Facilities - Coach Choate

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by Catfanatic84 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm

Heard Coach Choate interviewed on T&N today....he reiterated how important facilities are to recruiting. He mentioned a need to "relaunch" the facilities fund raising campaign to get shovels in the ground as soon as possible.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Facilities - Coach Choate

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:45 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm
Heard Coach Choate interviewed on T&N today....he reiterated how important facilities are to recruiting. He mentioned a need to "relaunch" the facilities fund raising campaign to get shovels in the ground as soon as possible.
Is there a podcast or any way I can listen to the interview?

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Facebook

Under Montana State Bobcats

Thought he said that we need shovels in the dirt before this summer and the importantace it would have on our program.

Punters are people too!!

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984champ » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:04 pm

Catfanatic84 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:39 pm
Heard Coach Choate interviewed on T&N today....he reiterated how importants facilities are to recruiting. He mentioned a need to "relaunch" the facilities fund raising campaign to get shovels in the ground as soon as possible.
Yes, he also mentioned that it is important to show the recruits something tangible and get the North Endzone built. He said that we are a facility away from nobody being able to compete with us in recruiting. He also emphasized how easily this momentum can backslide if we do not respond to facility improvements. He wants construction starting this summer.
ATTENTION LEON!!!
ATTENTION DONERS!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:06 pm

More comments to Colter about needing to re-announce fundraising.

Last edited by Hawks86 on Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:07 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:52 pm
Facebook

Under Montana State Bobcats

Thought he said that we need shovels in the dirt before this summer and the importantace it would have on our program.
He said Choate was interviewed on T&N which I think is Tootell and Nuanez. Not the same as the dog and pony show at the Grantree.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:10 pm

He said the same thing in the press conference today, about the need to get shovels in the ground this summer.

This gets brought up every couple months, but it made me wonder again how close the fundraising is to getting phase 1 started. By him saying he hopes things can get started this summer, I’d think that it’s at least conceivable that could happen and the fundraising is close-ish to making it a reality.

But then again, maybe that’s wishful thinking...

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:17 pm

I was talking about the facilities thing, not the T&N thing. I should have made that more clear. Sorry!!

Punters are people too!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:34 pm

“Relaunch” the facilities fund drive. Sigh..... C’mon MSU leadership, let’s get this done! WTH.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

Choate couldn't be more right on this issue, IMO. We got that end zone built, and that was it. We're falling behind every single day that we're not starting phase 1. Critical, and I think our AD has been too passive, personally. But I also realize I'm not in the know, and am aware of the fantastic job he was a part of at SDSU, so i'm willing to be a little patient thinking he can do something similar here. I'm sure plenty of work and discussions are being had quietly, but it does get a little frustrating as a fan and small donor to see the big facilities rollout, then hear crickets on the progress.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm

"...help everyone understand that we're not that far away."

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:47 pm
I believe we are far away. Very far away. MSU has always had difficulty with this and the money they raise cannot all go toward football related facilities. I hope I am wrong but I would expect little (if any) improvement for 5 more years.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:05 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
I believe we are far away. Very far away. MSU has always had difficulty with this and the money they raise cannot all go toward football related facilities. I hope I am wrong but I would expect little (if any) improvement for 5 more years.
So you think Choate misspoke?

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:28 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:09 pm
gtapp wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
My .02....tough to think you could have shovels in the ground by summer if you didnt have at least a decent start on the campaign. Tough to line everything out for that soon of start without a solid base.

Common Cat

Post by Common Cat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 pm

I’ll believe Choate on this one.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
NO, Choate is pushing as hard as he can and doing everything he can by producing a winning team under the current facility plan. I just think it will be harder than he realizes. We need a lot of money. The stadium alone needs about $30M and the indoor practice facility is job one so make that $45 M. Since other facilities cannot be ignored make that $60M plus. I just don't see that happening in less than 5-10 maybe even 15 years. We don't get much just replacing the east side stands. It will look better and line up with the end zone but it produces about the same number of seats and does not change the overall stadium much. BUT, it has to be done second (after the indoor practice facility) because it is falling apart. So again, $45 - $60 million before a lot of stadium improvements. NOw an indoor practice facility will help but I believe that what really matters to recruits is the stadium they play in and maybe the locker rooms/weight room(s).

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm

gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
NO, Choate is pushing as hard as he can and doing everything he can by producing a winning team under the current facility plan. I just think it will be harder than he realizes. We need a lot of money. The stadium alone needs about $30M and the indoor practice facility is job one so make that $45 M. Since other facilities cannot be ignored make that $60M plus. I just don't see that happening in less than 5-10 maybe even 15 years. We don't get much just replacing the east side stands. It will look better and line up with the end zone but it produces about the same number of seats and does not change the overall stadium much. BUT, it has to be done second (after the indoor practice facility) because it is falling apart. S9 again, $45 - $60 million before a lot of stadium improvements. NOw an indoor practice facility will help but I believe that what really matters to recruits is the stadium they play in and maybe the locker rooms/weight room(s).
He's not talking about everything. Just the NEZ complex which is first. He even mentioned a bubble would be fine for right now.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:49 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 pm
I’ll believe Choate on this one.
I always believe Choate but it sounded like wishful thinking and nothing based on the fundraising effort. He sounded like "hey we need this". Now maybe something is happening behind the scenes they are not releasing yet, but why not tell everyone? I think more donors will contribut if they know their donation will make a difference because others are donating. I work in company fundraising part of the time and that is how it works. Once you get that first $10-$15M other donors jump in because ir feels real now.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:45 pm
gtapp wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:41 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
gtapp wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
NO, Choate is pushing as hard as he can and doing everything he can by producing a winning team under the current facility plan. I just think it will be harder than he realizes. We need a lot of money. The stadium alone needs about $30M and the indoor practice facility is job one so make that $45 M. Since other facilities cannot be ignored make that $60M plus. I just don't see that happening in less than 5-10 maybe even 15 years. We don't get much just replacing the east side stands. It will look better and line up with the end zone but it produces about the same number of seats and does not change the overall stadium much. BUT, it has to be done second (after the indoor practice facility) because it is falling apart. S9 again, $45 - $60 million before a lot of stadium improvements. NOw an indoor practice facility will help but I believe that what really matters to recruits is the stadium they play in and maybe the locker rooms/weight room(s).
He's not talking about everything. Just the NEZ complex which is first. He even mentioned a bubble would be fine for right now.
If I was him I would want the NEZ first also but that would be difficult. THe indoor practice facility is used my almost every university sport and therefore they all benefit and all support it. The NEZ does not. When I toured the SDSU indoor facility I could see how they were using it. They were able to train their student athletes in a unique way that you could not do in a typical weight room setting. When you donate to the expansion project you have a choice. A donation for all of it or you can be specific. If they get a $15M donation from one source who says I want it to go to the stadium then we are on our way. If not Choate will have to fight for the money just like every other coach in the department. The indoor facility is an easy sell because football wins. recruiting improves and the other sports support the decision. Try selling a $15M+ end zone when the other sports see little facility improvement and the stadium just added about $12M+ a few years ago (end zone, turf, lights and scoreboard).

A bubble is still expensive and is more expensive as a whole once you replace it with a steel structure.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:22 pm

The Bobcat Athletic Complex is designed to meet the needs identified
by users and stakeholders and encompasses current trends in Division I
athletics and at peer institutions.
Objectives
Create a state of the art facility at a level necessary for the Bobcat
football team to better recruit and compete for Big Sky Conference
and national championships.
Free up space in the Brick Breeden Fieldhouse to set the stage for
future renovations to the seating bowl, fan amenities and improved
student-athlete academic success, training, and performance areas.
This new home for the football team will be in the north end zone of
Bobcat Stadium.
Benefits include:
• proximity to the training facilities
• provides sense of enclosure to the stadium, enhances intimacy and
increases home-field advantage
• creates a front door and face to the football stadium on Kagy
Boulevard and 11th Avenue.
Facility details and amenities
This facility will contain a new locker room for day-to-day use and
game-day use.
It will provide all necessary health, safety and training areas for the
football team and all student-athletes, including:
• new weight room
• nutrition refueling station
• training and rehab and recovery rooms.

It will be a showcase for recruiting, highlighting the history of MSU
football and giving recruits a glimpse of what life as a Bobcat can be. It
will provide the necessary spaces and tools for coaches including team
rooms, coaches’ offices, conference rooms and video analysis
It also includes the new academic center in the fieldhouse.