MBB vs PSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs PSU

Post by technoCat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:57 pm

Its painful to watch our offense in the last 3 minutes of road games...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Last two minutes...

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:58 pm

HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:53 pm
Actually a 6 seed I think bodes well for us by the way.
I agree... eastern awaits if we beat Idaho, with UNC beyond that. Easier road than weber then Montana. I'm happy with how we competed in this game. Harry makes that open 3 with a minute to go, different game. I think we gave up 20 offensive boards, will have to clean that up if we keep playing zone, but i don't think we're in terrible shape heading to Boise.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm

Well the Cats contested this game which was nice to see. However, the facts are we lost 2 and dropped from 3rd seed first round bye to 6th and playing in the first round. Not the way to finish the season.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm

I just feel like this is the high water mark with Fish. Does he get an extension if we manage to finally get a tourney win against Idaho? I hope it takes at least a trip to the conference title game a la Huse.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 pm

We lost the last two games and Tyler had had some stellar offensive productivity.

I can't help but think of where our team is going to be next year without his points on offense.

MSmith1968
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MSmith1968 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm
Well the Cats contested this game which was nice to see. However, the facts are we lost 2 and dropped from 3rd seed first round bye to 6th and playing in the first round. Not the way to finish the season.
However, we are playing good basketball. Looking at the brackets, I think we are better off with the 6th seed than the 4th or 5th.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:54 am

MSmith1968 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:31 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:07 pm
However, we are playing good basketball. Looking at the brackets, I think we are better off with the 6th seed than the 4th or 5th.
I cannot ever believe that losing our 3rd seed is better for the team than getting the bye, some rest and a chance to play into the semi's. But...maybe it is. I wish I could be optimistic about our chances, but we've got some wood to chop to get there! :)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 am

Guys-those of you who have been Bobcat basketball fans for a while, please try to talk me from the ledge if you can-but you know what I'm about to say is true. I can see the following scenario coming at us like a locomotive headlight in a tunnel: We play Idaho on Wednesday in the Big Sky tournament...Idaho is very familiar with the arena. Idaho will have a lot more fans there than MSU. Idaho beat Sac State last week and barely lost to Portland State. They've improved. A lot. The Bobcats always lose in the Big Sky tournament in the most devastating and humiliating way-it's been pre-ordained to happen. The Bobcat are going to lose to Idaho. It's as mathematically certain as the Titanic sinking or the north and south gym's roofs collapsing.

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:43 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:48 am
Guys-those of you who have been Bobcat basketball fans for a while, please try to talk me from the ledge if you can-but you know what I'm about to say is true. I can see the following scenario coming at us like a locomotive headlight in a tunnel: We play Idaho on Wednesday in the Big Sky tournament...Idaho is very familiar with the arena. Idaho will have a lot more fans there than MSU. Idaho beat Sac State last week and barely lost to Portland State. They've improved. A lot. The Bobcats always lose in the Big Sky tournament in the most devastating and humiliating way-it's been pre-ordained to happen. The Bobcat are going to lose to Idaho. It's as mathematically certain as the Titanic sinking or the north and south gym's roofs collapsing.
I'll bite. There's no way, with a healthy and motivated Tyler hall, we're losing to southern uta... oh damn, that happened? Well, we certainly won't get way ahead and then blow that lead to UNDak...f$#@ we did that too? We really are doomed! I remember way back, our best team in 20 years, when we got way ahead of a bad Montana team and closed that out at the bri...oh... yeah i see what you mean.
In seriousness, I think we'll beat Idaho handily. We're playing pretty well, those games this weekend, specifically sac, sucked, but we're still playing hard, moving the ball, and our zone has been good if we can rebound out of it. There's a better chance, IMO, that we're in the semis against UNC than out Wednesday. We couldn't possibly find another creative way to lose a BSC tourney game, right? :-k

MamaRock
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MamaRock » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:37 am

Cats don't need creative ways to lose a BSC tourney game. Ha. Depends if they remember fundamentals of the sport and actually play like ballers they can be. I watched Thursday a couple times as 3 cats were in the paint and not one of the players' feet came off the ground to attempt a rebound. How is that not your first instinct as a bball player? I've got an 8 yr old watching with me that was screaming "you gotta rebound!" If Fish's plan is not to worry about rebounds then we are destined for 6th place. Who doesn't rebound? So frustrating. The team has amazing players but rarely is everyone firing on all cylinders. You can literally see when the team deflates. Usually between 8 to 6 mins left in a game. Have we ever seen them come out strong and take off and not be caught? Besides the first meeting with southern Utah this season. It's like they enjoy digging themselves out of holes.

joecat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by joecat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:19 am

aucat wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:14 pm
We lost the last two games and Tyler had had some stellar offensive productivity.

