SUU vs. MBB

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: SUU vs. MBB

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:27 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:08 pm
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:17 pm
Guys... we just won another game in March. After a winning February. Strange times. If we're not careful we'll screw up and win a tournament game... nah, couldn't be.
Wow-man I am so fatalistic. I'm not sure how to process this. I was just so sure we were going to blow it. We were down 9 in that second half. Then Ricketts hits some threes and Harry goes on a personal 12-0 run, and boom we're up by 10. We've finally got a group playing well in March-and I'm not sure anyone in the league is playing better than Frey right now. What a virtuoso performance by Harry these past two games.

It was senior night. But it was our juniors who carried us in this one.
The argument for Harry as first team all-bsc is over, IMO, assuming he plays decent the final 2 games. If we get 1, it's him. Tyler gets a megaton of attention, I realize, and that helps harry and everyone else, but he's gone to another level of performance, leadership, and just flat-out assassin lately. I still think our 3rd option(s) are not consistent enough to carry us past Montana, but on a
1-off we can beat anybody. Exciting, at least. Fish's willingness to throw some zone each game has made us just competent enough on defense to be a dangerous team in March, how long since we've said that?

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:32 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 am
Harold just gave everyone a chance to get hot, but no one but Ricketts was scoring and he is a defensive minus.......So he just decided to take over....again!
I had to drive to Bozeman for this last game....the wife wouldn't even take the chance! Looked at me like it was for the last time when I left!
I bought a reserved seat, and moved down to the floor when no one took the seats right at center court!
Harold Frey is amazing! How he controls his dribble while making every move in the book is unexplainable! He reminds me of Jason Erickson.....maybe a little better distributor/scorer mix.
Tyler coukdn't hit his butt with both hands. I'm no basketball technician, but in like 19 shots he never squared his body and stepped into the shot once. He was always drifting or stepping back. I know he's supposed to be a pro prospect, but Steph Curry gets his body in a balanced position on almost every shot, Tyler hardly did tonight. Tyler looks like he needs to start going to the bucket, because they constantly run him off the 3 pt line, and he just throws one up as he's leaving! I think he needs to discover if he's only a shooter or a scorer. I think he should diversify his game.
Agree about Hall, and I love watching him play, but i always wish he could play in the lane a little more with his size. Trouble with those off-square threes is he has games where they go in. He can hit them, but I thought he ws forcing too many last night rather than taking them in the flow. His ability to make shots over the course of his career though has been impressive, given the defensive attention he gets. I don't know that there's a player in the league the past 4 years, given the teams he's has around him, that would have seen more defensive pressure than him. But I'm with you, he needs a bit better shot selection coming in here for us to go deep in bsc tourney.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am

Harold Frey is the best player on this team. Especially just looking at his all around game. Nothing against Hall, he is an incredible talent... but Frey is better.

Even just looking at who is the best shooter/scorer, which is obviously Halls calling card.. Frey might take that category as well. If he really wanted to Frey could probably average close to 30 a game. Guy reminds me of steve nash.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

WolfPtCat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WolfPtCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm
Sam Neumann's magnum opus!
Check out Kirby's reaction on the bench :lol: Do you think he's been burned by that same move at practice?

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am
Harold Frey is the best player on this team. Especially just looking at his all around game. Nothing against Hall, he is an incredible talent... but Frey is better.

Even just looking at who is the best shooter/scorer, which is obviously Halls calling card.. Frey might take that category as well. If he really wanted to Frey could probably average close to 30 a game. Guy reminds me of steve nash.
:goodpost: great player and he's on a heater right now too, his confidence within the flow and outside the flow of the offense is sky high.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:31 am

WolfPtCat wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:03 am
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 pm
Sam Neumann's magnum opus!
Check out Kirby's reaction on the bench :lol: Do you think he's been burned by that same move at practice?
How people haven't figured out to literally never go for a Sam Neumann pump fake is beyond me. :lol:

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:47 am

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:40 am
Harold just gave everyone a chance to get hot, but no one but Ricketts was scoring and he is a defensive minus.......So he just decided to take over....again!
I had to drive to Bozeman for this last game....the wife wouldn't even take the chance! Looked at me like it was for the last time when I left!
I bought a reserved seat, and moved down to the floor when no one took the seats right at center court!
Harold Frey is amazing! How he controls his dribble while making every move in the book is unexplainable! He reminds me of Jason Erickson.....maybe a little better distributor/scorer mix.
Tyler coukdn't hit his butt with both hands. I'm no basketball technician, but in like 19 shots he never squared his body and stepped into the shot once. He was always drifting or stepping back. I know he's supposed to be a pro prospect, but Steph Curry gets his body in a balanced position on almost every shot, Tyler hardly did tonight. Tyler looks like he needs to start going to the bucket, because they constantly run him off the 3 pt line, and he just throws one up as he's leaving! I think he needs to discover if he's only a shooter or a scorer. I think he should diversify his game.
Agree, hence my post above. If he dishes all those shots off to someone that was actually making 3's, this could have been a blow out. His 3's just weren't dropping, he needed to quit shooting them.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:48 am

