Bonton returning???

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Bonton returning???

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Keep hearing/reading about this.... just a rumor or actually gonna happen? Anyone have any facts?

That would be quite the story

FTG- GO CATS GO!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Bonton returning???

Post by gtapp » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:26 pm
Keep hearing/reading about this.... just a rumor or actually gonna happen? Anyone have any facts?

Who?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:35 pm

gtapp wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:18 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:26 pm

Who?
Isaac bonton. Big time recruit 2 years ago, that left after just a couple months in the program. Sounds like he didn’t see eye to eye with fish....

Killed it at his juco, averaged like 20/5/5...

Now there is talk that he might be coming back? I definitely do not know if it’s true or not... just asking anyone that might be “in the know”

FTG- GO CATS GO!

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 pm

Supposedly he would be a package deal with a 6'9" player and his coach coming to Bozeman together. Nothing is firm. He was the leading scorer at the national juco tournament so I'm sure some other coach's saw him.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 pm

Coach Sprinkle “likes” this tweet

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:55 am

Hope he comes back. Danny is going to get this team going!

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:21 am

Yes Danny will. Kind of reminds me of Brad Steven's as a person and coach.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:27 pm

When is the signing period? Thought someone said 4/17

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 pm

He’ll be back.

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:53 pm

I see Kirby, Tyler and Danny all follow Bonton. He has even retweeted some stuff with Harry and Kirby. Hopefully he realizes with him and his buddy they would have a solid starting 5 for next year. Can you imagine Harry finally having a solid point guard to drive and dish out to him. Also another big man down low as a rebounded and scoring threat. Then ricketts awaiting a dish from a drive to set him up at three ball. Could be a big year. I can't imagine how big of a slap in the face to Fish it would be if Bonton came back and they thrived. We will see.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:50 am

I’d be surprised that MSU would just welcome him back with open arms after the way he left. I heard he threw a hissy fit that he wasn’t playing ahead of Frey and then left town. Would Frey happily welcome him back? Would MSU admin and coaches? Maybe he left on better terms than I had heard.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:50 am
I’d be surprised that MSU would just welcome him back with open arms after the way he left. I heard he threw a hissy fit that he wasn’t playing ahead of Frey and then left town. Would Frey happily welcome him back? Would MSU admin and coaches? Maybe he left on better terms than I had heard.
I could see them chalking it up to a disagreement with the coaching staff in place at the time. In my mind, if Frey is OK with it, MSU might as well be. I don't know the whole story though. If Bonton thinks he can co-exist with Frey, and Sprinkle thinks he has a handle on the history, I don't see an issue.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:01 pm

People who are "in the know" have stated that Bonton and Frey are actually pretty good friends... so I don't think that would be an issue. Thats just what I have read...

anyway, I hope he comes back. The guy is legit!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Much better terms than what you heard. He’s a good guy and his teammates loved him. MSU would have zero issues with him coming back.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
From everything I've heard, he didn't demand to play ahead of Frey specifically, just to start. According to his supporters, Bonton got a list of what he had to do from Fish to start. He did all those things. He didn't start.

To be fair to Fish, Bonton's production at MSU didn't merit starting. 86 points on 86 shots, and a .6 AST/TOV ratio, not a standout on defense. Not a formula for a starting guard. Of course, that was over 11 games in a bench role, so it's possible that this was nothing more than a protracted slump, and I didn't post these stats to argue that Bonton is a bad player. Most athletes wouldn't expect a coach to promote a slumping bench player to starter, though.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Much better terms than what you heard. He’s a good guy and his teammates loved him. MSU would have zero issues with him coming back.
I asked around a little bit. We are both a little off. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
I asked around a little bit. We are both a little off. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Well that's it then. If a troll says it's so, then the definitive word has been spoken. No need for further comments.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

GrizgradCatFan

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:45 pm

I would be curious tomorrow if we hear something as Danny hasn't named his assistants as far as I know. Also spring signing day.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm

allcat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Well that's it then. If a troll says it's so, then the definitive word has been spoken. No need for further comments.
This “troll” has had more inside intel on this site than 90% here and my stuff has been 100% spot on. Thanks for playing though.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:38 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:01 pm
allcat wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:34 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
This “troll” has had more inside intel on this site than 90% here and my stuff has been 100% spot on. Thanks for playing though.
Well alrighty then.

Whatever you say, Kanye... :roll:

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: