2019 Signing Day thread II

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2019 Signing Day thread II

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm

per choate's live feed, some random notes:

-That actually was NOT a typo on the announcement for Tua……………. dude actually weighs like 380..... good lord!
-sounds like he is VERY high on Dom Brown.
-Kettels sounds legit, recovering from an injury so he will grey shirt.... I'm guessing this is part of the reason we got him. if healthy he may have been scooped up by bigger programs.
-Choate is a big fan of the Transfer Portal...……… haha. He did not sugar coat how much he HATES it, and pretty much said it is the worst thing to be introduced ever in sports. period.
-I frickin love listening to Choate talk.... he gets you so pumped up!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 pm

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:01 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:58 pm
which many of us have been saying for months.... :lol:

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:03 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am
So I just got caught up looking over our signing class today. Very impressive. Thought I would check and see how the Griz are doing today. So far, they have signed two players, both kickers.😂
I thought the same thing, just went over to their twitter feed just to see and it looks like the Official Griz Football Twitter has me blocked, I don't think I have ever tweeted or replied to anything they have put on there ever!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Surprised the hell out of me.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 pm

-That actually was NOT a typo on the announcement for Tua……………. dude actually weighs like 380..... good lord!
-Kettels sounds legit, recovering from an injury so he will grey shirt.... I'm guessing this is part of the reason we got him. if healthy he may have been scooped up by bigger programs.
-Choate is a big fan of the Transfer Portal...……… haha. He did not sugar coat how much he HATES it, and pretty much said it is the worst thing to be introduced ever in sports. period.
He also incorrectly said Ethan Bullock and Logan Gilliard were teammates in high school. One is from Big Timber and one is from Bigfork so Choate brain-farted on that one.

Main points Choate brought up with the transfer portal:

25% of the names in the portal are from Division 1 football programs. Next year that could double meaning about half of Division 1 rosters will be influx. Gives kids an easy way out to "quit". They simply send an email to MSU compliance and the coaching staff gets an FYI email from compliance. The kid does not even have to talk to the coach. Choate stated he has honest discussions with the parents of the kids about how much the climate changes in Bozeman come January/February. He said he usually gets the right answer from the parents but obviously isn't a sure thing. Choate talked about how he has a duty to develop these kids from a young age and mold them into men. The portal allows them to make decisions completely on their own that mentally they aren't equipped to have. Not every situation is the same. Some kids have honest conversations with the coaches and they can help guide them to a new school. But it sounds like this was not what happened with the most recent transfers. The kids entered their name in and that's it.

I agree that a kid should have a choice to not be stuck in a situation (coaching staff leaves, family issues at home, etc.) but when they are on scholarship and give the coaching staff literally zero notice they intend to transfer, it makes it very difficult to get a grasp on who is going to be in the building.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:50 pm
Kettels will grayshirt.
So not enroll until Winter and not be in Bozeman? and this is verified?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 pm

mslacatfan wrote:

Tua is gonna need to lose weight. Probably why we got him. Can't play football well at 380 pounds.

I didn't listen, but I'm telling you guys, Dom Brown is an impact player. That's my guy.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Kettels will grayshirt.
So basically they take a year off to fully recover from the injury and not lose their redshirt year. They then enroll a year later (January 2020 in Kettels case) and join the team as a true freshman. Choate verified it in his press conference. It is available for a reason.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:24 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Kettels will grayshirt.
Yea, per Choate from the event. Enroll in 2020.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:29 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

Tua is gonna need to lose weight. Probably why we got him. Can't play football well at 380 pounds.

I didn't listen, but I'm telling you guys, Dom Brown is an impact player. That's my guy.
Choate really bragged about Dom.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:23 pm
mslacatfan wrote:

He also incorrectly said Ethan Bullock and Logan Gilliard were teammates in high school. One is from Big Timber and one is from Bigfork so Choate brain-farted on that one.

25% of the names in the portal are from Division 1 football programs. Next year that could double meaning about half of Division 1 rosters will be influx. Gives kids an easy way out to "quit". They simply send an email to MSU compliance and the coaching staff gets an FYI email from compliance. The kid does not even have to talk to the coach. Choate stated he has honest discussions with the parents of the kids about how much the climate changes in Bozeman come January/February. He said he usually gets the right answer from the parents but obviously isn't a sure thing. Choate talked about how he has a duty to develop these kids from a young age and mold them into men. The portal allows them to make decisions completely on their own that mentally they aren't equipped to have. Not every situation is the same. Some kids have honest conversations with the coaches and they can help guide them to a new school. But it sounds like this was not what happened with the most recent transfers. The kids entered their name in and that's it.

I agree that a kid should have a choice to not be stuck in a situation (coaching staff leaves, family issues at home, etc.) but when they are on scholarship and give the coaching staff literally zero notice they intend to transfer, it makes it very difficult to get a grasp on who is going to be in the building.
VIM,
I guess my real question is how does this impact the class size of the following class. Isn't there a limit of 25 Scholarships per year (ok, split between a few people). Not a limit on how many can come in, but how many get scholarship? And someone saying Kettels Grey shirting means he'll start school in Jan 2020 and count against the next years 25?
Seeing how we are at 30 and counting..... And I know the PWO's don't count because no financial aid...
Is that what we can expect each year, 30 to 35 recruits with a 8 as PWO, 10 to 15 leave the next year for the portal, and we get to 25 scholarships with a few transfers in?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I'll have to give it a listen. Got a link?

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:48 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:38 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:31 pm
bobcat99 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

I'll have to give it a listen. Got a link?
Last edited by RobertCats on Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Choate also mentioned at about the 17:35 mark that he expects to pickup another DL before spring as he went into there are now 3 recruiting seasons, the early signing period, the normal signing period (today) and then the drop-down/Juco transfer period. Sounds like we have a DL transfer or two in mind?

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

VIM,
I guess my real question is how does this impact the class size of the following class. Isn't there a limit of 25 Scholarships per year (ok, split between a few people). Not a limit on how many can come in, but how many get scholarship? And someone saying Kettels Grey shirting means he'll start school in Jan 2020 and count against the next years 25?
Seeing how we are at 30 and counting..... And I know the PWO's don't count because no financial aid...
Is that what we can expect each year, 30 to 35 recruits with a 8 as PWO, 10 to 15 leave the next year for the portal, and we get to 25 scholarships with a few transfers in?
Choate made it a point to say that they brought in quite a few that qualified for academic aid.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Random thought-

Jack galt, who signed out of white sulpher springs, welcome aboard, congrats.

I’m just assuming he is related to bill galt.... one of the largest land owners in MT (huge cattle ranch) in white sulpher and worth a crap load of money...

(Cough, cough)
Stadium expansion donation
(Cough,cough)

FTG- GO CATS GO!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:55 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Random thought-

I’m just assuming he is related to bill galt.... one of the largest land owners in MT (huge cattle ranch) in white sulpher and worth a crap load of money...

(Cough, cough)
(Cough,cough)
Good catch. That has to be the case. Galt Stadium?

vike_king

Post by vike_king » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:58 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:21 pm
Random thought-

(Cough, cough)
(Cough,cough)

You really should get that cough looked at........ :D :D :D

Chester, MT/ Helena, MT

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:53 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:51 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:

VIM,
Choate made it a point to say that they brought in quite a few that qualified for academic aid.
Wouldn't that still count against the number of total athletic scholarships? Seems that would be an easy way to game the system if they could just get academic scholarships.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:19 am
Has anyone seen Martin’s stats? They are ridiculous.

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gender ... 4552d8a797

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast