QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: QB Update

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:11 pm
That was Celtic's exact point. Those 2 would have been major upgrades over anything we have had in Choate's time. And I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree. The point now is that there have not been more offers (that we've heard about) and that in itself is saying if somebody like Jensen or Modster isn't available and interested, then there is no use in bringing them in. To me that is not a knock on TR at all. Nobody really knows what he can do. It'd be foolish not to bring in somebody who the coaches know can push this team over the top.
This is a positive way to spin the reality that they tried to find someone else to start. Which is a knock, of sorts, on Tucker Rovig.

Some have said that's just normal due diligence, but that's obviously not true or else we would be seeing them make the same efforts all over the roster, not just at QB.

None of this means that Rovig is doomed to failure. Of course he isn't. But I'm not buying the idea that the staff has had 100% confidence in him throughout the process. If they believed without reservation that he's going to be great, they would not have tried to find someone else to take his job. And without a doubt, Jensen or Modster would have been odds on favorites to do just that from the moment they committed.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:00 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:15 pm
Modster for sure was a reach by the staff in terms of a low likelihood he would commit here (as he signed with FBS Cal) and while Jensen would have been an improvement most likely over Rovig, I highly doubt Choate told Jensen it would be his job to lose, and Jensen took a lot of flak on egriz for not wanting to compete with Sneed.
The alternative version of that story is that Hauck favored Sneed from the beginning, before any competition ever started, Jensen thought that was bush league, and so he bounced. I don't know the reality of the situation, but that was also floating out there. EGriz predictably crapped all over Jensen once he left because... he left.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:35 pm

I find it disappointing that we are still struggling with the most important position on the team in Choate’s fourth year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:
That was Celtic's exact point. Those 2 would have been major upgrades over anything we have had in Choate's time. And I'm pretty sure everyone here would agree. The point now is that there have not been more offers (that we've heard about) and that in itself is saying if somebody like Jensen or Modster isn't available and interested, then there is no use in bringing them in. To me that is not a knock on TR at all. Nobody really knows what he can do. It'd be foolish not to bring in somebody who the coaches know can push this team over the top.
This is a positive way to spin the reality that they tried to find someone else to start. Which is a knock, of sorts, on Tucker Rovig.

Some have said that's just normal due diligence, but that's obviously not true or else we would be seeing them make the same efforts all over the roster, not just at QB.
I'd say the coaches HAVE made that same effort all over the roster. They brought in Amandre Williams at DE despite having two of the best in Sterk and Marks! They've brought in a DT, Flovin at LB, an O lineman recently... About the only position they haven't brought in a JC or dropdown, or tried to, is RB.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:19 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 pm
I'd say the coaches HAVE made that same effort all over the roster. They brought in Amandre Williams at DE despite having two of the best in Sterk and Marks! They've brought in a DT, Flovin at LB, an O lineman recently... About the only position they haven't brought in a JC or dropdown, or tried to, is RB.
No one is saying that MSU doesn't target transfers regularly. But trying to bring in an immediate starter is different than trying to bring in depth. It sends a different message.

The DL additions of Williams and Scrempos are related to losses (Fa'anono, Wright, Yates, Sparaco) and come at a positions where guys rotate all of the time. They didn't change the status of incumbents like Sterk, Marks, or Benson.

Bringing in a linebacker illustrates my point-- the Cats were weak at LB last year. They targeted a transfer LB who has a chance to start for that reason.

The guys they were trying to get at QB were intended to take the job over Rovig. They would have been the favorites. So if they were totally confident that Rovig is the guy, as many have claimed, you wouldn't expect to see them do that in the same way that you wouldn't expect to see them trying to find a replacement starter for Ifanse, Kassis, Kidd, Brott, etc...

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:47 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:14 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:58 pm
BleedingBLue wrote:

And those positions rotate. A backup DE still gets plenty of snaps.

A backup QB rarely, if ever, plays.

There's a difference.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm

MSU flat out needs another QB that can either start or be the backup. I expect someone to come in by early to mid-June.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm
MSU flat out needs another QB that can either start or be the backup. I expect someone to come in by early to mid-June.
Well, early June is almost over. Keep your fingers crossed.
Last edited by AFCAT on Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Today is June 11......sooooooooo.....

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 pm

wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
July. Early to mid-July. Smart-alecks.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

imacat

Post by imacat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:17 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
July. Early to mid-July. Smart-alecks.
Just so it is NOT a Tyler Bruggman sequel.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 pm

You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:55 pm
You guys talk like Jensen and Modster were guaranteed immediate upgrades. That is simply not a given. Rovig, Bauman and Beltran all have had another year to grow, mature and workout. They might light up the league like another unknown Bobcat named Denarius did. Also, Brugman and Jonson were 4 star recruits that just didn’t pan out at QB. How about we all stop speculating about completely un-provable scenarios and get on board with the guys actually on the team.

And we were definitely interested in Jensen and Modster, but I am not sure “going after them hard” is a fact. Unless you were part of the recruiting process, none of us know how interested Choate was in the two.
You're speculating in a post telling people to stop speculating.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Probably true. But we have spent 19 pages speculating about one position. And much of it is regarding a couple of guys that went to another school. I would love to hear more about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran. They are the only QBs that really matter at this point.

RobertoGato

Post by RobertoGato » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:50 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:36 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Cataholic wrote:

Probably true. But we have spent 19 pages speculating about one position. And much of it is regarding a couple of guys that went to another school. I would love to hear more about Rovig, Bauman and Beltran. They are the only QBs that really matter at this point.
I can only speak for myself, but I've only brought up those other guys by way of speculation regarding Rovig-- over what it might indicate that they pursued other guys who likely would have been the starter.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am

Hawks86 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:22 pm
My bet is down and I am betting there are no more QB's coming in this summer/Fall. Rovig will start and Andersen, Jonsen, Bauman, with a Kassis thrown in will man some rotations and everyone who "knows" will finally know! 8)

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am
Hawks86 wrote:
My bet is down and I am betting there are no more QB's coming in this summer/Fall. Rovig will start and Andersen, Jonsen, Bauman, with a Kassis thrown in will man some rotations and everyone who "knows" will finally know! 8)
You left out Beltran. My predicition is that he will be the surprise this season. He is an accurate passer, can run and is one tough kid. He won an AZ State championship at the the highest levels.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:20 am

I've been wrong on this topic all along, so consider this my crow-eating post from predicting Chris would make the grades and be the guy. I missed that one. Fascinating discussion in this thread on rovig, the recruiting forays at QB and what that means for the upcoming year, etc. I don't agree with those who say that choate doesn't prefer the QB run game, and only ran it out of necessity. I think it started that way for him, sure, when bruggman flopped and we had to go that way. But listening to him talk passionately about the advantages created by the +1 run game in the time since, I'm in agreement with those who think we're probably looking to bring someone in that mold in, to at least provide competition and a "+1" run option.
In evaluating the in- house guys, I'll admit i know nothing about Beltran. It seems like bauman has the physical gifts, but maybe isn't up to division 1 speed yet as far as command of a system and knowing where to go with the ball. Watching rovig, I saw different things than some here did. I liked his anticipatory throws at times, but it didn't seem to me that he has the big rolovich or mcghee arm talent, the deep out to the far hash type of thing. Can that be managed? Sure. Anything that floats a little though doesn't really play well in Montana in November and December.
Anyway, I'm excited and fascinated to see how this shakes out; i think we've got as complete a team as we've had since the mcghee teams, we just need this big major piece to fall into place.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:02 am

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:18 am
Hawks86 wrote:
You left out Beltran. My predicition is that he will be the surprise this season. He is an accurate passer, can run and is one tough kid. He won an AZ State championship at the the highest levels.
Yes , my bad!