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am
mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:00 am

:goodpost: great player and he's on a heater right now too, his confidence within the flow and outside the flow of the offense is sky high.
I said last week that I thought Frey could be a legit BSC MVP candidate next season, when he will be unquestionably the #1 option on offense, and I stand by that. Truth be told, after watching these last 2 games, he probably should be one this season. With all due respect to Tyler Hall, Frey is clearly our best player, and I don't know how he can't be 1st team all-BSC. He should get the POW award pretty much unanimously this week. After going for 32 and 30 in this week's games, he's now 4th in the conference in scoring at 17.3, and 3rd in assists at 5.0.

I was pretty critical after we dropped 4 out of 5 after starting 4-1 in conference, but I'm gladly eating my words now. We've gone 6-2 since then...when is the last team a Bobcat MBB team did that well late in the season? After going 5-5 in the 1st round through the BSC schedule, even if we drop the last 2 (although we have a great chance of getting at least a split), we'd be 6-4 in the 2nd half of conference play. When was the last time we did better in the 2nd half, than the 1st half?

I should know better than to even think this but if we can hang on to the #3 seed, could this be the year that we finally win a game in the tourney? With a 1st round bye, one win puts us into the semi-finals, probably against UNC if we hold onto 3rd place. If we drop to 4th, then we'd likely get UM in the semis. Weber closes at home against Eastern and Idaho. Even though they're really slumping, there's no way they'll lose to last place UI at home, and they should beat EWU too, so we may have to win both of our last 2 games to hold onto 3rd, since WSU has the tie-breaker.

bobcatfan4life
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bobcatfan4life » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:39 am

Other than Ricketts...everyone was pretty cold in the first half. I would agree Tyler seemed off last night, seemed to force some shots. I would also agree that he should drive more because he would get fouled and he is generally good from the free throw line. Every single player has an off night, Frey included has had nights where he couldn't it and was struggling. There seems to be a lot of people very critical of Tyler where I have seen growth from him on the defensive end, and yes at times he forces shots, but what players don't do that at times.

With that said, I truly love watching Frey play...even on stupid PLuto tv that is awful but he just plays so hard and is so fun to watch. He has to be one of the top guards in the conference for sure. I love how this team plays, you can tell they love playing together and really are close group. Lets keep this going..I am loving watching this team right now. Its been a while since we had a team that really fought and got after it like they do.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:49 pm

I'll apologize if I come off as overly sensitive, but I'll just never understand the need to try stratify people. I have no problem if people want to campaign for Harry as 1st team all Big Sky. At the end of the day, who cares who is 1st or 2nd team ... what matters is what kind of season the team has. Last night, Tyler didn't have a good shooting night, but as a two guard, he had 7 rebounds and 5 assists. I'll always be more critical of Tyler defensively than anyone on this board, but last night he was pretty good defensively also.
Harry has been on a good roll lately and that's fantastic as it helps the team win. Ricketts makes shots ... you want to call him the best shooter, hey as long as he makes shots to help the team win, great, call him the best shooter on the team. The reality of college basketball is who is on the floor with you matters. Where you are on the scouting report matters. When you prepare for a team, you decide what your focus is going to be. In the beginning of the conference season, there were times when teams focused on taking Frey out of the game and he struggled. It happens. Tyler is the most targeted, focused on guy in the conference. That comes with the territory when you have scored more points in conference history than anyone else. Instead of trying to pick apart Tyler's game any time he has a tough shooting day, how about celebrating the fact that a season many on this board wanted to write off at various points in the season, the Bobcats have fought and played really good basketball. Just my thoughts.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:00 pm

