New head coach search

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

New head coach search

Post by Team10 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:10 pm

It’s just been announced that MSU and Brian Fish will be parting ways. Who are likely candidates for the vacant position? Only name I’ve heard thrown out is Danny Sprinkle.

thefrank1

Re: New head coach search

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Haslam should get serious consideration. Recruits well (Frey) and seems to have the respect of the current players.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:36 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Haslam should get serious consideration. Recruits well (Frey) and seems to have the respect of the current players.
I say this with the caveat that I really like Chris. Quality person and a quality coach. That being said, if you turn to the guy that has been on the staff of the last two coaches that you fired, it would make no sense. If that is a move you wanted to make, then you fire Fish last year and hire Chris.

MamaRock
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MamaRock » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:40 pm

If Haslam gets Fish's playbook out if his head then yes maybe. Is he going to push full court press? If no to those and other things then NO he is not fit for the job. He's only known Fish's moves and that clearly hasnt worked. It may be time for all new crew.

BobCatFan

Post by BobCatFan » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:21 pm

Granted, I have not been able to follow basketball as much i as should, but Fish made the program respectable. The talent level is superior from the past few coaching regimes. I hope his firing does not set us back.

oedipuss
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by oedipuss » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm

Somebody I'd like to see brought in for a cup of coffee is Justin Wetzel.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:46 pm

Do we talk to top assistants at Montana, Weber State or Eastern Washington? Is there anyone with recent conference experience that makes sense ?

LZCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by LZCAT » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Wow, can't wait for a long season of starting over. When are people going to figure out that quality players are super hard to get to come to MSU. With brutal winters and tough admission standards at MSU I just don't know if it can be done. It's not the coach that's the problem, it's everything else. I hope I'm wrong. Mr. Costello had better be up to the challenge of facility improvement or the football program could also start to level out. Just disappointed to have to start all over I guess. Go Cats.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 pm

I've heard Sprinkle. Maybe he expressed interest. I thought it was telling our AD had no comment in the article I read the other day. Not "we'll sit down and talk". I'm in agreement. Talent is wayyyyy better now than under Huse.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Another name-just for fun. Former Gardiner Bruin: https://minesathletics.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm

LZCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:53 pm
Wow, can't wait for a long season of starting over. When are people going to figure out that quality players are super hard to get to come to MSU. With brutal winters and tough admission standards at MSU I just don't know if it can be done. It's not the coach that's the problem, it's everything else. I hope I'm wrong. Mr. Costello had better be up to the challenge of facility improvement or the football program could also start to level out. Just disappointed to have to start all over I guess. Go Cats.
Is it better in Missoula?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Catlady wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 pm
LZCAT wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:53 pm
Is it better in Missoula?
Actually the winters are much milder in and around Missoula. I also think Missoula has much more diversity--just not cutting it academically for kids. If the powers that be can get rid of the old stuffed shirts their unionized faculty puts in the forefront and forces them into the 21st Century with an increased online presence, they can stop the bleeding enrollment wise. Their hiring the former Purdue online professor will help but he has a real difficult job ahead of him. Their union is killing their enrollment.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:49 pm

This will be the first "major" sport hire for Costello.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 pm

oedipuss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm
Hey NOW we are talking! Another Cut Bank alum Keithan Gregg just helped lead PSU girls to the dance and recently served as director of b.ball ops for both PSU men and women. (Realistically both are a few years away IMO)

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:44 pm

Jim Shaw current head coach at Western Oregon and former Bobcats assistant is a name surly to come up. 22-11 this year and 32-2 last year.

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:23 pm
oedipuss wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:42 pm
Hey NOW we are talking! Another Cut Bank alum Keithan Gregg just helped lead PSU girls to the dance and recently served as director of b.ball ops for both PSU men and women. (Realistically both are a few years away IMO)
Love the names that I'm reading, think Sprinkle would be great and is prob the favorite. I respectfully disagree about Wetzel being "a few years away" I think he should be considered. He's literally been a successful head coach at every level of basketball and is currently working in the Milwaukee Bucks organization and coaching with the Bucks D-league team.

(Not familiar with Gregg's coaching career, but always great to see a Montana boy doing well.)

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:50 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 pm
I've heard Sprinkle. Maybe he expressed interest. I thought it was telling our AD had no comment in the article I read the other day. Not "we'll sit down and talk". I'm in agreement. Talent is wayyyyy better now than under Huse.
Tyler Hall was a once in forever player! But now he's gone and we have a beautiful guard in Harold Frey returning. Devin Kirby can become more of a force but from what I have seen, I would have predicted if Fish had stayed a big drop down next season. With this years team we could only manage 1 tourney win against the worst team in the league so I guess I understand where the university has done that it did.

We need an upgrade to more than the team we had, as much as they hustled on the offensive end, they struggled defensively and with the one winged bird, we were not going to go higher without Tyler in the group.

Wish Coach Fish the best, and will be interested to see how the next 3 years pan out. I think we have some pieces to build on!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:51 pm

lutecat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:57 pm
Tyler Hall was a once in forever player! But now he's gone and we have a beautiful guard in Harold Frey returning. Devin Kirby can become more of a force but from what I have seen, I would have predicted if Fish had stayed a big drop down next season. With this years team we could only manage 1 tourney win against the worst team in the league so I guess I understand where the university has done what it did.

We need an upgrade to more than the team we had, as much as they hustled on the offensive end, they struggled defensively and with the one winged bird, we were not going to go higher without Tyler in the group.

Wish Coach Fish the best, and will be interested to see how the next 3 years pan out. I think we have some pieces to build on!

Willneal
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Willneal » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:58 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:21 pm
Another name-just for fun. Former Gardiner Bruin: https://minesathletics.com/coaches.aspx ... ath=mbball
Another solid name with Montana ties, has done well at the D2 level.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:56 am

The best coach for the job, is currently coaching in Montana, will not be offered and if offered would not take it