New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Re: New head coach search

Post by The Butcher » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 am

mslacat wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:23 pm
This tells me, and I could well be wrong, that Costello is making the decision himself, no Peter Field transparent as hell selection committee, with booster, current and former athletes, athletic department personnel. It will be his choice period! I have Noooooooo problem with that, but heck personally, I would like to know who the candidates were. Again though that's fine. I also wonder if he has someone in particular in mind. The only thing I think they should tell us right now who is running the program in Fish's absence. 5 year ago assistant coach Shawn Dirden was chosen to run the program in Huse's absence and Haslam was retained to help. It would just make me feel better to know the players had somewhere to go, someone to talk to and not feel like the program was in complete free fall. I hope Haslam (or one of the coaches) is filling that position.
How much did the "transparent" hiring help? Should fans and boosters have that much of a say on hiring a coach? I do not feel that input opened up donors’ wallets or put fans in seats? Personally, I think the athletic department (and if desired an outside consultant) should make these decisions.

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:30 am

homeytennis wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:11 pm
Boise State has a couple of assistant coaches who have had D-1 head jobs. Mike Burns was the head coach at Eastern Washington and Tim Duryea was the head coach at Utah State and recruited the current Mountain West player of the year to Logan. There is an assistant at Santa Clara Scott Garson who was an assistant at UCLA, was the head coach at College of Idaho had a great W-L record. When he was at UCLA he recruited Russell Westbrook and Kevin Love.
Garson would be great. I'd be all in on him.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am

The Butcher wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:12 am
mslacat wrote:
This tells me, and I could well be wrong, that Costello is making the decision himself, no Peter Field transparent as hell selection committee, with booster, current and former athletes, athletic department personnel. It will be his choice period! I have Noooooooo problem with that, but heck personally, I would like to know who the candidates were. Again though that's fine. I also wonder if he has someone in particular in mind. The only thing I think they should tell us right now who is running the program in Fish's absence. 5 year ago assistant coach Shawn Dirden was chosen to run the program in Huse's absence and Haslam was retained to help. It would just make me feel better to know the players had somewhere to go, someone to talk to and not feel like the program was in complete free fall. I hope Haslam (or one of the coaches) is filling that position.
How much did the "transparent" hiring help? Should fans and boosters have that much of a say on hiring a coach? I do not feel that input opened up donors’ wallets or put fans in seats? Personally, I think the athletic department (and if desired an outside consultant) should make these decisions.
There is a selection committee. And a search firm will be used. In terms of the program, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Coach Fish runs spring practices for the players still. I will confirm that once I reach him. But he loves coaching that much.

227Griz
New Recruit

Post by 227Griz » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 am

I name I would keep my eye on is Brian Cooley.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am

227Griz wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:53 am
I name I would keep my eye on is Brian Cooley.
He is definitely an up and comer. Has a very impressive resume as an assistant. He has been around success his entire coaching career.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:54 am

Plus SDSU on his resume.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:55 am

The Butcher wrote:
mslacat wrote:
I am not saying that Field's method is/was better or worse than Costello's, simply pointing out that the process will be very different than what we saw before. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:43 am
The Butcher wrote:
mslacat wrote:
There is a selection committee. And a search firm will be used. In terms of the program, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Coach Fish runs spring practices for the players still. I will confirm that once I reach him. But he loves coaching that much.
I am not a big fan of search firm, nobody has ever proven to me that programs get better results using them as opposed to using their own resources. Plus the tend weed out people with connections to the program, or take into account what it takes to win at a particular location/school. You get generic head coach candidates. Not good news for people like Danny Sprinkle or regional lower level coaches looking to move up. But this is purely my opinion. Would be interested to hear from somebody who has positive experience working with a national search firm.

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:23 pm

I'd like Danny Sprinkle to get a real good look. The other names on this list are good names too. I wouldn't have fired Fish, but that is just me. Brad Huse ran this program into the ground...for that Fish needed 7 years. I don't know if he is around or what he is doing but I may remember James Clark from 01-02' getting into coaching. He was always a class act when I went to school with him...I like Sprinkle for the job but I am willing to value other candidates too!

