Montana High School Hoops

The place for news, information and discussion of High School Sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Post Reply
User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

Early predictions for the basketball season after seeing a few games. I'm curious to know what everybody thinks about the season. I've been able to see a few games in AA, A, and B so far.

Sounds like Hellgate is a pretty heavy favorite in AA boys. I heard they had an impressive second half against Bozeman Friday night. Anybody out there going to beat them?

I saw Helena High girls play Bozeman and made them look silly. Bozeman ain't bad (and will get better). They also smacked Senior around, who I've seen play this year. Senior isn't as good without Bad Bear, obviously, but her replacement is still one of the better post players in Montana. Very physical. So to beat them up like that is pretty impressive.

I went to the Western A tipoff in Missoula and watched Butte Central and Browning. I thought Browning would win, but their big man (can't remember his name) was in foul trouble the whole game. I thought they looked like the more impressive team, but Central won it. Hamilton looked good, but I didn't watch a whole game. Those seem like the top teams in the west to me.

Nobody looked as good as Columbia Falls on the girls' side that I saw. Frenchtown played them tough, but Finberg always has good teams and they should be contenders. I saw Havre play in the off-season and they seemed to lose quite a bit but they can still shoot, so they're always in the mix. Who else?

In Class B I'm a little biased but Bigfork should be in the mix again. I believe Anders Epperly is the smartest basketball player I've ever watched. Loyola is looking good too, so Tuesday's game at Loyola (on SWX) should be a dandy. Epperly and Logan Gilliard from Bigfork play on an AAU team with some of the Loyola boys (and a few Hellgate players), so they know each other well. Deer Lodge should be pretty good out of the West too, but only two teams from the west make it to state so somebody will get left out.

On the girls' side I only know about Florence. They got the short end of that Western B deal last year, where only two teams make it to state. They return everybody and should be fine. Deer Lodge will be good in the West too. Bigfork will get Rakiah Grende back and should be competitive, but without her they've struggled so far to a 2-2 record.

I don't know a thing about Class C. Is Arlee the team to beat on the boys' side again? I saw a little bit if Belt vs. Bigfork and Belt looks really good. Anybody else?

What players do we need to watch for? Who's worth traveling to go see?


Image

User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4986
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm

I'd say Manhattan Christian is the favorite in class C on the boys side.

Most of my knowledge will be in class A. From the west I think you are spot on with Browning, Hamilton, and Butte Central being the favorites. I think Dillon and Frenchtown are maybe the next two from the West. The east is really tough again this year. Hardin and Billings Central are the favorites. Next I think is Lewistown. Then I wouldn't sleep on Laurel and/or Livingston--both are capable of giving someone a run for their money.

If I were to bet on it today...I'd guess Hardin may repeat.


Image

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:17 pm

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:25 pm
I'd say Manhattan Christian is the favorite in class C on the boys side.

Most of my knowledge will be in class A. From the west I think you are spot on with Browning, Hamilton, and Butte Central being the favorites. I think Dillon and Frenchtown are maybe the next two from the West. The east is really tough again this year. Hardin and Billings Central are the favorites. Next I think is Lewistown. Then I wouldn't sleep on Laurel and/or Livingston--both are capable of giving someone a run for their money.

If I were to bet on it today...I'd guess Hardin may repeat.
I thought of Manhattan Christian right after I posted. I need to go watch them play.


Image

MTCat75
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:51 am

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by MTCat75 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm

Manhattan Christian has a home game coming up with Three Forks in a couple weeks. Should be a good game and about the only real test for Christian until divisional.



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm

MTCat75 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Manhattan Christian has a home game coming up with Three Forks in a couple weeks. Should be a good game and about the only real test for Christian until divisional.
Game is tonight in Churchill.



