QB Update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

QB Update

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

What are people hearing on our QB situation?

1. Is Murray involved in Spring practice?

2. How is Rovig's foot healing?

3. Has Bauman bulked up and found a little more speed?

4. Can Beltran break through and pass the others?

I think all four offer something different. I also feel all four could be a solid starter depending on the philosophy. Coach Miller has a lot to work with!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB Update

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:05 am

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

I think all four offer something different. I also feel all four could be a solid starter depending on the philosophy. Coach Miller has a lot to work with!
Rovig is leader in the clubhouse. Foot is fine. Bauman will push him. Beltran is #3. Murray is focusing on school and working out with the team only. I don't think he will participate in practices this spring. His time will come after his grades are posted this spring.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am

I sure hope Bauman hasn't bulked up any more! Kid is 6'6" 230 and plays QB!

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am

91catAlum wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:16 am
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:32 am
91catAlum wrote:
I also noticed the poster mentined bulking up and adding speed in the same post. Can't have both. Which do you want?

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:21 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
gtapp wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
I thought Troy had that covered. Can you have two on your team? Capes getting tangled up and all.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:29 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:36 am
gtapp wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
2 on one team?

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm

gtapp wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Gary, that's simply not true.

Many, many, many players have added weight and speed.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
gtapp wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Actually very few have accomplished this task. Maybe if they gain 5 lbs or less. Besides we are talking about Bauman here not Anderson. He was already not the fastest guy. Now you take a 230 lbs. QBand add weight????

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:05 pm

gtapp wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:58 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:44 pm
gtapp wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Actually very few have accomplished this task. Maybe if they gain 5 lbs or less. Besides we are talking about Bauman here not Anderson. He was already not the fastest guy. Now you take a 230 lbs. QBand add weight????
The vast majority of NFL players have gained weight and increased speed from HS to the combine. The testing numbers are out there, go ahead and look.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 pm

My thought was I don't see any way around the fact that as he lifts and matures, he is going to be a BIG BOY. I hope foot speed and mobility come with the growth. I kind of see a Ben Rothlisburger type player.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 pm

The old saying of getting bigger, stronger, and faster has now been changed to bigger, stronger, or faster.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm

So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:56 pm

You know it's been too long since the season ended when a thread goes off the rails this fast.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:21 pm

superbobcat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:39 am

I thought you said update. Should be QB questions

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Norsky19
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Norsky19 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am

94VegasCat wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:28 pm
So let me get this straight. A high school kid gets a scholly to play football at XYZ State U because he’s the fastest guy in XYZ. As he matures and adds weight and strength, he’ll never be faster than the day he set foot on campus? That’s the most rediculous thing I’ve heard in a while on BN.
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

https://uk.humankinetics.com/blogs/exce ... tion-speed

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:32 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Correct.
Some theories say muscle contracts at a speed determined by genetics. If this is true, top speed won't change as measured by a radar gun. However, with more muscle you can get to your inherent top speed quicker, realizing a faster 40 time. I'll take quickness over top speed in football....both are awesome. My own 40 times, vertical and cone drill results all improved greatly through Olympic lifts and heavy power lifting. I also gained 20 lbs over 3 years. Increased weight, increased quickness vastly increased impacts. Not to mention improved running mechanics and muscle memory through training and practice.....

Newer research contests some of these older ones by showing muscle can contract faster with training (fast twitch) and combined with explosive training...well you get the idea. BIGGER FASTER STRONGER. (not the program ;)

Training the nervous system to recruit more fibers at any given moment in time is another factor in power output. Trained athletes are able to recruit a higher percentage then average folks through training and have vastly improved quickness with hypertrophied cells. Ironically couch potatoes have a higher percentage of Type IIB cells.....it's complicated. ;) (allows for fight or flight response with a dose of epinephrine)
So what you're saying is now that I gained a hundred pounds I should be able to run a hundred-yard dash in under 10 seconds,? Cool, to bad I used up all of my eligibility or I'd be a badass on the field now.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:11 pm

Ha ha MTbob if only it were that easy. :lol: I don't know you but highly doubt that you gained those 100 pounds from the right training program.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:46 am

Norsky19 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:17 am
94VegasCat wrote:
Correct.

What’s the average distance it takes an elite athletes to get to full speed? If it’s ‘burst’ that’s increasing, the 40 time is getting better albeit small increments (if I’m reading correctly). Troy Anderson it appears, hits max speed within a few strides. Chris Murray appears as such too. Not saying they are elite runners but damn impressive by Big Sky Conference standards.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 am

Train by running at a decline and I guarantee you'll get faster.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.