States With Most D1 Football programs

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

States With Most D1 Football programs

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:18 am

The post on the Cat Football site indicating Dixie State is in our future caused me to wonder which states had the most D1 programs. Utah with a population of 3.1 million will have 7 D1 programs when D-State enters and that seemed amazing to me. Compare with Oregon (4.1) and Washington (7.9) who each have just 3.

The top ranking states are as follow and what surprised me most was the growth of some of the states since I last looked.

State FCS.. FBS.. Population in millions

TX 8.. 12.. 28.7
OH 7.. 7.. 11.7
NC 7.. 5.. 10.4
FL 4.. 7.. 21.3
NY 9.. 2.. 19.3
VA 6.. 5.. 8.5
PA 8.. 3.. 12.8
VA 6..5.. 8.5
CA 4.. 6.. 39.5
AL 5.. 5.. 4.9
TN 6.. 3.. 6.8
LA 6.. 3.. 4.7

John K
Golden Bobcat

Re: States With Most D1 Football programs

Post by John K » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:55 pm

In looking at these numbers, the most surprising thing is that CA ranks only 9th with 10 D-I programs despite being by far the most populous state.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:24 pm

Over the years a bunch of programs were dropped..like former BSC Cal Northridge, Cal Riverside, Cal Fullerton, Pacific, Long Beach State, Cal Santa Barbara

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm

Curious what states are the most populated with fewest D1 schools? Would that compute to a winning program and fertile recruiting ground?

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:06 am

And in a few years MT will only have one DI school!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am

Cataholic wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:28 pm
Curious what states are the most populated with fewest D1 schools? Would that compute to a winning program and fertile recruiting ground?
The winner here would have to be Minnesota. Over 5 million in population with U. of Minnesota as the only Division I school in the entire state, excepting a few schools that play D-I hockey but are lower divisions for other sports. It would certainly seem that this could make that state a good recruiting target - the WBB team has been recruiting that area lately with 4 Minnesotans on the roster plus 1 from ND and 1 from WI. MSU football has had some players from Minnesota over the years but I don't recall them ever recruiting that area particularly heavily. Given the (lack of) success of the Golden Gophers football program in the Big 10, perhaps the depth of talent just isn't there that they can get in CA, WA, or TX even with more competition in those states from schools closer to home.

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:23 am

MSU01 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:35 am
Cataholic wrote:
The winner here would have to be Minnesota. Over 5 million in population with U. of Minnesota as the only Division I school in the entire state, excepting a few schools that play D-I hockey but are lower divisions for other sports. It would certainly seem that this could make that state a good recruiting target - the WBB team has been recruiting that area lately with 4 Minnesotans on the roster plus 1 from ND and 1 from WI. MSU football has had some players from Minnesota over the years but I don't recall them ever recruiting that area particularly heavily. Given the (lack of) success of the Golden Gophers football program in the Big 10, perhaps the depth of talent just isn't there that they can get in CA, WA, or TX even with more competition in those states from schools closer to home.
When Hysell was head coach they recruited Minnesota heavily (that was Butch Damberger's recruiting territory). There were quite a few notable linemen from Minnesota in the 1990s and early 2000s. When Kramer came to MSU, they stopped recruiting Minnesota and put more emphasis on western states like Washington and California.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 am

MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Gophers have not been able to maintain success but that FCS team in nearby Fargo has had a little success and they have quite a few Minnesotans in the roster. It seems like a pretty solid recruiting strategy. And Bozeman has direct flights to the Twin Cities.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
The Gophers have not been able to maintain success but that FCS team in nearby Fargo has had a little success and they have quite a few Minnesotans in the roster. It seems like a pretty solid recruiting strategy. And Bozeman has direct flights to the Twin Cities.
Not to say that we shouldn't give it a shot, but I bet it's pretty tough to recruit against NDSU for the FCS level talent in Minnnesota.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 am
MSU01 wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Minnesota seems worth a look, at least. Washington is productive for us with a similar ratio of schools to population. Washington = 7.9 million with 3 D-Is. Minnesota = 5 million with 2 D-Is counting NDSU which is virtually in Minnesota. Probably more good hockey players in MN and football players in WA, but we've had some very good Minnesota players in the past. Kelly Bradley was pretty successful here! Jon Borchardt made it to the NFL. We do have Lewis Kidd. And the players would not leave because it was too cold.
Last edited by Bobcat4Ever on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:35 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:26 pm
Minnesota seems worth a look, at least. Washington is productive for us with a similar ratio of schools to population. Washington = 7.9 million with 3 D-Is. Minnesota = 5 million with 2 D-Is counting NDSU which is virtually in Minnesota. Probably more good hockey players in MN and football players in WA, but we've had some very good Minnesota players in the past. Kelly Bradley was pretty successful here!
UND is right on the border as well. When the Dakota schools went D-1, any recruiting advantage we had in Minnesota really dried up. We'll probably get one now and then, but not like we did in the Hysell and Kramer eras.

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:38 pm

Oops. Forgot about Grand Forks.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 am

MSU should DEFINITELY be recruiting Minnesota, especially if there’s a direct flight there. Bozeman and MSU have much more to offer than NDSU/Fargo or UND/Grand Forks. Minnesotans visit Montana more frequently than any other state. A lot of Minnesota plates around Bozeman and Big Sky.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 am

Just curious, hasn't there been a direct flight to the Twin Cites forever? Not sure how that should suddenly impact us recruiting the state?

And yes I agree, we should always recruit Minnesota heavily in my opinion. There's a lot of talent in that state.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 am
Just curious, hasn't there been a direct flight to the Twin Cites forever? Not sure how that should suddenly impact us recruiting the state?

And yes I agree, we should always recruit Minnesota heavily in my opinion. There's a lot of talent in that state.
There's direct to MSP out of Helena, I can assume there's one out of BZN.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:56 am

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:54 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:10 am

There's direct to MSP out of Helena, I can assume there's one out of BZN.
There is one out of BZN three times a day.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:56 pm

So with the state of Montana at a 1 million+ poputlation producing 10 - 12 FCS players a year, it would seem possible that the 5 million population of Minnesota could produce 50 to 60 FCS (or better) players each year. That is a lot of talent to share with Minnesota, NDSU and UND. And MSU has to be a competitive option when being recruited. I was talking to a recent UND grad and he said that the football games were not a big draw. Hockey was the main sport in Grand Forks and it was common for the athletics program to just give tickets away to the football games.