EWU at um

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

EWU at um

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:22 pm

The griz get a 1 point win over EWU in Missoula. Davison missed a little runner in the lane that he usually makes that would have given the Eagles the win. On the previous play Oguine runs over Davison but it's called a block instead of a charge. He made one of two to set up the final sequence. griz celebrated like they won the national title (I think they're really sick of losing to EWU in everything lately). griz had a 10 point lead then EWU reeled them in-then the teams traded baskets or EWU baskets for griz free throws until the end.

I never root for the griz, but their win puts the Bobcats solidly in 4th place now I believe. I think the 4-5 matchup in the tournament is going to come down to MSU, EWU, and SUU. The winner of the 4-5 game will likely have to play the griz-who now have a pretty commanding lead in the conference regular season race.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: EWU at um

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 pm

You failed to mention they got the win with Akoh out for the entire game, and Pridgett fouling out with 5 mins left in the game. Despite all that they led by 10 points almost the entire game until the EWU 14-2 run at the end. Then Oguine took over and won the game. Decuire’s 100th win!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:33 pm
You failed to mention they got the win with Akoh out for the entire game, and Pridgett fouling out with 5 mins left in the game. Despite all that they led by 10 points almost the entire game until the EWU 14-2 run at the end. Then Oguine took over and won the game. Decuire’s 100th win!
Why do I have to mention Akoh being out or Pridgett? If you feel that's important you go ahead and fill in those details. I summarized the last sequence. The purpose of the post was to explain that the griz win was advantageous to the Bobcats.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Why do I have to mention Akoh being out or Pridgett? If you feel that's important you go ahead and fill in those details. I summarized the last sequence. The purpose of the post was to explain that the griz win was advantageous to the Bobcats.
You made it sound like the Griz squeaked by the Eagles and were very lucky ky to win and that the refs gave Oguine a call to help all that. I was just filling in the unbiased details.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:51 pm

You DID squeak by. How is winning by 1 point after blowing a 10 point lead when the opposing team missed a very makeable shot not squeaking by? Where did say lucky? And the call in question was 50/50 at best. You're reading stuff in that's not there.
Here's the current standings. A long ways to go. https://bigskyconf.com/standings.aspx?standings=91

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 pm

I'm sure Skyline Sports will set the record straight that the griz dominated EWU to a 1 point win without their starting center who is the best center in college basketball-and with the refs giving EWU all the calls. I get it-that's the type of reporting griz fans are used to.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 pm
I'm sure Skyline Sports will set the record straight that the griz dominated EWU to a 1 point win without their starting center who is the best center in college basketball-and with the refs giving EWU all the calls. I get it-that's the type of reporting griz fans are used to.
Sounds like you’re having a rough day. I’m sorry your cats have been absolutely irrelevant in hoops for, what now, 20+ years. I’m also sorry Belgrade sucks so bad at hoops this year too. Don’t worry at least they are moving to AA soon. That’s gonna be real ugly.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:41 pm

No I'm doing fine. Congrats on your lucky win.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 pm

griz only basketball now and only mens basketball so they get sensitive easily. With there attendance dropping fast they will be an NAIA school in a few years.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 am

gtapp wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:43 pm
griz only basketball now and only mens basketball so they get sensitive easily. With there attendance dropping fast they will be an NAIA school in a few years.
I don't know what is more shocking, their decline in FB or WBB (not to mention the decline of the school itself). After making the playoffs 17 straight years and winning the BSC title 12 straight years. they've now missed the postseason 3 straight years and 5 of the last 9. Officially they've only made the playoffs 3 times in the last 9 years, if you don't count 2011 when they had to vacate all those wins. After beating MSU 16 straight years, it's been almost dead even since then, 9-8, and of course we've now won 3 in a row.

The fall of their WBB program might be even more surprising though. I mean they won the BSC almost every single year, going back to the very beginning Big Sky Women's hoops. They are currently in a tie for 6th place with a conference record of only 5-7. Schweyen has got to be feeling a lot of heat in Grizville. The program had fallen off a little bit at the end of Selvig's tenure. but even though they weren't quite as dominant as they once were, they still were a perennial contender for the BSC title. The real decline pretty much coincided with the coaching change, and they've been no more than middle of the pack the last 3-4 years.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:53 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:38 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
You made it sound like the Griz squeaked by the Eagles and were very lucky ky to win and that the refs gave Oguine a call to help all that. I was just filling in the unbiased details.

Hahahahahahaha =D^

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 pm

One of the many "big elephants in the room" at missoula city college is the women's basketball record of 31-50 in three years, maybe they can bring back selvig one more time so women's basketball can return to dominance

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Is Monte still there? Think he'll stay? They might have to set up a gofundme account to get him to Boise.....

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

So...back to the topic. MSU is now in 4th place. The way the tournament is set up, there's no difference between 4 and 5 except the color jersey you wear. 4 plays 5 in the second round on Thursday and the winner gets the number 1 seed. Barring an upset I don't see MSU possibly finishing higher than 4th-unless we get really hot and Weber State collapses (they are tetering a bit right now). If the Bobcats finish 6th they would play the 11 seed on Wednesday-which will probably be Idaho. That would give MSU a high probability of getting a tournament win. Then we would play the number 3 seed on Thursday.

Obviously, the team will strive to finish as high as possible-but a 6th place finish wouldn't be the end of the world. Anywhere from 4 to 6 looks like where we'll be at. Not getting a bye probably completely dooms any chance of winning the tournament as they would have to win 4 games in 4 days-which seems a tall order. But you never know-tournament time can be crazy.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 am

autocat wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 pm
One of the many "big elephants in the room" at missoula city college is the women's basketball record of 31-50 in three years, maybe they can bring back selvig one more time so women's basketball can return to dominance
Not to be a UM apologist, but Schweyen has had terrible luck with injuries ever since she took over. The Cats have also had some of their better teams as of late.

2024 Resume dominance

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am

Although I’m sure that you’re sincere in your desire not to be a UM apologist, that’s exactly how it’s comes across. This is sports, injuries are part of the equation. MSU is improving in WBB because of the commitment of the the coaching staff and players. Every team has injuries this time of year.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:55 am
Although I’m sure that you’re sincere in your desire not to be a UM apologist, that’s exactly how it’s comes across. This is sports, injuries are part of the equation. MSU is improving in WBB because of the commitment of the the coaching staff and players. Every team has injuries this time of year.
That’s true you guys just lost Claire Lundburg for the season, by far your best player one of the better in the big sky. I’d say this is similar to a few of the players who have gone down for the Griz in the last few years including preseason MVPs. I guess we will see if the cats can still compete and overcome it

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Rich K wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 pm
Is Monte still there? Think he'll stay? They might have to set up a gofundme account to get him to Boise.....
I read on twitter that he just entered the transfer portal :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm
Rich K wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:28 pm
I read on twitter that he just entered the transfer portal :lol:
He wants to go to a real university... UC Santa Cruz and be a Banana Slug... Sammy the Slug...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.