Fall camp 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Fall camp 2019

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Per another source: the MSU defense is as good as any I’ve ever seen in the FCS.
That's hard to believe. But the defense is gonna be stellar this year for sure. There isn't a single weak spot for offenses to attack.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:26 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Per source: Bauman will be named starter Monday or sooner. He played above expectations today. He completed a higher percentage and his ypa was better than expected. They were hoping someone would complete 50% and be 1:1 ratio touchdowns to interceptions. Bauman met or exceeded everything except TD:Int. But the coaches were okay with that since one interception went off a receivers face.

Per another source: the MSU defense is as good as any I’ve ever seen in the FCS.
That source must have not watched the bison game last year, or any bison game in the last 8 years. Cats defense may be awesome, but it won’t be close to that.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:41 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Per source: Bauman will be named starter Monday or sooner. He played above expectations today. He completed a higher percentage and his ypa was better than expected. They were hoping someone would complete 50% and be 1:1 ratio touchdowns to interceptions. Bauman met or exceeded everything except TD:Int. But the coaches were okay with that since one interception went off a receivers face.

After you posted this, I was curious on the yards per attempt and yards per completion.

Rovig: 2 YPA, 4.6 YPC

Bauman: 7 YPA, 13 YPC

That's a huge, huge difference.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:42 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:26 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

That's hard to believe. But the defense is gonna be stellar this year for sure. There isn't a single weak spot for offenses to attack.
Arguably CB, depending who plays.

Filer is very good, Washington is very smart but athletically limited, Thomas is good but perhaps best suited for nickel?

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:43 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

That source must have not watched the bison game last year, or any bison game in the last 8 years. Cats defense may be awesome, but it won’t be close to that.
The MSU defense that played NDSU last year is not even close to the MSU defense you're going to see this year. "Never again." :-^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:48 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:41 pm
TomCat88 wrote:

After you posted this, I was curious on the yards per attempt and yards per completion.

At this point I don’t see how you can go with Rovig. The only thing we need our QB to do is keep defenses honest when they load the box against our very good running game. Completing passes downfield is what we’ve been lacking and obviously Casey is winning in that department.

I understand it’s only one scrimmage but the fact Rovig hasn’t put this thing away leads me to think that all the momentum is with CB.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Best ever in the FCS is an unbelievably high bar and I’ll admit that it’s ridiculous to make a declaration like that at this point but our D is scary good. A lot of the QB talk is missing the point that these guys are facing an exceptional unit everyday in camp. There will be games when our offense will feel like they’ve got it easy facing some of the other Big Sky defenses.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Just watched the little bit of highlights posted on Instagram. Rovig got blindsided and absolutely hammered by Cozzie. He also had a rushing TD.

Bauman's TD pass to Kassis looked be thrown late and after some hesitation.

It doesn't matter who our QB is, they are going to have their share of growing pains. The D is going to be physical and make a lot of plays and keep us in, and win us a good chunk of games. We just need a QB who won't turn the ball over 3 or 4 times a game.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 pm

That is definitely hyperbole regarding the defense, but the point stands that this is a super talented unit that the QB's have to face. Brooks Nuanez said it's one of the most talented groups he's covered.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This is a huge difference, but it is also a tiny sample size and there are so many other variables we don't know about (which plays were called, which defense was on the field, did any receivers drop catchable passes, etc) as to render any judgments based on the stats alone almost completely meaningless.

Hopefully the running game and defense are as advertised and can mask some inconsistent QB play, which will likely happen no matter who gets the starting job.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:51 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

This is a huge difference, but it is also a tiny sample size and there are so many other variables we don't know about (which plays were called, which defense was on the field, did any receivers drop catchable passes, etc) as to render any judgments based on the stats alone almost completely meaningless.

Hopefully the running game and defense are as advertised and can mask some inconsistent QB play, which will likely happen no matter who gets the starting job.
There are absolutely no circumstances that make 2 YPA acceptable.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:21 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:02 pm
That is definitely hyperbole regarding the defense, but the point stands that this is a super talented unit that the QB's have to face. Brooks Nuanez said it's one of the most talented groups he's covered.
He said “talented” as any I’ve ever seen.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:25 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 pm
MSU01 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

In a full game's worth of stats, yes. But 7 pass attempts represents one or two drives, and I bet I could find plenty of 7-pass sequences with 2 or lower YPA from the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Context matters. Sample size matters.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:35 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:25 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:20 pm
MSU01 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

In a full game's worth of stats, yes. But 7 pass attempts represents one or two drives, and I bet I could find plenty of 7-pass sequences with 2 or lower YPA from the likes of Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Context matters. Sample size matters.
You're totally right, but in any given sample, 2.0 YPA is going to result from poor QB play more often that from good QB play and negative circumstances.

We don't have the full picture. It's possible that Rovig was muh better than these numbers and things didn't go his way (e.g. drops or wrong routes or whatever).

But I would say there's a better chance that he just wasn't very good.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:42 pm
91catAlum wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Arguably CB, depending who plays.

Filer is very good, Washington is very smart but athletically limited, Thomas is good but perhaps best suited for nickel?
Maybe Washington when he's in, but he doesn't start.
When you throw Thomas's name into a weakness discussion, you're really starting to stretch it. If he stays healthy he'll be back on the all conference list at the end of the season. Not a weakness.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm

I was at the scrimmage. I thought Bauman was shaky the first couple of series but got better as the scrimmage went on. Rovig was no better. Not surprised at this as it is their first time in a long time they had bullets flying at them. They were up against a good, tough defense.

I thought the best QB out there today was Ruben Beltran. He had three nice completions and seems to handle pressure with ease. Even in practice he has good poise and does not make mistakes. He is a gamer. Doesn’t have the arm Bauman does but two of his completions were long passes rolling out. I think he opened some eyes today with his opportunity.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm
I was at the scrimmage. I thought Bauman was shaky the first couple of series but got better as the scrimmage went on. Rovig was no better. Not surprised at this as it is their first time in a long time they had bullets flying at them. They were up against a good, tough defense.

I thought the best QB out there today was Ruben Beltran. He had three nice completions and seems to handle pressure with ease. Even in practice he has good poise and does not make mistakes. He is a gamer. Doesn’t have the arm Bauman does but two of his completions were long passes rolling out. I think he opened some eyes today with his opportunity.
I'm guessing Beltran was not going against the first team defense?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:13 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm guessing Beltran was not going against the first team defense?
No, but he didn’t have the first team offense either. He goes under the radar with all the attention on Rovig and Bauman. If you ask Dennis Erickson about Beltran you will be surprised at his answer.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:28 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:

Big difference but without anybody there to verify, we have no idea on the plays called, whether there were a lot of yards after catch. Rovig appears to have had a rough day but we are still lacking context. I would like to see the numbers for both with/against the 1s and the 2s.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:37 pm

Post scrimmage presser is up.