game. One game a year, I think their's is the first home game, they do a push to sell out the stadium and everyone wears Gold Montana State gear. We're starting a grass roots campaign to do something very similar at Western. The Purple Haze game! We're looking for ideas on what we can do/offer to get 15,000 at Hanson Field for 1 game next year? Interested in all and any ideas. Remember, this is focused on just 1 game, not increasing average attendance for an entire season.
Reading this has got me trying to remember the origin of Gold Rush. It seems like it was an instant hit, but I don't remember where the idea came from or how the PR was handled. It seemed like it was an overnight success and took fire right away. I know getting student support was instrumental. Anybody have a good recollection of how the original Gold Rush game was promoted?
I thought Universal Athletics came up with the idea.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:40 am

Here's a couple of the earliest threads about Gold Rush (2006). I'll search my t-shirt drawer later and find out which year I started purchasing UA's Gold Rush shirts.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8522&p=108270&hili ... sh#p108270
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=8539&p=108488&hili ... sh#p108488

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

This is kind of a telling quote:
Platinumcat wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:08 pm
bobcatmaniac wrote:Man, it is hard to find gold or even yellow. I just ran to Wally World to see if they had anything cuz I really don't want to go out on the worst shopping day on the planet...nothing... :twisted: You would think they would have something... :twisted:
Some other place to check that I'll be looking at tomorrow are:

1) Bob Ward's
2) Osco Drug by Hastings
3) Universal Athletics
I remember when it was hard to find Bobcat gear. We NO LONGER HAVE THAT PROBLEM!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:42 am

Rich K wrote:
I seem to remember it starting here on the BN board as just a few people spitballing and spreading the word to wear yellow / gold. There are a lot of these promotional games across the nation and it started as an idea to come with something similar we can call our own. Then as allcat mentioned, UA got involved which is probably where the Gold Rush got the momentum. I still have the original shirt. :D

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am

Rich K wrote:
I could be wrong about this, but I think it was either @rtb or @kmax who was one of the founding fathers of the gold rush idea.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am
Rich K wrote:
I could be wrong about this, but I think it was either @rtb or @kmax who was one of the founding fathers of the gold rush idea.
That's what I remembered too. At least the "Gold Rush" name.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:30 am

Looking back, I think the Gold Rush was @rtb 's idea for Cat/Griz bball, and it was so successful it became an annual tradition for football.

Nice work, Randy.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:59 am

Kramer had a part in getting this started I believe - it was a way to get students out there.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:04 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:14 am
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 am
Rich K wrote:
That's what I remembered too. At least the "Gold Rush" name.
I don't know about that, though I do know that rtb was pretty vocal about it at the time and helped out a lot.

I can say from a history standpoint that the first attempt at something like this was actually quite different and didn't fair so well. Way back in the early 2000's (can't remember the exact year) this was tried with doing a game with everyone wearing the same color, except they went with blue...as evidenced by the above quotes Gold gear was tough to find at the time. I actually still have my "Paint it Blue at MSU" T-shirt in my drawer at home from that game. Obviously blue just didn't have any impact, it looked pretty much like every other game. A few years later when this came up I remember everyone saying we needed something that would stand out, thus the gold.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am

Yellow!!

Punters are people too!!

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am

GoCats18 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:21 am
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:38 pm

The yellowish gold rush colors could also be considered as "throwback" colors. It's actually close to the official University gold.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:07 am
GoCats18 wrote:
Yellow!!
I guess I'm a stickler for the correct color. If it is a Gold Rush, it should be the gold to match our uniforms not yellow or Michigan maize. In fact the color is called "Las Vegas Gold". My $.02
That's some BS. It should be called Oly Gold.

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm

It is just a personal issue I have. I love the idea, don’t like the color. I get it is the old gold/yellow we wore when I was a kid growing up, but now we wear gold. I just don’t see why they could do gold shirts.

Punters are people too!!

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Is it common for University athletics color schemes be different then the official university colors?

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm

PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Yellow!!
Those dang Artesians....

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
Is it common for University athletics color schemes be different then the official university colors?
Pretty Common actually, usually called "Spirit Colors"

Usually its just different shades, back to the days when some colors couldn't be reproduced on clothing easily or cheaply

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:00 pm

WeedKillinCat wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:53 pm
PHAT CAT wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:31 pm
WeedKillinCat wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:
Yellow!!
Those dang Artesians....

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:43 pm

Hahahahaha....... Nice. Nectar of the Gods. Golden Goodness.