New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: New head coach search

Post by thefrank1 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:11 am

For those concerned about the ability of Leon to conduct a quality search, take a look at the article in the Bozeman Chronicle today. It says a lot about his abilities and past history. A good read.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:54 pm

I know next to nothing about finding coaches,etc. I was wondering if the current list of candidates would point in the direction that would lead you/us to believe Leon has some connection to a coach who he would like to see coach here? To my very thin knowledge, I would not think so, but wanted to get others opinions. To me, they seem like unbiased, somewhat "vanilla" choices. I'm not saying they aren't qualified, just that they seem to be what most any A.D. and his team would find.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:06 pm

msu_agfan wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:54 pm
I know next to nothing about finding coaches,etc. I was wondering if the current list of candidates would point in the direction that would lead you/us to believe Leon has some connection to a coach who he would like to see coach here? To my very thin knowledge, I would not think so, but wanted to get others opinions. To me, they seem like unbiased, somewhat "vanilla" choices. I'm not saying they aren't qualified, just that they seem to be what most any A.D. and his team would find.
Montana State is not quite Kansas or North Carolina. There is not that many known coaches who are itching to come here. They have to have a reason to come. It may be to go anywhere that is up a level, or like Sprinkle it's going home. I am not impressed with Looney's coaching during the chipper. Being down he doesn't seem to have a plan except to hope Hommes can somehow win it for him. Hommes is finding out that getting open one on one is not that easy for a 6'-8" forward.

2024 Resume dominance

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:37 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:51 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:01 pm
I am not picking the best candidate, but Shaw’s resume is impressive.

https://wouwolves.com/coaches.aspx?rc=824&path=mbball
I certainly hope you're not picking the best candidate, unless you're Nico Harrison or have extensively consulted him.

Shaw was an assistant for Durham for two seasons in the early '90s. Am I remembering correctly that he interviewed for the MSU job when Fish was ultimately hired?
Nico’s secretary put me on hold so I mentioned Phat Cat and she hung up???....

All three look like good candidates. Each should have solid recruiting connections In their current regions: Northwest, California and Utah.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:17 am

Good news for you folk. Starting in about 30 minutes I will be in my car driving to a couple locations with NO internet access for most of the day. Why is this good new other than you will not have to read my posts or tweets. Back when Huse was announced and again when Fish was announced I was in a similar situation where a new coach was announced and yet I did hear about it for about 4-8 hours until I got home, so chances are pretty good something should break about 8:30-9:00 AM.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:47 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:17 am
Good news for you folk. Starting in about 30 minutes I will be in my car driving to a couple locations with NO internet access for most of the day. Why is this good new other than you will not have to read my posts or tweets. Back when Huse was announced and again when Fish was announced I was in a similar situation where a new coach was announced and yet I did hear about it for about 4-8 hours until I got home, so chances are pretty good something should break about 8:30-9:00 AM.
:) not a bad theory but my guess is nothing will break until later tomorrow or even thurs.

There are candidates still interviewing on campus today, It’s down to 4 with interviews finishing today and in the morning.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:48 pm

Still hoping for Danny to be the choice but we will see?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:49 pm