James Williams?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: James Williams?

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:47 pm

suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am
Well I cannot figure out how to post a picture, but he was working out with the Team yesterday. I have heard from a couple sources that he went home to visit family over the weekend. His dad died last fall- probably a good thing to get to see family. Move on, people...give the kid a break.
Phew, I think you are right! This video was posted yesterday on MSU Sports Performance instagram, isn't that him to the right on Troy's lift like 5 seconds in?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:50 pm

It indeed is.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 pm

technoCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am
Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 am
It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).
Totally agree with you! Which in and of itself is remarkable.... :wink:

I get guys are fans of this team. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people don't want players to have as much freedom as the staff gets. Players make the program. If it's not the right fit for them personally they should go somewhere that is. Sure, we'll lose some good ones. But we'll gain some good ones throughout the preocess as well. And for some reason we never seem to bash the kids that COME here from somewhere else....just those that LEAVE for somewhere else. weird.
It's not that I don't want them to have the freedom but just because I think they deserve it doesn't make it sting less. I just worry its feeding into the "me first" epidemic and kids aren't being forced to see things through for their own good. Jeez when did I get so old...
Choate just made a pretty good argument against the transfer portal, in the press conference happening now.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:46 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:43 pm
technoCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).

I get guys are fans of this team. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people don't want players to have as much freedom as the staff gets. Players make the program. If it's not the right fit for them personally they should go somewhere that is. Sure, we'll lose some good ones. But we'll gain some good ones throughout the preocess as well. And for some reason we never seem to bash the kids that COME here from somewhere else....just those that LEAVE for somewhere else. weird.
It's not that I don't want them to have the freedom but just because I think they deserve it doesn't make it sting less. I just worry its feeding into the "me first" epidemic and kids aren't being forced to see things through for their own good. Jeez when did I get so old...
Choate just made a pretty good argument against the transfer portal, in the press conference happening now.

yup. after listening to choate...……… hard to argue with that. He pretty much made the transfer portal sound like its linked to the Taliban or something... ha.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:51 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

McCullum was recognized as one of the 60 most influential players in the nfl a while back. Here’s the write up:

During a tense time between the NFL, its owners and the NFLPA, Sam McCullum was an important figure and leader. After being drafted by the Minnesota Vikings in 1974, McCullum was claimed by the Seattle Seahawks in the 1976 expansion draft. As a Seahawk, the former Montana State wide receiver led a pre-game handshake demonstration, planned by the NFLPA, before each preseason game in 1982. This display was a league-wide gesture of solidarity in support of the Percentage of Gross Proposal and a likely strike during the regular season.

In response to the demonstration, then-Seahawks head coach Jack Patera threatened any player who participated with a hefty fine equivalent to a full regular season game check. However, under McCullum’s leadership, the Seahawks participated in the handshake anyway.

The NFLPA asked the National Labor Relations Board to intervene. Under pressure from the NLRB, the NFL Management Council forced Patera to rescind the fine one week later. In response to the public embarrassment caused by this, Patera eventually cut McCullum just before the 1982 season. McCullum was picked up by the Minnesota Vikings shortly after the regular season began and became an active leader for his former team once the strike began that September.

Meanwhile, the NFLPA and McCullum filed an unfair labor practice charge against the Seahawks for illegally cutting McCullum from the team because of his union activity. After a ten-year court battle, McCullum came out victorious and received the largest back pay award in the history of the NLRB at the time.

McCullum now serves as a trustee on the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Board and has been active in the NFLPA Former Players organization since his retirement in 1983.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:53 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:47 pm
suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am
Well I cannot figure out how to post a picture, but he was working out with the Team yesterday. I have heard from a couple sources that he went home to visit family over the weekend. His dad died last fall- probably a good thing to get to see family. Move on, people...give the kid a break.
Phew, I think you are right! This video was posted yesterday on MSU Sports Performance instagram, isn't that him to the right on Troy's lift like 5 seconds in?

Watching that tape, he's definitely "back and to the right....back and to the right...."

gocats77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by gocats77 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm

Does anyone know the player with the right knee brace bench pressing at about the 13 second mark? Is it Jabarri Johnson?

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:22 pm

I JUST GOTTA SAY GO BIG JAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE HAS THE POTENTIAL TO DRAW DOUBLE TEAMS AND STOP THE RUN UP THE MIDDLE! I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HE CAN DO IN THE NEXT FEW YEARS!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:52 pm

gocats77 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:00 pm
Does anyone know the player with the right knee brace bench pressing at about the 13 second mark? Is it Jabarri Johnson?
Hard to tell but looks more like James Campbell to me.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm

"Taking it to the next level" didn't exclude the Cats.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