I can't help but think of where our team is going to be next year without his points on offense.
hopefully with a coach that has a viable defensive scheme where the team does not depend solely on stellar offensive performances and who has not taken the heart out of a team - see first half play with sam handing ball off to portland st and standing in place to watch them go full court for a layup. what senior in the in the history of basketball does that who cares about the last regular season game of their career? or blevins watching rebounds hit the floor? when a team quits on a coach it shows up in hustle first.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Guys-those of you who have been Bobcat basketball fans for a while, please try to talk me from the ledge if you can-but you know what I'm about to say is true. I can see the following scenario coming at us like a locomotive headlight in a tunnel: We play Idaho on Wednesday in the Big Sky tournament...Idaho is very familiar with the arena. Idaho will have a lot more fans there than MSU.
I'm not going to try to talk you off the ledge because when it comes to the MSU mens' history playing in the Big Sky tournament, we're not just on a ledge but grasping onto the lip of a cliff with only our pinky fingers.

As for Idaho having an advantage, I'm not sure I see that. Idaho hasn't played at Boise State since November of 2014, so unless they've got any 5th year seniors who played in that game as true freshmen, nobody from Idaho's team has ever played there. The game is also at 2:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, so I'm guessing most Idaho alumni in the area will be at work like any other Wednesday as opposed to showing up to watch their last place basketball team in a mostly empty arena.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:49 pm
As for Idaho having an advantage, I'm not sure I see that. Idaho hasn't played at Boise State since November of 2014, so unless they've got any 5th year seniors who played in that game as true freshmen, nobody from Idaho's team has ever played there. The game is also at 2:30 on a Wednesday afternoon, so I'm guessing most Idaho alumni in the area will be at work like any other Wednesday as opposed to showing up to watch their last place basketball team in a mostly empty arena.
Idaho played two games in that arena in November: https://govandals.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=208

Here's a good conspiracy theory about why we will lose: The Big Sky Conference wants/needs this tournament in Boise to be successful. What better way to help that along than engineering a Cinderella tournament run by the home state Vandals. :sick:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:05 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 pm
MSU01 wrote:
Idaho played two games in that arena in November: https://govandals.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=208

Here's a good conspiracy theory about why we will lose: The Big Sky Conference wants/needs this tournament in Boise to be successful. What better way to help that along than engineering a Cinderella tournament run by the home state Vandals. :sick:
Good catch. The fix is in! :lol:

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:46 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:59 pm
MSU01 wrote:

Are conspiracy theories even necessary? It seems to me that we've clearly demonstrated we're very capable of choking in the tourney, with or without any conspiracy theories.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm

On the other hand, if you believe in these sorts of things...we won a game in the tourney in 1999, then went 9 straight years with no wins, before winning 2 games to get to the championship game as a #6 seed in 2009. We've now gone another 9 years with no wins, and it's another year ending in 9, and we're a #6 seed again. Just sayin'...

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:42 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
I kind of agree. I see the train a coming too!

2024 Resume dominance

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:24 pm

John K wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:06 pm
On the other hand, if you believe in these sorts of things...we won a game in the tourney in 1999, then went 9 straight years with no wins, before winning 2 games to get to the championship game as a #6 seed in 2009. We've now gone another 9 years with no wins, and it's another year ending in 9, and we're a #6 seed again. Just sayin'...
Yeah-I don't really believe there is a conspiracy theory. It's much more plausible that there is some super-natural entity involved that for some reason-just doesn't like the Bobcat men's basketball team. That's gotta be it.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Going 5-12 outside of Bozeman doesn't help any more than a coach who builds team chemistry by belittling players during a game in front of their fans.... :roll: