QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by The Butcher » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 am

RobertCats wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:11 pm
I only watched the game once as well, but I remember Rovig playing pretty good in his first career start, as a freshman, in one of the most hostile opposing environments in the FCS at SDSU. I remember a few mistakes (Ints and a fumble on a scramble) but what really sticks out in my mind were the 33 dropped passes off of pretty good throws.
I was at that game; SDSU was NOT a hostile environment. I was actually a little surprised by game's atmosphere.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:59 am

If SDSU is hostile, then WaGriz is gonna be hell for the kid.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 am

The Butcher wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:30 am
RobertCats wrote:
I only watched the game once as well, but I remember Rovig playing pretty good in his first career start, as a freshman, in one of the most hostile opposing environments in the FCS at SDSU. I remember a few mistakes (Ints and a fumble on a scramble) but what really sticks out in my mind were the 33 dropped passes off of pretty good throws.
I was at that game; SDSU was NOT a hostile environment. I was actually a little surprised by game's atmosphere.
And there weren’t 33 dropped passes. Did you mean 3? Rovig was 13-25-2, 164 yards and one TD vs. SDSU. Rovig is good, but I think he’ll throw some picks. Might be something you just have to live with and MSU may be able to counter them with its defense.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:44 am

Hopefully Rovig can get it done on a consistent basis. If he struggles at all, don't be surprised to see Bauman promptly enter the game.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am

iaafan wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:21 am
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
And there weren’t 33 dropped passes. Did you mean 3? Rovig was 13-25-2, 164 yards and one TD vs. SDSU. Rovig is good, but I think he’ll throw some picks. Might be something you just have to live with and MSU may be able to counter them with its defense.
I'll admit I was assuming it was a "hostile" environment as I was not personally there so I have to take your word for it. All I was saying was that making your first start, on the road, was a top 5 team for their home opener in front of 15,000 fans is a lot different than making your first career start at home or on the road vs a PSU or UC Davis in front of 4,000 fans.

I was exaggerating, it felt like 33! I only watched the game once but I remember at least 5 throws where the WR had his hands on it and did not make the catch, I think one WR himself had 3 drops. So 18-25 looks a lot better than 13-25. Basically, my point is that Rovig did not play as "bad" as some say he did against the Jacks, yeah we got our a$$ kicked but that was a total team effort and his final line wasn't even that bad. Could have actually been enough to win if we mustered more than 29 yards rushing on 23 attempts and the defense didn't get carved up for 512 yards.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 am

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:53 am
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
I'll admit I was assuming it was a "hostile" environment as I was not personally there so I have to take your word for it. All I was saying was that making your first start, on the road, was a top 5 team for their home opener in front of 15,000 fans is a lot different than making your first career start at home or on the road vs a PSU or UC Davis in front of 4,000 fans.

I was exaggerating, it felt like 33! I only watched the game once but I remember at least 5 throws where the WR had his hands on it and did not make the catch, I think one WR himself had 3 drops. So 18-25 looks a lot better than 13-25. Basically, my point is that Rovig did not play as "bad" as some say he did against the Jacks, yeah we got our a$$ kicked but that was a total team effort and his final line wasn't even that bad. Could have actually been enough to win if we mustered more than 29 yards rushing on 23 attempts and the defense didn't get carved up for 512 yards.
I also think you have to remember if some of those catches are made, we get some first downs in the first half and some momentum and maybe our defense isn't completely gassed late in the game. His numbers probably go up if he gets more than two throws every 5 minutes. Also wasn't one of the INTs a deflection off of a "good" pass? I seem to remember one being but haven't rewatched the game in quite some time.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 am

RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

I agree with the general sentiment of what you’re saying. Some people say Rovig had a terrible first game. Was it great? No. But all things considered, I don’t think it was all that bad. He was only a RS Freshman who, forget about first start, was getting his first real playing time of any significance, on the road against a top 5 team.
The Cats got outplayed on many levels in that game, it wasn’t a loss that was squarely on an inexperienced QB.

