And your 2019 starting QB is...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: And your 2019 starting QB is...

Post by RobertoGato » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:26 am
Long Time Cat wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:22 am
catatac wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:48 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:59 pm
Long Time Cat wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:58 pm
Since Murray started as a true freshman halfway through the season, what are the odds that one of the true freshman we have on the team now is playing by mid season? Do any of them have that potential?
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight
Interesting if correct. Where did this depth chart come from? If it is correct as of today are Thelan and Knight so far behind that it couldn't change as the season moves on?
The list is one poster’s ranking. As for the freshman, I would not even consider them as possible candidates for the year. Just too young and not enough time in the system. They would have to be a freak athlete like Murray or Troy and those are very rare.
Too young?? Not enough time in the system???

Why do you always have to go negative?

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:57 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:53 am
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Since Murray started as a true freshman halfway through the season, what are the odds that one of the true freshman we have on the team now is playing by mid season? Do any of them have that potential?
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight
Interesting if correct. Where did this depth chart come from? If it is correct as of today are Thelan and Knight so far behind that it couldn't change as the season moves on?
The list is one poster’s ranking. As for the freshman, I would not even consider them as possible candidates for the year. Just too young and not enough time in the system. They would have to be a freak athlete like Murray or Troy and those are very rare.
Honest question, if we had the next freshman phenomenon on our roster(examples: lulay, Denarius McGhee) does Choate have the ability to recognize it. Choate is a great coach, happy as hell to have him. However, I don't think he can recognize a good qb if he hit him in the ass from 50 yards out. Have a feeling that Choate would choose a qb that has a year or two in the system over someone that is flat out gifted. If the next Lulay is on our roster, I don't think he would be given a chance. What do you all think?
I think you are creating your own narrative. There isn't any evidence of this.
Ok. . . Guess I'll try and make my case. When Choate came on he had HIS guy he brought in (Bruggman). Clear from day one that he would be the starter, Jordan Hoy, who turned out to be a decent qb leaves program.

Bruggman flops, contines to start over half the season over a much more athletic and talented murray (who is only 17),

Next year murray does better with decision making, but fails to make strides in his passing. Not really a traditional qb, but a freak athlete that can make plays with his feet.

Last year we basically had to teach our most athletic player how to be a d 1 qb. All this suggests our coach struggles with recruitment aND development of the QB position. He had admitted so himself. Don't see how I'm creating my own narrative

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:16 am
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight
Honest question, if we had the next freshman phenomenon on our roster(examples: lulay, Denarius McGhee) does Choate have the ability to recognize it. Choate is a great coach, happy as hell to have him. However, I don't think he can recognize a good qb if he hit him in the ass from 50 yards out. Have a feeling that Choate would choose a qb that has a year or two in the system over someone that is flat out gifted. If the next Lulay is on our roster, I don't think he would be given a chance. What do you all think?
Ok. . . Guess I'll try and make my case. When Choate came on he had HIS guy he brought in (Bruggman). Clear from day one that he would be the starter, Jordan Hoy, who turned out to be a decent qb leaves program.

Bruggman flops, contines to start over half the season over a much more athletic and talented murray (who is only 17),

Next year murray does better with decision making, but fails to make strides in his passing. Not really a traditional qb, but a freak athlete that can make plays with his feet.

Last year we basically had to teach our most athletic player how to be a d 1 qb. All this suggests our coach struggles with recruitment aND development of the QB position. He had admitted so himself. Don't see how I'm creating my own narrative
So going back to your original statement, who was the next freshman phenom on the roster (Lulay, McGhee) that Choate didn't recognize?

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:23 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight

Ask Colter how Bruggman performed in practice compared to the games. There was a pretty large difference. Bruggman outperformed Hoy in practice, that's why he left. If finding a good QB was easy, then well, everybody would be doing it.

It's obviously been disappointing, but to say Choate can't recognize or find the talent that's there...that's too extreme for me. And I'm apparently the boards most negative poster...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am

I'm sure Choate has final say, but maybe some of the previous OC's and QB coaches should shoulder some of the blame also.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am

wbtfg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight

So going back to your original statement, who was the next freshman phenom on the roster (Lulay, McGhee) that Choate did2n't recognize?
Hoy was a much better option tHan Bruggman, Choate basically ran Hoy out of town.

Was clear that murray was a better option than bruggman, bruggman played until late in the season.

I would argue last season that Rovig was a better option until his injury.

Didn't say there had been a second coming of lulay during his tenure. But choates assessment of qb has been suspect, in my mind he has failed to put the best QB on the field three times. Obviously speculation on my part, bUT seems like he values a field general over talent in this position.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am
wbtfg wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:19 am
bobcatfan123 wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight

So going back to your original statement, who was the next freshman phenom on the roster (Lulay, McGhee) that Choate did2n't recognize?
Hoy was a much better option tHan Bruggman, Choate basically ran Hoy out of town.

Was clear that murray was a better option than bruggman, bruggman played until late in the season.

I would argue last season that Rovig was a better option until his injury.

Didn't say there had been a second coming of lulay during his tenure. But choates assessment of qb has been suspect, in my mind he has failed to put the best QB on the field three times. Obviously speculation on my part, bUT seems like he values a field general over talent in this position.
I'm not sure that Choate ran Hoy out of town. I think Hoy came to run Tim Cramsey's offense, and when Cramsey left it was probably inevitable that Hoy would leave. Also, don't forget, during his redshirt freshman year, Hoy was suspended for multiple games for the old "violation of team rules" (and that was under the less disciplined Ash/Cramsey era.

I don't argue that Bruggman was a total failure as a qb. However, to say that it was clear that Murray was a better option is an overstatement. Murray is a stud athlete, but had the football IQ of a middle schooler (not my words). Luckily is athletic ability was able to mask his numerous deficiencies.

Rovig is obviously a better passer than TA and Choate stated that Tucker was getting ready to move into the starting QB role when he unfortunately got hurt. That said, it's hard to argue with beating the Griz for the 3rd year in a row, making the playoffs, and winning a playoff game.

As to your last point, I think Choate places a huge premium on trust. he wants a starting QB who the coaches and players fully TRUST. Last year Troy was that guy.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:15 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:10 am
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight
Too young?? Not enough time in the system???

Why do you always have to go negative?
How is that negative?? 99% of the time True Freshman QBs are not ready to step in and start, therefore too young and inexperienced. Part of your issue with our QBs is that you expect them to be ready to take over in season 1 or 2. As has been said many times, that doesn't happen very often.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:20 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
catatac wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Not happening
This.

Rovig\Bauman
Beltran
Jonsen
Andersen
Thelan
Knight
Honest question. How is the view from where you have your hear lodged?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

People seem to think that if you have a stud QB all is well. Look at Peyton Manning at Tennessee. No NC during his three years. Lost to Florida all three years. Next year the Vols win it all with Tee Martin.

The Griz win a NC with John Edwards a year after losing with Drew Miller.

bobcatfan123
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan123 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm

iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm
People seem to think that if you have a stud QB all is well. Look at Peyton Manning at Tennessee. No NC during his three years. Lost to Florida all three years. Next year the Vols win it all with Tee Martin.

The Griz win a NC with John Edwards a year after losing with Drew

QB position has been our Achilles heal the last 3 years. We are a decent qb away from making some waves.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:37 pm

bobcatfan123 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:30 pm
iaafan wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

The Griz win a NC with John Edwards a year after losing with Drew

QB position has been our Achilles heal the last 3 years. We are a decent qb away from making some waves.
I’d say it’s tied with the defense. They’re both really bad in certain situations.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:47 pm

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 pm

I have been one of Tucker's biggest supporters on here. I'm very surprised he didn't take this job from Casey...especially after spring ball (where Tucker was clearly better than Casey in my opinion).

Anyway, time to get behind Casey and build around him. He has a howitzer of an arm but now he just needs to learn how to contain it. If he adds more touch to his game, the offense will be in good hands. The biggest positive about Casey? His arm opens up the deep to intermediate passing game more than any QB MSU has put behind center since Prukop.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:58 pm

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:58 pm

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:59 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:50 pm
I have been one of Tucker's biggest supporters on here. I'm very surprised he didn't take this job from Casey...especially after spring ball (where Tucker was clearly better than Casey in my opinion).

Anyway, time to get behind Casey and build around him. He has a howitzer of an arm but now he just needs to learn how to contain it. If he adds more touch to his game, the offense will be in good hands. The biggest positive about Casey? His arm opens up the deep to intermediate passing game more than any QB MSU has put behind center since Prukop.
I'm honestly very surprised. Tucker was by far the best qb in spring. Like it wasn't even close. I really hope that this was a case of Casey improving and not Tucker regressing. That said, I'm glad a decision has been made and we can move forward.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:02 pm

We have all heard the Bauman's upside is huge! Probably played into the decision all other things being equal. Let's hope the downside is small.

Go Casey! Wish you the best! Go Cats!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:03 pm

Glad Choate made the right decision. Not an easy one, but the right one.

Casey has more confidence, more potential, and he fits what the offense wants to do more than Rovig does.

There will be growing pains, without a doubt. There will be some awesome moments too.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:04 pm

Great decision. Excellent rationale. Fantastic response from Tucker. Good point about needing two quarterbacks to get through the season.