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm
MTCat75 wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:10 pm
Manhattan Christian has a home game coming up with Three Forks in a couple weeks. Should be a good game and about the only real test for Christian until divisional.
Game is tonight in Churchill.
Manhattan Christian wins 53-48 in a tough defensive battle. Three Forks was very physical and ended up having two of their best players foul out. Their big guy was in foul trouble all night. Christian's players were picking themselves off the floor all night but kept playing hard. MC lead most of the way, but lost their lead briefly in the 3rd quarter as the Wolves came out of the locker room with a big run. It was nip and tuck until the end. MC missed a boat load of free throws that could have given them some separation. I haven't seen a box score yet so I don't know Bellach's numbers, but he couldn't buy one in the second half. He even missed on a dunk attempt-but he was fouled. The game was really chippy all the way. Three Forks has a good team. MC won't be tested again until the Western C Divisional. They're really good, but not very deep. They'll probably have trouble with some of the Indian teams like they usually do. Coach Fish was there to watch his signee Caleb Bellach from MCHS.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am

The season is winding down and I'm curious to see what people think. I'll be at both AA in Butte and B in Belgrade. I'd like to get to C Boys at the Metra too but I'll be watching on the NFHS network while I'm at the other tournaments.

I was at Western AA divisionals last weekend and Hellgate looks good, but Great Falls High has been their kryptonite at state the last few years, so let's see if Hellgate can finish a good season, something they've struggled to do over the years with some great players. Rollie Worster (sp?) is fun to watch and they have plenty more good players around him. Helena High gave them a great game in the semis, so maybe they already got their scare. I don't think there's much else in Western AA on the boys' side. Sentinel has talent but it's young. Helena High plays hard and physical. Capital is alright but they showed Saturday night they don't belong on the same court with Hellgate. If there's an upset it might be a fun state tournament, otherwise I don't think anybody can beat Hellgate. Bozeman seems to be getting hot at the right time after looking pretty mediocre late in the regular season. I think it'll be Hellgate beating Bozeman in the championship.

On the girls' side, the Perkins girl from Helena is fun to watch. She very little time or space to get a shot off, even from well behind the three-point line. She's no slouch inside either--pretty clear she's a D-I player. They were upset by Hellgate, who is pretty fun to watch. Hellgate had a terrible game in the championship, which Capital deserves a lot of credit for, but if they play how they're capable of playing, they could make some noise at state. I don't see them beating Helena High again though. Sentinel might have had the most talented team but they never could do anything with it this year. They lacked a true point guard IMO though. I would put my money on Helena High--I think they've gotten their loss out of the way and will grind through to a championship. I like Helena over Hellgate in the championship by about 15.

I haven't watched that much Class A basketball since the beginning of the season. I do like Hamilton though with their experience and athleticism. I'll take them over Browning, who will finally get over the hump against Butte Central. You can tell I have a Western MT bias, but I think the basketball in the west is better right now overall.

Speaking of that bias, I think Columbia Falls will be hard to beat on the girls' side. Cary Finberg has been there plenty and will have his team ready. They have plenty of talent. It seems like Havre and Browning are just not quite at that level, but if either team shoots well, all bets are off. I like C-Falls and Billings Central in the championship with the Wildkats winning a close one.

Class B Boys in Belgrade will be fun. I think the West and the South are the best divisions this year, hands down. Bigfork and Big Timber have to play each other right off the bat, which is too bad. Bigfork had a bad loss to Deer Lodge early and lost to a really good Loyola team, but Big Timber didn't lose a game until Divisionals, where they lost to undefeated Colstrip. I really think Bigfork, Colstrip, Big Timber, and Loyola are all good enough to win it this year. I think if Big Timber can get past Bigfork in the first game, they have the easiest path overall, so I'll take them to win the first Southern B state championship since 2007, over Loyola.

On the girls' side, I really have no idea. I've seen Florence play several times, and Dani Zaun (sp?) is legit. They have a chance, but I think I might pick Mike Savageau and his Three Forks team to get the upset close to home in the first round. I'm going out on a limb and saying three-seeds Fairfield and Three Forks will play for the chipper and Fairfield will take it. That's a WAG though.

Class C Boys is the other tournament I'd really like to watch. It's the most fun tournament to attend. If you're a Class A or AA person and that's all you've ever watched, you owe it to yourself to go watch a Class B or C state tournament. Can't beat it for fan involvement and what it means to the players and their schools and communities. Arlee is good again and they've shown they can play with anybody, having beaten a REALLY GOOD Loyola team at Loyola a month or so ago. Manhattan Christian is probably the favorite with Caleb Bellach. Melstone will have plenty to prove after last year's absolute heartbreak of a loss early on at state. I've heard good things about Chinook, but I don't see them getting past Arlee. I think (and here's my western bias again) Arlee and MC will have a rematch from the Divisional Championship and I have a feeling it will be an all-time great game. Give me MC in overtime.

Class C girls is the only State tournament that's already finished, and congrats to Box Elder on winning again. Northern B and C girls' basketball is just so good.

Should be fun!


Image

User avatar
MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 am
Location: NE Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:06 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am
Class C Boys is the other tournament I'd really like to watch. It's the most fun tournament to attend. If you're a Class A or AA person and that's all you've ever watched, you owe it to yourself to go watch a Class B or C state tournament. Can't beat it for fan involvement and what it means to the players and their schools and communities. Arlee is good again and they've shown they can play with anybody, having beaten a REALLY GOOD Loyola team at Loyola a month or so ago. Manhattan Christian is probably the favorite with Caleb Bellach. Melstone will have plenty to prove after last year's absolute heartbreak of a loss early on at state. I've heard good things about Chinook, but I don't see them getting past Arlee. I think (and here's my western bias again) Arlee and MC will have a rematch from the Divisional Championship and I have a feeling it will be an all-time great game. Give me MC in overtime.


Arlee is going to have all it can handle from Scobey in the opening round. Everyone is talking about MC, Arlee, and Melstone, with good reason, but Scobey and Chinook are both undefeated as well. Scobey is very deep for Class C and is led a couple of really good players in Jeremy Handy and Caden Handran. Not to mention, they beat Melstone last year. Personally, I don't think Arlee makes it back to the title game or even out of the first round (chalk it up to my eastern bias). They have to make it past Scobey in round 1 and likely Chinook in round 2. While MC and Melstone likely meet in the semi final on the other side.


There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4986
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am
I haven't watched that much Class A basketball since the beginning of the season. I do like Hamilton though with their experience and athleticism. I'll take them over Browning, who will finally get over the hump against Butte Central. You can tell I have a Western MT bias, but I think the basketball in the west is better right now overall.
It’ll be interesting but I think the exact opposite. I think the power in class A boys is in the east!


Image

User avatar
MTCowpoke22
BobcatNation Redshirt
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:25 am
Location: NE Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by MTCowpoke22 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:17 pm

Well, I stand corrected. Scobey did give Arlee all it could handle, but weren't able to get it done in the end.


There's the truth, and then there's what's reported in the papers.

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:51 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:18 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am
I haven't watched that much Class A basketball since the beginning of the season. I do like Hamilton though with their experience and athleticism. I'll take them over Browning, who will finally get over the hump against Butte Central. You can tell I have a Western MT bias, but I think the basketball in the west is better right now overall.
It’ll be interesting but I think the exact opposite. I think the power in class A boys is in the east!
I have to admit I really don't know much about Eastern A basketball. I am probably biased by my thought that Western B basketball is better right now. And with Loyola and Bigfork in the championship, people are starting to see that's true. Big Timber was undefeated until Divisionals and Bigfork beat them in the first round. Colstrip was undefeated and Loyola never really had much trouble with them. Harlem was best in the north and Bigfork handled them. And Arlee beat Loyola at Loyola. Now I don't think anybody is better than Hellgate, but is anything more fun than Class B and C basketball? I went to AA in Butte and B in Belgrade yesterday, and give me a smaller-school tournament any day. Fun to see the whole towns out there supporting!


Image

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:50 pm

Manhattan Christian back to the championship against a familiar opponent-the Arlee Warriors for the third year in a row. MCHS beat Melstone in a stall ball game. Time for a HS shot clock.



User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 am

A good night for the Gallatin Valley. The Bozeman Hawks boys win the State AA in dramatic fashion.

And in Class C:
The Arlee Warriors beat two previously undefeated teams to get to the State C Championship game, but the third undefeated team they had to face was just a bridge too far. This MCHS alum has participated in and witnessed a lot state tournament frustration over the years, but the 2018-19 Eagles exercised those demons in a big way. Caleb Bellach was an absolute beast tonight scoring 42 points in a performance that will go down in Class C lore for a long time. Kudos to the Arlee Warriors on a magnificent run these last three years. Good luck to them as they move up to Class B. Way to go Eagles!