We’ll see how Rovig looks in a couple months, because it looks like he’ll be the guy. I’m excited to see what he can do. I for one think he’ll be a solid to pretty good QB this year.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am

RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

For comparison, Dakota Prukop's first start against Arkansas State:

14-26, 142 YDS, 2 INT
16 carries for.....4 yards

Now obviously Dakota went absolutely nuts for the next five games after his debut. But MSU's defense was torched against SDSU...early and often. I feel like no one really talks about MSU's defensive struggles last year and that kind of bothers me. I agree that we should have a great defense next year. But overall I still haven't seen MSU's defense under Choate play well against a dual-threat QB. Now maybe that is a Ty Gregorak thing because he struggled with the same thing at UM. You know who solves some problems on defense? Mr. Andersen. I really hope he stays on defense full-time and plays 10-15 snaps on offense per game whether its taking direct snaps or getting handed the ball.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:49 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

14-26, 142 YDS, 2 INT

Now obviously Dakota went absolutely nuts for the next five games after his debut. But MSU's defense was torched against SDSU...early and often. I feel like no one really talks about MSU's defensive struggles last year and that kind of bothers me. I agree that we should have a great defense next year. But overall I still haven't seen MSU's defense under Choate play well against a dual-threat QB. Now maybe that is a Ty Gregorak thing because he struggled with the same thing at UM. You know who solves some problems on defense? Mr. Andersen. I really hope he stays on defense full-time and plays 10-15 snaps on offense per game whether its taking direct snaps or getting handed the ball.
I agree wholeheartedly with you on the defense. Every good offense MSU faced lit it up. NDSU, EWU and SDSU. Even cal Poly had a good game. As did UM.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:08 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:12 am
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

14-26, 142 YDS, 2 INT

I think most of us assume the defense is fixed, now that we have a QB back there.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am

RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

That's the way I remember it too, essentially he couldn't get into a rhythm from the start because of the drops - which also aided greatly in 3 and out possessions. True too that both SDSU and NDSU you showed just how far our defense needs to go.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm

codecat wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:45 am
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

That's the way I remember it too, essentially he couldn't get into a rhythm from the start because of the drops - which also aided greatly in 3 and out possessions. True too that both SDSU and NDSU you showed just how far our defense needs to go.
It's hard to run the ball when you struggle to pass the ball, and your QB isn't much of a run option.

I'm worried we'll light up bad teams and struggle with the good teams, offensively.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:06 pm
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

It's hard to run the ball when you struggle to pass the ball, and your QB isn't much of a run option.

I'm worried we'll light up bad teams and struggle with the good teams, offensively.
Every "good" team we faced last year, we struggled with offensively...because we didn't have a passing threat. We still have a good offensive line and plenty of good running options. MSU needs a passing element.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:27 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:10 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

Every "good" team we faced last year, we struggled with offensively...because we didn't have a passing threat. We still have a good offensive line and plenty of good running options. MSU needs a passing element.
Yeah with Ifanse and the running game we should have a lot of 3rd and short (and even 2nd and short) play calls this year. If teams come up to stop the run Rovig can definitely make them pay with his arm (and his legs). He won't bust one 80 yards like TA, but he can get first downs that way and move the chains. Teams had no fear of MSU beating them deep last year (except the Griz after the huge pass from TA to Jonsen :) ). Iffanse/Jones will eat teams up if they have to drop LB's/Safeties back to defend against a passing game. Plus, MSU has the ability to go pure power when they want to and switch it up. So teams will have to prepare for any type offense against the Cats. I'm excited about the Offense. The Defense I still have question marks until I see the LB starters and the depth. Plus how the LB's will be utilized. I would think we would attack more with TA there now than do the bend but don't break style.
Last edited by CARDIAC_CATS on Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

I completely agree that we need a passing element. I'm just not sold we have it.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:36 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

I completely agree that we need a passing element. I'm just not sold we have it.
We WILL have a far more developed passing attack from what we've had and that will be a great addition to our offensive attack!

The D needs to prove they can consistently get to the edge and contain, pressure QB's all game, and get off the field on 3rd down. If the D can do that I have no fear of the Offense doing their job!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:55 pm

Our take on Chris Murray:

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:37 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

We WILL have a far more developed passing attack from what we've had and that will be a great addition to our offensive attack!

The D needs to prove they can consistently get to the edge and contain, pressure QB's all game, and get off the field on 3rd down. If the D can do that I have no fear of the Offense doing their job!
Jeez how did this go from we aren't sure if we have that all-league QB to put us over the top to we don't know anything about anyone and our defense sucks?!! :lol: :lol: :wink:

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:48 pm

I thought whenever our OL went up against a top tier defense, in particular along the DL, they got worked pretty good. Part of that could be the DL knew what to expect but we lost a lot of 1 on 1 battles against those defenses.

And if you can't execute a screen or slant to keep that DL honest, good DLs will continue to eat us up.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:04 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:21 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
codecat wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
iaafan wrote:
The Butcher wrote:
RobertCats wrote:

Our passing offense will have more options, yes, and it should be better...but our rushing attack will probably take a step back too. Teams couldn't key on Ifanse with TA back there...it will be easier for them to do it now. Rovig has to be able to make them pay if they stack the box.