I think Hall is the most complete player he's been this year in his career. His offensive prowess may not quite be what it was but he is a better defender, passer and rebounder this year. And when he and Frey are on their game we are an awfully hard team to beat.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:15 pm

phantom wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:49 pm
I'll apologize if I come off as overly sensitive, but I'll just never understand the need to try stratify people. I have no problem if people want to campaign for Harry as 1st team all Big Sky. At the end of the day, who cares who is 1st or 2nd team ... what matters is what kind of season the team has. Last night, Tyler didn't have a good shooting night, but as a two guard, he had 7 rebounds and 5 assists. I'll always be more critical of Tyler defensively than anyone on this board, but last night he was pretty good defensively also.
Harry has been on a good roll lately and that's fantastic as it helps the team win. Ricketts makes shots ... you want to call him the best shooter, hey as long as he makes shots to help the team win, great, call him the best shooter on the team. The reality of college basketball is who is on the floor with you matters. Where you are on the scouting report matters. When you prepare for a team, you decide what your focus is going to be. In the beginning of the conference season, there were times when teams focused on taking Frey out of the game and he struggled. It happens. Tyler is the most targeted, focused on guy in the conference. That comes with the territory when you have scored more points in conference history than anyone else. Instead of trying to pick apart Tyler's game any time he has a tough shooting day, how about celebrating the fact that a season many on this board wanted to write off at various points in the season, the Bobcats have fought and played really good basketball. Just my thoughts.
Great post. I know I’m enjoying this little run as much as anyone. I truly hope it continues and we make some noise in the tourney.

Frey is playing amazing. Love watching him. But you summed it up perfect. Each game will be different and different guys will have opportunities to shine.

Ty didn’t shoot great last night. Other guys did and we got a much needed win. But to suddenly start calling Frey our best player seems short sighted. I’d maintain we’re lucky to have both who are playing well right now.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:19 pm

phantom wrote:
No I agree, I love Tyler and defended him in this thread, he's been a shotmaker his entire career. His passing this season has not gotten enough credit. My intention in agreeing on the posts about Frey was not to bash Tyler. He's the most prolific offensive player in the history of the BSC. But I'm not sure it's unfair to say harry has been our best player this year. Undoubtedly the attention paid to Tyler helps harry, blevins, and everyone, but harry has been elite in the conference schedule, in all phases. I'm glad we have them both.

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:48 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:19 pm

No I agree, I love Tyler and defended him in this thread, he's been a shotmaker his entire career. His passing this season has not gotten enough credit. My intention in agreeing on the posts about Frey was not to bash Tyler. He's the most prolific offensive player in the history of the BSC. But I'm not sure it's unfair to say harry has been our best player this year. Undoubtedly the attention paid to Tyler helps harry, blevins, and everyone, but harry has been elite in the conference schedule, in all phases. I'm glad we have them both.
The most interesting thing about Tyler that most people that have followed him just in college is that he was a point guard growing up. When he was developing as a scorer, one of the challenges was getting him to have the true scorer's mentality. His default mode is to make the right play, make the extra pass. It's telling that he is the leading scorer and second on the team in assists.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:43 pm

phantom wrote:
Oh I totally agree on all that and I certainly wasn't trying to take anything away from the remarkable player Tyler Hall is. My only point, criticism, was that after he missed that sixth three pointer in a row, just adjust a bit and either take it inside or make the extra pass to one of the hot shooters.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:19 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 pm
Cats are coming alive! Hall needs to quit launching 3's
It's these kinds of games that limit Halls draft stock IMO. He doesn't seem to adjust well to what is working or not working for him.
I thought he adjusted well by going to his mid-range game and focusing on assisting others when he was cold.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:35 pm

phantom wrote:
Totally agree. Why can't we enjoy the fact that we've been able to watch TWO of the best players in the Big Sky this season?

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm

It is refreshing to have enough talent where the opposing defense cannot just drop someone off to double up on our scorer...

Looked like ~2700 attendance. Pretty good considering the weather!!

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

Mcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Mcat » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:52 pm

RickRund wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:20 pm
It is refreshing to have enough talent where the opposing defense cannot just drop someone off to double up on our scorer...

Looked like ~2700 attendance. Pretty good considering the weather!!
Speaking of doubling up on our scorers, remember last year??

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:31 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:19 pm
catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:38 pm
catatac wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:32 pm
Cats are coming alive! Hall needs to quit launching 3's
It's these kinds of games that limit Halls draft stock IMO. He doesn't seem to adjust well to what is working or not working for him.
I thought he adjusted well by going to his mid-range game and focusing on assisting others when he was cold.
Yes, in the heat of the game it was clear his 3 pt shot was not falling. He made a couple but missed something like 9. I would have liked to see him attack the basket more BECAUSE he is a great passer. Harry and he both know where the other guy is going to be and they play well off each other. The unsung hero in my opinion of the game was Sam. There was a stretch when we were neck and neck with SUU and he comes in and makes great decisions on passes and has like 3 assists in a 1 minute span that ignites our lead that we never gave up. It was a tale of 2 halves for the Cats. Going for over 50 in the 2nd was a credit to the kids.