John K
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 7985
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:04 am
Location: Great Falls MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by John K » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:01 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 am
A good night for the Gallatin Valley. The Bozeman Hawks boys win the State AA in dramatic fashion.

And in Class C:
The Arlee Warriors beat two previously undefeated teams to get to the State C Championship game, but the third undefeated team they had to face was just a bridge too far. This MCHS alum has participated in and witnessed a lot state tournament frustration over the years, but the 2018-19 Eagles exercised those demons in a big way. Caleb Bellach was an absolute beast tonight scoring 42 points in a performance that will go down in Class C lore for a long time. Kudos to the Arlee Warriors on a magnificent run these last three years. Good luck to them as they move up to Class B. Way to go Eagles!
Actually it's a 4 year run for Arlee. They lost to Box Elder in the championship game in 2016, won the title in 2017 and 2018, before finishing as runners up again this year. 2 titles and 2 2nd place finishes in the last 4 years is obviously very impressive. Congrats to MC on a dominating performance last night though.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:41 am
The season is winding down and I'm curious to see what people think. I'll be at both AA in Butte and B in Belgrade. I'd like to get to C Boys at the Metra too but I'll be watching on the NFHS network while I'm at the other tournaments.

I was at Western AA divisionals last weekend and Hellgate looks good, but Great Falls High has been their kryptonite at state the last few years, so let's see if Hellgate can finish a good season, something they've struggled to do over the years with some great players. Rollie Worster (sp?) is fun to watch and they have plenty more good players around him. Helena High gave them a great game in the semis, so maybe they already got their scare. I don't think there's much else in Western AA on the boys' side. Sentinel has talent but it's young. Helena High plays hard and physical. Capital is alright but they showed Saturday night they don't belong on the same court with Hellgate. If there's an upset it might be a fun state tournament, otherwise I don't think anybody can beat Hellgate. Bozeman seems to be getting hot at the right time after looking pretty mediocre late in the regular season. I think it'll be Hellgate beating Bozeman in the championship.

On the girls' side, the Perkins girl from Helena is fun to watch. She very little time or space to get a shot off, even from well behind the three-point line. She's no slouch inside either--pretty clear she's a D-I player. They were upset by Hellgate, who is pretty fun to watch. Hellgate had a terrible game in the championship, which Capital deserves a lot of credit for, but if they play how they're capable of playing, they could make some noise at state. I don't see them beating Helena High again though. Sentinel might have had the most talented team but they never could do anything with it this year. They lacked a true point guard IMO though. I would put my money on Helena High--I think they've gotten their loss out of the way and will grind through to a championship. I like Helena over Hellgate in the championship by about 15.

I haven't watched that much Class A basketball since the beginning of the season. I do like Hamilton though with their experience and athleticism. I'll take them over Browning, who will finally get over the hump against Butte Central. You can tell I have a Western MT bias, but I think the basketball in the west is better right now overall.

Speaking of that bias, I think Columbia Falls will be hard to beat on the girls' side. Cary Finberg has been there plenty and will have his team ready. They have plenty of talent. It seems like Havre and Browning are just not quite at that level, but if either team shoots well, all bets are off. I like C-Falls and Billings Central in the championship with the Wildkats winning a close one.

Class B Boys in Belgrade will be fun. I think the West and the South are the best divisions this year, hands down. Bigfork and Big Timber have to play each other right off the bat, which is too bad. Bigfork had a bad loss to Deer Lodge early and lost to a really good Loyola team, but Big Timber didn't lose a game until Divisionals, where they lost to undefeated Colstrip. I really think Bigfork, Colstrip, Big Timber, and Loyola are all good enough to win it this year. I think if Big Timber can get past Bigfork in the first game, they have the easiest path overall, so I'll take them to win the first Southern B state championship since 2007, over Loyola.

On the girls' side, I really have no idea. I've seen Florence play several times, and Dani Zaun (sp?) is legit. They have a chance, but I think I might pick Mike Savageau and his Three Forks team to get the upset close to home in the first round. I'm going out on a limb and saying three-seeds Fairfield and Three Forks will play for the chipper and Fairfield will take it. That's a WAG though.