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm

oedipuss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm
Somebody I'd like to see brought in for a cup of coffee is Justin Wetzel.
Justin Wetzel should get a fair look if he's interested, (AND Danny). I posted a sprinkle article a couple days back and thought I'd post this 2013 article when Wetzel join the Cat staff. WOW MUST READ!!!

Former MSUB assistant Justin Wetzel continues ... - The Billings Gazette
https://billingsgazette.com/...justin-w ... f-fb862fc0...

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Willneal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 pm
oedipuss wrote:
Justin Wetzel should get a fair look if he's interested, (AND Danny). I posted a sprinkle article a couple days back and thought I'd post this 2013 article when Wetzel join the Cat staff. WOW MUST READ!!!

Sorry the first link did not work, hope this does. Like I said a great read!
https://billingsgazette.com/sports/coll ... 0bbfb.html

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm

Willneal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm
Willneal wrote:
oedipuss wrote:

Wetzel sounds like one heck of a guy. Would be a great positive influence...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:59 pm
Willneal wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:28 pm
Willneal wrote:
oedipuss wrote:

Wetzel sounds like one heck of a guy. Would be a great positive influence...
Where is he now?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Justin Wetzel is with an NBA development team belonging to the Milwaukee Bucks.

http://www.cutbankpioneerpress.com/cut_ ... 5c4f7.html

Definitely someone to consider, if he'd like to coach college ball.

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:25 pm

The GLeague team he is coaching had a pretty bad record this year for what it is worth.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 pm

************* RUMOR ALERT ***********
<and when I say rumor I mean rumor>

I have heard Ryan Looney the head basketball coach at Point Loma Nazarene University has/is applying for MSU's job. He has been there 3 year and has gone 17-13 his first season, 21-10 second and this year is 29-4 (and still playing). He has also coached at Seattle Pacific 2009-16 and Eastern Oregon 2004-2009. In his 14 seasons as a head coach he has had 11 seasons with 20 or more wins, and has made the NAIA or NCAA D-2 Tourneys 10 times. His overall record is 325-131.

Just for a little added trivia his best player off of this year team is averaging 21.8 points 5.9 rebounds and he is 6-8 JR Daulton Hommes the little brother of former Bobcats Women great, Jasmines Hommes. And no I have no reason to think he would transfer if Looney got the job! Just a little side bit of info I noticed.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:03 pm
Plus the tend weed out people with connections to the program
Well...no, not exactly. It's that the search firm doesn't usually consider those people in the first place.

A program using its own resources to search for candidates considers candidates with connections to the program (although those connections aren't always obvious to the fans). A search firm considers candidates with connections to the search firm.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

homeytennis
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by homeytennis » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 pm

Looney is a very good coach. He turned Eastern Oregon from a graveyard to a winner almost overnight.

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:31 am

mslacat wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:01 pm
************* RUMOR ALERT ***********
<and when I say rumor I mean rumor>

I have heard Ryan Looney the head basketball coach at Point Loma Nazarene University has/is applying for MSU's job. He has been there 3 year and has gone 17-13 his first season, 21-10 second and this year is 29-4 (and still playing). He has also coached at Seattle Pacific 2009-16 and Eastern Oregon 2004-2009. In his 14 seasons as a head coach he has had 11 seasons with 20 or more wins, and has made the NAIA or NCAA D-2 Tourneys 10 times. His overall record is 325-131.

Just for a little added trivia his best player off of this year team is averaging 21.8 points 5.9 rebounds and he is 6-8 JR Daulton Hommes the little brother of former Bobcats Women great, Jasmines Hommes. And no I have no reason to think he would transfer if Looney got the job! Just a little side bit of info I noticed.
This guy has an impressive history. Looks like he knows how to win.

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:12 am

Bobby Knight!!!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN