New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Re: New head coach search

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:41 am

gtapp wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am
Bobby Knight!!!
I really, REALLY hope this is a joke.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cu-Ag-Au
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Cu-Ag-Au » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:48 am

Think of the publicity coup. Put Bozeman on the map. Knight gets pissed off about some call, instead of him throwing a plastic chair across the court, he wings his walker! Videos would go viral. :lol:

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am

I'll throw an obscure name out there that is a great young coach, but has had success everywhere he's been. Craig Doty, currently the head coach at Emporia State. Lacking Division I experience, but can REALLY coach and has a great personality. His last two stops, prior to this past year which was his first at Emporia State, he won national championships at places that had never won.
Another route that could be taken is to hire an old coach, thought to be retired to come take the reins for a couple of years and have him have your heir apparent as the associate head coach. Use the old coach's name and cache to get some instant credibility and have a good initial push, then have the AHC learn and be ready to take over.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am

phantom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am
I'll throw an obscure name out there that is a great young coach, but has had success everywhere he's been. Craig Doty, currently the head coach at Emporia State. Lacking Division I experience, but can REALLY coach and has a great personality. His last two stops, prior to this past year which was his first at Emporia State, he won national championships at places that had never won.
Another route that could be taken is to hire an old coach, thought to be retired to come take the reins for a couple of years and have him have your heir apparent as the associate head coach. Use the old coach's name and cache to get some instant credibility and have a good initial push, then have the AHC learn and be ready to take over.
Yea, that worked real well for the Griz when they hired the ex Florida State coach several years ago!

2024 Resume dominance

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:14 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:59 am
phantom wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:19 am
Yea, that worked real well for the Griz when they hired the ex Florida State coach several years ago!
Well, if there was a time it didn't work, then there's no chance of it ever working.

desmond1957
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by desmond1957 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:21 pm

MSU tried that with Hank Anderson who also brought Juarez (sp) who ended up Hank's successor. That set back the Cat program a few years!!!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm

We need a coach with E N E R G Y that wants to go out and interact constantly with players boosters and recruits.

2024 Resume dominance

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:46 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:02 pm
We need a coach with E N E R G Y that wants to go out and interact constantly with players boosters and recruits.
100% agree! If we can find an experienced, youthful coach who can engage all around him. It doesn’t have to be but if we can find a person who fits this profile and has connections to the state... homerun hire.
That’s why I’ve said time and time again.
Danny SprInkle and Justin Wetzel should be contacted for this position ASAP!

kcatz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by kcatz » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Coach Fish hit all of this. He was at events outof season and worked to promote the MSU brand whenever he could.

For example the Chamber of Commerce used to host a kick off party for football season when Brad Huse was still the coach he would show up long enough to say hi and get out. .it literally looked and felt like he was there because he had to be.

Contrast this with Coach Fish, who was there early and the last to leave. He Loved the Bobcats and Bozeman and if you spent more than 2 minutes talking to him you couldn't miss it. He didn't just live and breath Bobcat Basketball he lived and breathed the Bobcats, all of them from the basketball team to the under waste basket weavers, he didn't care he loved and supported them all with all he had.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm

kcatz wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 pm
Helcat72 wrote:
Coach Fish hit all of this. He was at events outof season and worked to promote the MSU brand whenever he could.

For example the Chamber of Commerce used to host a kick off party for football season when Brad Huse was still the coach he would show up long enough to say hi and get out. .it literally looked and felt like he was there because he had to be.

Contrast this with Coach Fish, who was there early and the last to leave. He Loved the Bobcats and Bozeman and if you spent more than 2 minutes talking to him you couldn't miss it. He didn't just live and breath Bobcat Basketball he lived and breathed the Bobcats, all of them from the basketball team to the under waste basket weavers, he didn't care he loved and supported them all with all he had.

I agree. Well said.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:34 pm

imacat wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 pm
kcatz wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:22 pm
Helcat72 wrote:

I agree. Well said.
I guess it just didn't work for him.

2024 Resume dominance

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 am

Is it just me thinking this, or does the administration base a successful season on "beating the griz", and run and fund the program to do exactly that? I keep reading in the mainstream media how Coach Fish lost 9 of 10 games to um, as if that was the only team that we ever played. I loved Coach Fish's statement that the griz game counted 1 in the standings, just like all the others. I feel like all the constituent parts of MSU, myself as a fan included, might look at a bigger picture. If our goal is to beat one team, then we should just recruit for that until we do that. I say this after watching Michigan just toy with um this evening. Twice as many dunks as made threes. Hopefully the administration can find a coach who also looks at a larger goal — and just makes the griz another notch on the basket support on the team's way to some level of relevance. Oh, to be a Murray St. or a Yale, or even a #15 Bradley this week — not another um.

autocat

Post by autocat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 am

What will be different in three years?

Leo can say this was his first hire and everyone is happy with the results. Hiring and outside consultant is an excuse if things go south with the hire. Nobody has to take responsibility for the hire and the process starts over again.

How many guys are going to be leaving the program with a new coach?

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 am

autocat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:52 am
What will be different in three years?

Leo can say this was his first hire and everyone is happy with the results. Hiring and outside consultant is an excuse if things go south with the hire. Nobody has to take responsibility for the hire and the process starts over again.

How many guys are going to be leaving the program with a new coach?
About the players both returners and signed recruits. I have no direct knowledge about any player or recruit asking to be released at this point. That does not mean it has not happened I have not heard of any. This is what seems to be common place in programs after a head coach has fired, and this is what Field told the players when Huse was let go. The AD will tell ALL players that your scholarship will be renewed and guaranteed for the up coming school year, if that is your choice to come back. Any players wanting to or considering a transfer or out of their letter of intent, if you wait until the new coach is hired and have a sit down talk with him, we will grant you a full unconditional release if you still want it after talking with the coach. This has been pretty common the past 10-15 years, but the transfer rules have been getting weaker the past couple of years so some players can just leave.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:43 am
Is it just me thinking this, or does the administration base a successful season on "beating the griz", and run and fund the program to do exactly that? I keep reading in the mainstream media how Coach Fish lost 9 of 10 games to um, as if that was the only team that we ever played. I loved Coach Fish's statement that the griz game counted 1 in the standings, just like all the others. I feel like all the constituent parts of MSU, myself as a fan included, might look at a bigger picture. If our goal is to beat one team, then we should just recruit for that until we do that. I say this after watching Michigan just toy with um this evening. Twice as many dunks as made threes. Hopefully the administration can find a coach who also looks at a larger goal — and just makes the griz another notch on the basket support on the team's way to some level of relevance. Oh, to be a Murray St. or a Yale, or even a #15 Bradley this week — not another um.
Because it is the MOST IMPORTANT GAME!! What game averages 2x the number of people actually walking through the doors over all the others?? Losing every single year in that game kills the energy and those 3000 people that only show up for that game don't come to any others. '

Fish was 0-8 against WSU and 3-6 against EWU so he its not like he was getting the job done against them either.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:21 am

************* RUMOR ALERT ***********
<and when I say rumor I mean rumor>

It has been mentioned by Coulter that MSU has hired a Search Firm to help with the selection process for the new coach. He may have but from everything I am hearing that has not stopped him from being extremely active in the search. I hear from multiple sources that almost immediately after having his sit down with Fish Costello was on the phone to a handful possible coaching candidates that he has had his eyes on. I also hear that it has not stopped there, Costello has been burning up the phone lines and has had multiple conversation(interviews?) with quite a few candidates already. Costello is VERY active in this process and it seems things are moving very quickly!

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:29 am

Jon Scheyer - Duke asst. head coach would be a good choice.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:36 am

Looks like these search firms can do as much or as little as the AD wants.
“Many people think you hire search firms to identify [coaching] candidates. That’s not how it happens – at least not at Iowa State. I’m not doing my job if I don’t know who the candidates are. What we hired Parker Executive Search for, is to help us strategize and execute our plan. Daniel and Dan allowed us to be in a position to get the person that we wanted to get.”
https://www.parkersearch.com/practices-areas/sports

ESPN article on a search firm http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... -athletics

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:33 am

Some of this discussion reminds me of how many people were upset when MSU fired Rob Ash.
I personally liked Ash but I did agree with him getting fired. Ash lost to four different UM coaches.

And the D was atrocious.

When I look at the players we had at MSU this year, there was some dang good talent. Yet,
we ended up in the middle of the pack, and as others have said. had a terrible record against
UM, WSU and EWU.

It all comes back to winning. Fish had five years and when you look at the roster for next year,
it was pretty obvious we would drop next season.

So like so many others, yes, I did like many things about Fish and dang I wish he could've
done better. I remember after he beat UM thinking that he had turned the corner for the program,
but it just didn't turn out that way.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:58 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:58 am

Because it is the MOST IMPORTANT GAME!! What game averages 2x the number of people actually walking through the doors over all the others?? Losing every single year in that game kills the energy and those 3000 people that only show up for that game don't come to any others. '

Fish was 0-8 against WSU and 3-6 against EWU so he its not like he was getting the job done against them either.
Hi, Techno. Oh, we totally agree on that. This was not meant in any way to be a Fish apology. Beating um is too short a measuring stick. I want a new coach (and an administration) who says "being a 15 seed and getting trounced by Michigan is not good enough!" Let's be better than that. And then beating um will come naturally.

I'm thinking sort of the current football model — eyes on a bigger prize and beating the griz will come naturally!

Go, Cats, Go. Beat the griz, and keep on going.