QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: QB Update

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:37 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am
technoCat wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

Honest question for everyone: if we weren't comparing him to Bauman, would people be questioning Rovig's arm? I've never got the impression he's lacking in arm strength from what I've seen.
Yes.

He floats a lot of balls and his outs don't have a lot of zip to them. Results in picks.

He's got an average arm, at best. It can get down field because he arcs it high, but that's not ideal. He's got some touch to his passes, but not a lot of zip.
I agree.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:45 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:13 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 am
bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:47 am
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 pm
You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.
1) I've seen Jensen and Rovig play. It's not hard to figure out which one is better.

2) I'm not as familiar with Modster, but he transferred to a PAC-12 school that had seen him up close. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

3) I think Rovig can be ok...but he couldn't beat out a converted LB/RB last year. That's alarming, to me.

4) McGhee was not an unknown, at all. His entire redshirt year I heard from friends on the team how good he was. The buzz was incredibly high around him. The idea that he was an "unknown" after being a high caliber recruit (for us), winning scout player of the year, and the entire damn team talking about good he was gonna be is laughable.

5) I like Bauman. He's not ready. He panics in the pocket yet. He needs time.

6) I'm not saying Rovig is bad. I just think he's a guy. Nothing special. We just haven't seen an actual passing QB in a few years. My chief concern with him is that I think he's going to turn the ball over a lot. He's late on a lot of his passes. That can be fine against Wagner. Not against good teams.

7) Whether I'm "on board" or not has nothing to do with how the team will perform. I'm honest, and realistic. If you're idea of a fan is somebody who is always optimistic, and always thinks things will turn out great, then you've got the wrong guy in me. I call things like I see them, and quite frankly, I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.
None of this is new information and we are on page 19. “Honest and realistic”, or are you “jaded and negative”? You comments on Rovig and Bauman are based on their status as a either redshirt freshman or a true freshman. They have had another year of maturity and coaching since you last saw them, unless you are going to practices. To write them off at this stage is being negative.

And by the way, if you haven’t heard “buzz” about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran in the past two years, then you haven’t been listening very closely. Maybe we should give these guys a chance to play.
He's being "honest" about what HE believes is "realistic."

What's the problem with that?

Obviously opinions are subject to change once Rovig plays more. But I don't see you jumping on people who are predicting he will be great, telling them not to speculate.
You are probably right. I just think this QB thing has been discussed to death with pure speculation. And out of the 7 points above, 5 are directed at the ability of our QB’s. I mistakenly thought that some things were off-limits.
What's off limits?

Genuinely curious here. I'm not attacking any player at all. Take that I said about Bauman...it's not a diss. I just said he's not ready, and I can see that bc he panics in the pocket. That's normal for QB's of his age and experience. Is that off limits for me to say? Or is this a positive-only kind of thing you want?
How many times in the past six months have you said Rovig has been beaten by a LB, can’t make the out pass, turns the ball over too much, no zip on the ball, etc? We get that you don’t like Rovig. Every time his name comes up, you make the same comments. How about mentioning that Rovig actually beat TA last season but was injured in that week’s preparations?

But no worries, you can rest assured that you have a new friend in Grizaddict.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.
1) I've seen Jensen and Rovig play. It's not hard to figure out which one is better.

2) I'm not as familiar with Modster, but he transferred to a PAC-12 school that had seen him up close. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together.

3) I think Rovig can be ok...but he couldn't beat out a converted LB/RB last year. That's alarming, to me.

4) McGhee was not an unknown, at all. His entire redshirt year I heard from friends on the team how good he was. The buzz was incredibly high around him. The idea that he was an "unknown" after being a high caliber recruit (for us), winning scout player of the year, and the entire damn team talking about good he was gonna be is laughable.

6) I'm not saying Rovig is bad. I just think he's a guy. Nothing special. We just haven't seen an actual passing QB in a few years. My chief concern with him is that I think he's going to turn the ball over a lot. He's late on a lot of his passes. That can be fine against Wagner. Not against good teams.

7) Whether I'm "on board" or not has nothing to do with how the team will perform. I'm honest, and realistic. If you're idea of a fan is somebody who is always optimistic, and always thinks things will turn out great, then you've got the wrong guy in me. I call things like I see them, and quite frankly, I'm right a lot more than I'm wrong.
None of this is new information and we are on page 19. “Honest and realistic”, or are you “jaded and negative”? You comments on Rovig and Bauman are based on their status as a either redshirt freshman or a true freshman. They have had another year of maturity and coaching since you last saw them, unless you are going to practices. To write them off at this stage is being negative.

And by the way, if you haven’t heard “buzz” about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran in the past two years, then you haven’t been listening very closely. Maybe we should give these guys a chance to play.

Obviously opinions are subject to change once Rovig plays more. But I don't see you jumping on people who are predicting he will be great, telling them not to speculate.
You are probably right. I just think this QB thing has been discussed to death with pure speculation. And out of the 7 points above, 5 are directed at the ability of our QB’s. I mistakenly thought that some things were off-limits.
What's off limits?

Genuinely curious here. I'm not attacking any player at all. Take that I said about Bauman...it's not a diss. I just said he's not ready, and I can see that bc he panics in the pocket. That's normal for QB's of his age and experience. Is that off limits for me to say? Or is this a positive-only kind of thing you want?
How many times in the past six months have you said Rovig has been beaten by a LB, can’t make the out pass, turns the ball over too much, no zip on the ball, etc? We get that you don’t like Rovig. Every time his name comes up, you make the same comments. How about mentioning that Rovig actually beat TA last season but was injured in that week’s preparations?

You didn't answer my question, btw.

It's not that I don't like Rovig, I'm just pointing out concerns to his game. I think that's fair and valid. I certainly hope he proves me wrong, but front what I have seen so far, I'm not expecting a whole lot. I don't imagine the coaches are going to put a whole lot on his plate, tbh. I just don't get the impression they trust him. You don't try to replace QB's you trust.

GrizAddict might agree with me, but we're not friends. You and him are two sides of the same coin. Explains why the two of you are obsessed with each other.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:13 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm
You don't try to replace QB's you trust.
Unless you trust him but think you can find someone better that you trust equally....

I see what you're saying though

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:19 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:03 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:39 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
RobertoGato wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:

What's off limits?

You didn't answer my question, btw.

It's not that I don't like Rovig, I'm just pointing out concerns to his game. I think that's fair and valid. I certainly hope he proves me wrong, but front what I have seen so far, I'm not expecting a whole lot. I don't imagine the coaches are going to put a whole lot on his plate, tbh. I just don't get the impression they trust him. You don't try to replace QB's you trust.

GrizAddict might agree with me, but we're not friends. You and him are two sides of the same coin. Explains why the two of you are obsessed with each other.
You make assumptions about how the coaches feel and speak like it is fact. Just because they made offers to Modster and Jensen, doesn’t mean they don’t like Rovig. Do the coaches not like Sterk because they offered and landed Amandre Williams? You regularly make comments about “how the coaches feel”, but you don’t know any more than I do... and I do have some access to Choate and he likes the QB’s we have.

By the way, I recall Grizzaddict coming to your defense about Jaharie Martin’s height and the new assistant coach coming to Bozeman from UCLA. I won’t rehash the facts, but it is the same situation where you made some comments with absolutely no fact behind them. When Grizaddict is siding with you on a regular basis, maybe you should re-examine your thinking.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Lol.

Buddy. An official measurement at a combine event isn't a statement of fact?

But I apologize. You can carry this on without me from now on. Enjoy your summer.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm

"You don't try to replace QB's you trust."

There are some silly arguments going on here, and I can't let this one go.

First off, it's a huge stretch to say Choate specifically went out looking for a QB to "Replace" Rovig. Secondly, any good coach (Choate actually told all the players this from what I remember in one of the interviews) will tell you it's the head coach's responsibility to go out and recruit better players than what he already has, at all positions.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:49 pm

If you get into an argument with different people in multiple threads, well you're a smart guy, find the common denominator.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm

catatac wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:38 pm

First off, it's a huge stretch to say Choate specifically went out looking for a QB to "Replace" Rovig. Secondly, any good coach (Choate actually told all the players this from what I remember in one of the interviews) will tell you it's the head coach's responsibility to go out and recruit better players than what he already has, at all positions.
In terms of recruiting HS athletes, absolutely.

I'll just say this. I've followed college football intensely for a couple decades. Recruiting, coaching, the whole gambit. I think I could maybe count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a team bring in a highly touted upperclassman transfer at QB when they have a solidified starting QB. It's different from other positions bc the backup QB doesn't get snaps, and upperclassman are coming in to play. It just doesn't happen.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:24 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:52 pm
catatac wrote:

I'll just say this. I've followed college football intensely for a couple decades. Recruiting, coaching, the whole gambit. I think I could maybe count on one hand the amount of times I've seen a team bring in a highly touted upperclassman transfer at QB when they have a solidified starting QB. It's different from other positions bc the backup QB doesn't get snaps, and upperclassman are coming in to play. It just doesn't happen.
I think Choate's plan wasn't to start Rovig until NEXT year because he would have Murray until this year and then he didn't make grades. Well then Jonsen will start but he breaks his foot. Then he decides he's going to let Rovig play and he gets hurt. At that point, you would have to be a flaming imbecile to not try to bring in someone you thought could start, especially since it was before spring ball and you hadn't got to see Rovig play in 6 months. I'm not going to pretend that Choate thinks he has the next coming of Peyton Manning(6'6" with a lazer rocket arm :wink: ) but my problem with your argument is that your tone implies that Choate was desperate to replace him and is in panic mode that he wasn't able to get one of those guys to sign. The fact of the matter is that if Choate didn't have those players going into spring ball and thought Rovig wasn't a possible answer, he would have moved Andersen to QB permanently.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:25 pm

^^And if your point is just that we don't know what we have with Rovig and we should be a little concerned, then I think the argument is over!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:34 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:40 pm
Good luck Chris. It was fun while it lasted :)
Wish you well too Chris - appreciate you coming to MSU and giving this a shot, and loved watching you play! whatever decisions you make, and wherever life takes you, I hope its all good for you.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:11 pm

The Bobcats are poised to be among the top teams in the Big Sky again, returning a 1,000-yard rusher in Isaiah Ifanse, most of the starting offensive line and sack leader Bryce Sterk. Three Idahoans are on the roster, all from Meridian, including quarterback Tucker Rovig, who Choate said had a slight lead in the race for the starting job coming out of spring practices.
Read more here: https://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/c ... rylink=cpy

Interesting comment by coach Choate on Rovig relative to the others in the QB room. (Thanks to Hawks in the "Summer Stuff 2019 thread)

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I don't think Choate wants to go into the season without a QB that has had some experience in the passing game. He knew TA could create offense with his legs so the passing game was not as important. But this year he wants a QB that can move the ball through the air and no one has had any experience moving it against D1 defenses through the air. That is an uncomfortable situation.

2024 Resume dominance

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:

There is a difference between coming in with someone you trust but is still an unproven commodity and a transfer qb who has experience and is proven. They may have trust of TR but he's still unproven. Doesn't mean they don't trust him.

I'll give you Josh Rosen as an example of someone that hadn't been given a chance to solidify himself before you bring in a 5'9 qb to replace him....

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:26 am

bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:

Why only in terms of high school players? Maybe I misunderstood this.

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 am

bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:

I can think of 2 times just recently where the starting qb got ousted the next year. Alabama and Montana.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 am

allcat wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:49 am
bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:

I can think of 2 times just recently where the starting qb got ousted the next year. Alabama and Montana.
New coaches, like at Montana, really changes things. Alabama did not bring in a transfer QB. Tua is a HS recruit. I'm just talking about transfers.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:09 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
catatac wrote:

The one example I can think of is Marshall bringing in Eric Kresser and redshirting Chad Pennington after Marshall went to the title game and lost to the Griz when Pennington was a true freshman. Of course, they also added Randy Moss that same offseason...

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:17 pm

I hope it is Rovig. I think you will see him come out and do some pretty amazing things. It is time for guys like Keving Kassis and some other receivers to get their time. Rovig will give us a passing game, which in turn opens things up for Ifanse.

Punters are people too!!