Class C Boys is the other tournament I'd really like to watch. It's the most fun tournament to attend. If you're a Class A or AA person and that's all you've ever watched, you owe it to yourself to go watch a Class B or C state tournament. Can't beat it for fan involvement and what it means to the players and their schools and communities. Arlee is good again and they've shown they can play with anybody, having beaten a REALLY GOOD Loyola team at Loyola a month or so ago. Manhattan Christian is probably the favorite with Caleb Bellach. Melstone will have plenty to prove after last year's absolute heartbreak of a loss early on at state. I've heard good things about Chinook, but I don't see them getting past Arlee. I think (and here's my western bias again) Arlee and MC will have a rematch from the Divisional Championship and I have a feeling it will be an all-time great game. Give me MC in overtime.

Class C girls is the only State tournament that's already finished, and congrats to Box Elder on winning again. Northern B and C girls' basketball is just so good.

Should be fun!
Well, I guessed a couple of the championship games right but I didn't get much of the final results right. Some observations:

Bozeman played way harder than Hellgate in the championship game. Hellgate is more talented and has better size, but Bozeman smacked them around a little bit and Hellgate wasn't ready for it IMO. I like both coaches, and unfortunately I believe both have underachieved a little bit at State. Both coaches needed that win to get a little confidence from their fans and Wes got it. That was one of the best state championship games I've ever seen (shoutout to Malta/Wolf Point boys in 2013 and Malta/Fairfield girls in 2014).

No big surprise that Helena High girls won pretty easily. I shouldn't have picked Hellgate to beat Billings West--still not sure what I was thinking, but nice season for the Knights to place after not going to State the last 16 years. And congrats to Jamie Pickens (I called her Perkins last week #-o ) on another Gatorade POY award.

One of the biggest takeaways is that I am really out of touch with Class A. Columbia Falls' girls peed down their leg in the first round for the second year in a row. I didn't think it would happen twice in a row but I was dead wrong. Hamilton was alright, but clearly the power is in the east in Class A.

I'm a Class B (Western B) guy, so I didn't want to seem too biased and pick my team (Bigfork) to be in the championship with Loyola even though I thought that was a good possibility. I didn't mind being wrong there. I think the shift has been toward the west in Class B for several years and we finally saw that bear out. Unfortunately Western B only gets two spots at state most years, so we don't get to see how good that Division is even though Bigfork has won 3 of the last 6 championships. Bigfork and Loyola both lose a lot next year though, so who knows. Watch for St. Ignatius to be good in the next few years.

On the girls' side, I had forgotten about how many pieces Wolf Point had added this year. Nobody was beating them, but I personally was happy to see both Western B teams finish in the top 3 anyway.

Even thought I picked the Class C championship the right direction, I was way off because I expected a close game. Arlee was good and I knew it because I knew Loyola was the real deal and Arlee beat them at Loyola this year. But that just goes to show how good MC is. Congrats to them.

Spring sports start today. We have two feet of snow here in Bigfork and more coming tomorrow. Let's just play some more basketball!


Image

User avatar
BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 6094
Joined: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: Belgrade, Montana

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am
I'm a Class B (Western B) guy, so I didn't want to seem too biased and pick my team (Bigfork) to be in the championship with Loyola even though I thought that was a good possibility. I didn't mind being wrong there. I think the shift has been toward the west in Class B for several years and we finally saw that bear out. Unfortunately Western B only gets two spots at state most years, so we don't get to see how good that Division is even though Bigfork has won 3 of the last 6 championships. Bigfork and Loyola both lose a lot next year though, so who knows. Watch for St. Ignatius to be good in the next few years.
Thoughts on Arlee joining the Class B mix over there. I would think as long as coach Pitts is there the Warriors will be a factor. Not sure what kind of rebuild they have after this season. I think they had 5 seniors.