D-Wreck
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by D-Wreck » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:55 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:17 pm
"Taking it to the next level" didn't exclude the Cats.
That was my initial thought too, though I don't know what else he might have posted. My gut reaction was "Bad a$$ off season, ready to grind."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am
suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am
Fake news. Here is James working out yesterday (far right in picture).ImageImage-1.jpg
This is hilarious! :) IF Coach wants to clear this up, he can. If not... here we sit. James...if you're listening, post something clear and stop being cryptic on Twitter! Be the starter you are penciled in to be, OR, hit the road...but enough of this goofy ambiguity!
James owes us fans nothing. He has worked extremely hard during his short time at MSU and can post anything to his public social media account whenever he wants. If he does "hit the road", he will be missed and I wish him nothing but success.
Though I agree he is our preferred player at his position BECAUSE he has worked hard...it is also true he has been scholarshipped to play at MSU and we have upheld our end of the relationship. It's time to grow up and take accountability by either giving a response to the university and fan base, team, and coaching staff who supports his right to play football and to get a world class education at MSU....or, to transfer to someplace else. Honestly and responsibility is all I am advocating for. Playing it coy is not honest or what leadership looks like. Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
I have a seen a lot of dumb posts on BN, but yours ranks as one of the dumbest of all time. He has zero obligation to post any clarification. He made a post on social media that mentioned nothing about leaving, yet some posters start speculating and create all this confusion. Stupid. And to demand a clarification has to be an all time dumb ass request.
Go to Choate's Signing Day press conference and listen to the section from 36-40 mins...then come back and tell me how dumb ass it is in light of the portal situation to KNOW who is on your roster and who is not. I hope Williams sticks and stays. I support him doing that, but I am with Coach on the "making it easy to leave" thing. Don't like it, don't like the Twitter postings of those who left, and if James is staying... =D^ .

Now, go rant on someone else!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:08 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:00 pm
Cataholic wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am
suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am
Fake news. Here is James working out yesterday (far right in picture).ImageImage-1.jpg
This is hilarious! :) IF Coach wants to clear this up, he can. If not... here we sit. James...if you're listening, post something clear and stop being cryptic on Twitter! Be the starter you are penciled in to be, OR, hit the road...but enough of this goofy ambiguity!
James owes us fans nothing. He has worked extremely hard during his short time at MSU and can post anything to his public social media account whenever he wants. If he does "hit the road", he will be missed and I wish him nothing but success.
Though I agree he is our preferred player at his position BECAUSE he has worked hard...it is also true he has been scholarshipped to play at MSU and we have upheld our end of the relationship. It's time to grow up and take accountability by either giving a response to the university and fan base, team, and coaching staff who supports his right to play football and to get a world class education at MSU....or, to transfer to someplace else. Honestly and responsibility is all I am advocating for. Playing it coy is not honest or what leadership looks like. Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
I have a seen a lot of dumb posts on BN, but yours ranks as one of the dumbest of all time. He has zero obligation to post any clarification. He made a post on social media that mentioned nothing about leaving, yet some posters start speculating and create all this confusion. Stupid. And to demand a clarification has to be an all time dumb ass request.
Go to Choate's Signing Day press conference and listen to the section from 36-40 mins...then come back and tell me how dumb ass it is in light of the portal situation to KNOW who is on your roster and who is not. I hope Williams sticks and stays. I support him doing that, but I am with Coach on the "making it easy to leave" thing. Don't like it, don't like the Twitter postings of those who left, and if James is staying... =D^ .

Now, go rant on someone else!
Go read your post! You were demanding an update from Williams because he posted a picture of himself on social media while visiting his family. That has nothing to do with the portal. He never mentioned anything about football status. The kid was posting a picture on social media. You expect these kids to post player status every time they venture out of town??? Like I said earlier, one of the all time dumbest posts ever!

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 am

On more pleasant thoughts.... do you realize if put Tua on the DL with Williams.... lined them up in the middle on the defensive line... there would be over 700 lbs of mass for an OL to try to move? And thats "before" they get up to playing weight!

Not to mention the potential for our own Bobcat "Refrigerator Perry" look alike play. Maybe we could have a "Double Door Refrigerator Perry" play. Standing side by side, the defense might not be able to see who is really in the backfield.

OK... I'm off track.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 am
On more pleasant thoughts.... do you realize if you put Tua on the DL with Williams.... lined them up in the middle on the defensive line... there would be over 700 lbs of mass for an OL to try to move? And thats "before" they get up to playing weight!

Not to mention the potential for our own Bobcat "Refrigerator Perry" look alike play. Maybe we could have a "Double Door Refrigerator Perry" play. Standing side by side, the defense might not be able to see who is really in the backfield.

OK... I'm off track.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
On more pleasant thoughts.... do you realize if put Tua on the DL with Williams.... lined them up in the middle on the defensive line... there would be over 700 lbs of mass for an OL to try to move? And thats "before" they get up to playing weight!

OK... I'm off track.
No keep going. Talk about blowing up some holes. Get Miller on the phone. Last year Yates lined up a FB a couple plays. I was waiting for heads to pop off, he made his blocks, but heads stayed on.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:30 pm

FTG247365 wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:12 pm
BobcatDel wrote:

OK... I'm off track.
No keep going. Talk about blowing up some holes. Get Miller on the phone. Last year Yates lined up a FB a couple plays. I was waiting for heads to pop off, he made his blocks, but heads stayed on.
You could have them lined up in the backfield in the slot position, one on each side, and put one in motion.
They would have to be put in motion to get them up to speed to catch those skinny nose guards.
Would scare the hell out of a nose guard getting pancaked from the side...

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 am

Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am

Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.
You hate to speculate but then you go ahead and do it. This kind of thing is what is stupid about these boards. Wild, baseless, irresponsible discussions based on nothing.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:53 am

84CatGrad wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:39 am
Cat4LifeHouseDivided wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:31 am

Some cryptic stuff, plus it says he is in Ft. Worth. I realize he is from Texas but it seems like an awkward time to be down there. I hate to speculate but it appears we could be losing another one.
You hate to speculate but then you go ahead and do it. This kind of thing is what is stupid about these boards. Wild, baseless, irresponsible discussions based on nothing.
And if you followed the thread, I took responsibility for it and apologized. You can kiss my ass.