2019 Signing Day thread II

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Re: 2019 Signing Day thread II

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:06 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am
Has anyone seen Martin’s stats? They are ridiculous.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gender ... 4552d8a797
I have kept my mouth shut for the most part because I didn't want to jinx it, but how the hell did this kid fly under the radar in the football hotbed that is Florida?!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:09 pm

I would give anything to Jahaire Martin and Troy Andersen both on the field playing linebacker. That could be something right there.

Punters are people too!!

Andy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Andy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 pm

It is White Sulphur Springs, MT. I believe it was wrong on the board behind Coach Choate as well.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:21 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:06 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am
Has anyone seen Martin’s stats? They are ridiculous.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gender ... 4552d8a797
I have kept my mouth shut for the most part because I didn't want to jinx it, but how the hell did this kid fly under the radar in the football hotbed that is Florida?!
Lack of height. Same old stuff.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:20 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm
per choate's live feed, some random notes:

-Choate is a big fan of the Transfer Portal...……… haha. He did not sugar coat how much he HATES it, and pretty much said it is the worst thing to be introduced ever in sports. period.
Choate didn’t seem too happy about a couple of recent departures. He talked for awhile about how easy it is with the portal now for kids to just quit after only being somewhere for a semester or two, sounded like a direct shot at a couple of guys that recently left.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:34 pm

Man, you can tell Choate is pissed about some of these transfers. :lol:

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:20 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

-Choate is a big fan of the Transfer Portal...……… haha. He did not sugar coat how much he HATES it, and pretty much said it is the worst thing to be introduced ever in sports. period.
Choate didn’t seem too happy about a couple of recent departures. He talked for awhile about how easy it is with the portal now for kids to just quit after only being somewhere for a semester or two, sounded like a direct shot at a couple of guys that recently left.
Ya, it sounds like kids can just ask to have their name put in the portal without even telling any coaches, and the coaches get a note after it happens. Pretty crappy deal IMO. If a kid wants to leave, that's fine, but the least they can do is tell the coach they're leaving before just signing up for the portal. It's like telling your friends that you're breaking up with your girlfriend without actually telling her, and letting your friends tell her. It's disrespectful and chickensh** IMO.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:02 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm
RobertCats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 pm
which many of us have been saying for months.... :lol:
#BOOM! :D

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Not to sidetrack this and don’t want to take away from NSD, but does anyone know if the transfer portal is available for anyone to view, or just coaches? Also, I think this is a great class of recruits.

Punters are people too!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm

Catsrgrood wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don’t really blame him. When you see how much time, effort, and money goes into recruiting, training, equipping, and coaching players, I can see how coaches would be upset that a guy just decides to leave after six months and potentially doesn’t even bother to give you a face to face courtesy notice that they are moving on. Just crazy.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:14 pm

GoCats18 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:25 pm
Not to sidetrack this and don’t want to take away from NSD, but does anyone know if the transfer portal is available for anyone to view, or just coaches? Also, I think this is a great class of recruits.
I tried to find this earlier, but only found one website that was tracking FBS kids entering the portal. I couldn’t actually find the portal or any information on FCS kids. I did see one article that said over 1,000 kids have entered the portal this year!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm

It a real chance that a lot of these kids take, because if they aren't rich, they rather routinely give up a full paid for scholarship for a chance to walk on to another team without aid. I think that would be scary, and if they just have an inflated idea of their talent, they are left with nothing!

2024 Resume dominance

stevo
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by stevo » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 am

stevo wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:37 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:22 am
385? Really? :^o :-k
Coach told the QBC that this is NOT a typo

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am

AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I don’t really blame him. When you see how much time, effort, and money goes into recruiting, training, equipping, and coaching players, I can see how coaches would be upset that a guy just decides to leave after six months and potentially doesn’t even bother to give you a face to face courtesy notice that they are moving on. Just crazy.
He may hate it now, but coach Choate is a smart man. He will find a way to turn it into a wash by finding players in the "portal' that were off the table in earlier recruiting, and bring them in. Everybody is in the same boat with this new transfer dynamic.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:35 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:33 am
AFCAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:41 pm
Catsrgrood wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

He may hate it now, but coach Choate is a smart man. He will find a way to turn it into a wash by finding players in the "portal' that were off the table in earlier recruiting, and bring them in. Everybody is in the same boat with this new transfer dynamic.
I’m not sure. That still doesn’t address the issue of spending all that time, effort, and money to recruit, equip, and train players only to have them leave after six months. I don’t know what the solution is since I can see both sides of the issue, but the status quo doesn’t really work either. You are correct though, Choate is a smart guy.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm

Maybe a solution is that a player can't enter the transfer portal until he has been at a program for 2 years? Before that he would need to ask permission the old fashioned way.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:41 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:35 pm
Maybe a solution is that a player can't enter the transfer portal until he has been at a program for 2 years? Before that he would need to ask permission the old fashioned way.
That might not be too bad, but then the schools should also have to guarantee a scholarship for two years.

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm

When a player enters the portal does he automatically remove himself from the team or is he just notifying the country that he's available to be recruited for transfer? If he's not technically done at his current school that would be one change that could be made either nationally or by individual schools.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm

coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm
When a player enters the portal does he automatically remove himself from the team or is he just notifying the country that he's available to be recruited for transfer? If he's not technically done at his current school that would be one change that could be made either nationally or by individual schools.
That is the worst part of the portal if you ask me. Any player at any came can enter the portal without the coaches knowledge. They are essentially free agents all season long. Any coach can view the portal and if anyone strikes them as a player who might be able to help can reach out to them. Again...all without the coaches notice.

I'm a big advocate about players having options. But the more I learn about this the worse I think it is.

I also think that this could become such a huge deal that coaches might have to hire someone full time just to view the portal to see who is out there, both possible current players as well as players of need.

This is going to be facinating to watch the next couple years

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:32 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 pm
coloradocat wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm
That is the worst part of the portal if you ask me. Any player at any came can enter the portal without the coaches knowledge. They are essentially free agents all season long. Any coach can view the portal and if anyone strikes them as a player who might be able to help can reach out to them. Again...all without the coaches notice.

I'm a big advocate about players having options. But the more I learn about this the worse I think it is.

I also think that this could become such a huge deal that coaches might have to hire someone full time just to view the portal to see who is out there, both possible current players as well as players of need.

This is going to be facinating to watch the next couple years
If a current player enters the portal, MSU Compliance automatically notifies the coaches. So they know about but can't really do anything about it. No planning can go into it.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."