User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:01 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:03 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am
I'm a Class B (Western B) guy, so I didn't want to seem too biased and pick my team (Bigfork) to be in the championship with Loyola even though I thought that was a good possibility. I didn't mind being wrong there. I think the shift has been toward the west in Class B for several years and we finally saw that bear out. Unfortunately Western B only gets two spots at state most years, so we don't get to see how good that Division is even though Bigfork has won 3 of the last 6 championships. Bigfork and Loyola both lose a lot next year though, so who knows. Watch for St. Ignatius to be good in the next few years.
Thoughts on Arlee joining the Class B mix over there. I would think as long as coach Pitts is there the Warriors will be a factor. Not sure what kind of rebuild they have after this season. I think they had 5 seniors.
I forgot about that. I think they'll be solid no matter who graduates. Obviously this crew will be missed, but you're right--Coach Pitts has done a great job and he's built something great. Bigfork and Loyola lose a lot but they're never down long. Both teams put all their eggs in one basket with these groups of seniors. Western B is funny though. The best teams are as good as anybody these last few years, but most of the other ones are the worst in the state in the last handful of years. Arlee will be fine, and I'd be willing to bet they'll be one of the top teams in Western B right away.


Image

User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4986
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by LTown Cat » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am
One of the biggest takeaways is that I am really out of touch with Class A. Columbia Falls' girls peed down their leg in the first round for the second year in a row. I didn't think it would happen twice in a row but I was dead wrong. Hamilton was alright, but clearly the power is in the east in Class A.
Ya, I didn't see how the west would hang with the east, especially on the boys side. There was just too much talent back on all the eastern teams that dominated the west last year at state. Lots of good players graduating this spring though so next year may be different. However, Hardin is loaded again next year. I'd have them as the early favorite for next year on the boys side and Havre again on the girls side.


Image

User avatar
kennethnoisewater
1st Team All-BobcatNation
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:41 pm
Location: Bigfork, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 am

LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am
One of the biggest takeaways is that I am really out of touch with Class A. Columbia Falls' girls peed down their leg in the first round for the second year in a row. I didn't think it would happen twice in a row but I was dead wrong. Hamilton was alright, but clearly the power is in the east in Class A.
Ya, I didn't see how the west would hang with the east, especially on the boys side. There was just too much talent back on all the eastern teams that dominated the west last year at state. Lots of good players graduating this spring though so next year may be different. However, Hardin is loaded again next year. I'd have them as the early favorite for next year on the boys side and Havre again on the girls side.
The Class AA championship was a western team and an almost-western team. Class B was two western teams. Class C was two western teams. Over here, we think Hamilton is as good as any of those teams, besides maybe Hellgate (and obviously Bozeman if you throw them in). It just shows how good Eastern A was this year. Pretty impressive. I must say though that I watched the Western A tipoff tournament in December and didn't come away impressed with the overall talent in that conference. It couldn't have helped Hamilton that they didn't play anybody all that good this season until state.


Image

User avatar
LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat
Posts: 4986
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Lewistown, MT

Re: Montana High School Hoops

Post by LTown Cat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:35 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:47 am
LTown Cat wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:37 pm
kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am
One of the biggest takeaways is that I am really out of touch with Class A. Columbia Falls' girls peed down their leg in the first round for the second year in a row. I didn't think it would happen twice in a row but I was dead wrong. Hamilton was alright, but clearly the power is in the east in Class A.
Ya, I didn't see how the west would hang with the east, especially on the boys side. There was just too much talent back on all the eastern teams that dominated the west last year at state. Lots of good players graduating this spring though so next year may be different. However, Hardin is loaded again next year. I'd have them as the early favorite for next year on the boys side and Havre again on the girls side.
The Class AA championship was a western team and an almost-western team. Class B was two western teams. Class C was two western teams. Over here, we think Hamilton is as good as any of those teams, besides maybe Hellgate (and obviously Bozeman if you throw them in). It just shows how good Eastern A was this year. Pretty impressive. I must say though that I watched the Western A tipoff tournament in December and didn't come away impressed with the overall talent in that conference. It couldn't have helped Hamilton that they didn't play anybody all that good this season until state.
Yep, I'm strictly talking A boys. There were definitely some great western teams in other classifications. Hamilton is good but it would be tough for them to replace Carter Kearns 20 pts/game from last season. I like what Brody did with Butte Central. The team from the west that I thought would give the eastern teams fits was Browning after adding Spoonhunter, but Hardin didn't have too much trouble with them in the opening round of state. Billings Central was just loaded this year. Adding the foreign exchange kid, Krause, gave them 7-8 legitimate scoring options. So tough to defend on any given night. They lose a lot though, however their JV was really, really good this year. Hardin has their nucleus all back next year and some really good young kids on their JV.


Image

Post Reply