James Williams?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: James Williams?

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 am
I know it's been hard for his mom and sister to come to games. The cost of flights, hotels and car rental. There's not a doubt, financially, it's been a burden for his family. He loves MSU and Bozeman. And yes, I know this as a fact.
C’mon PhatCat. We all know you know.
Thanks Tom. Just cutting the rest of them off at the past. lol. Nice to see ya last fall.

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:20 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am
PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 am
I know it's been hard for his mom and sister to come to games. The cost of flights, hotels and car rental. There's not a doubt, financially, it's been a burden for his family. He loves MSU and Bozeman. And yes, I know this as a fact.

soooooo, can you confirm if he is leaving or not?
I'll call his mom, if coach doesn't say something about it.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 am
It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).
Totally agree with you! Which in and of itself is remarkable.... :wink:

I get guys are fans of this team. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people don't want players to have as much freedom as the staff gets. Players make the program. If it's not the right fit for them personally they should go somewhere that is. Sure, we'll lose some good ones. But we'll gain some good ones throughout the preocess as well. And for some reason we never seem to bash the kids that COME here from somewhere else....just those that LEAVE for somewhere else. weird.
It's not that I don't want them to have the freedom but just because I think they deserve it doesn't make it sting less. I just worry its feeding into the "me first" epidemic and kids aren't being forced to see things through for their own good. Jeez when did I get so old...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:53 am
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).

I get guys are fans of this team. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people don't want players to have as much freedom as the staff gets. Players make the program. If it's not the right fit for them personally they should go somewhere that is. Sure, we'll lose some good ones. But we'll gain some good ones throughout the preocess as well. And for some reason we never seem to bash the kids that COME here from somewhere else....just those that LEAVE for somewhere else. weird.
It's not that I don't want them to have the freedom but just because I think they deserve it doesn't make it sting less. I just worry its feeding into the "me first" epidemic and kids aren't being forced to see things through for their own good. Jeez when did I get so old...
I'm in my mid 30s now and never understood why a chemistry student at a college could transfer, but if you are a chemistry student and also play football, well you are SOL, at least if you want to play football somewhere.

Life is short, and your football career is much shorter as 99.9% of these guys are done after college. Football isn't a sport you can ever really play again very easily. You can play tennis, basketball, volleyball, etc pretty easily but if you want an 11 on 11 full tackle football game, when does that happen unless maybe you join a local semi-pro team.

Point is, you get 4 good years to play college ball so why would you waste it in a situation that wasn't what you were expecting, and you aren't going to play if your goal is to you know, play.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:59 am
technoCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I'm in my mid 30s now and never understood why a chemistry student at a college could transfer, but if you are a chemistry student and also play football, well you are SOL, at least if you want to play football somewhere.

Life is short, and your football career is much shorter as 99.9% of these guys are done after college. Football isn't a sport you can ever really play again very easily. You can play tennis, basketball, volleyball, etc pretty easily but if you want an 11 on 11 full tackle football game, when does that happen unless maybe you join a local semi-pro team.

Point is, you get 4 good years to play college ball so why would you waste it in a situation that wasn't what you were expecting, and you aren't going to play if your goal is to you know, play.
Yes there are some that are in bad situations and need to find better ones for sure. But there are also those that don't want to put the work in and drop down to the point that its EASY for them to start. Who knows what the actual percentages are.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:03 am

technoCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I get it. though i think the epidemic that you're talking about has been going on since the beginning of forever. my parents thought that my friends and i were way lazier and "me too" than they were. My grandma thought my moms generation was way more "me too" than hers. And I bet if my great grandma were still here she'd say that she thought my grandmas generation was the same way. :D

I just think players have been getting screwed over for way too long. They're forced to make a decision when they're 17-18 and stick by it no matter what or be labeled a quitter or selfish. But anyone else within the program or even fans of a program are free to do whatever they want and it's all fine and great. but if a player feels this isn't the best fit for himself some get all upset.

I like the kids having a little freedom that they've never had.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am

technoCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am
CelticCat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yes there are some that are in bad situations and need to find better ones for sure. But there are also those that don't want to put the work in and drop down to the point that its EASY for them to start. Who knows what the actual percentages are.
Yet a person who transfers out of a hard academic institution to an easier one to finish their degree aren't scrutinized in this same way.

As I understand it, scholarships are a yearly contract. If you want to op out of the contract and the end of the year, you should be able to, a coach or staff shouldn't block you, and you should be able to get a contract somewhere else if you want to. Just my $.02.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

suckitgriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by suckitgriz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am

Fake news. Here is James working out yesterday (far right in picture)...if i could figure out how to attach a pic. I will edit when i figure it out.
Last edited by suckitgriz on Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am

suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:22 am
Fake news. Here is James working out yesterday (far right in picture).ImageImage-1.jpg
This is hilarious! :) IF Coach wants to clear this up, he can. If not... here we sit. James...if you're listening, post something clear and stop being cryptic on Twitter! Be the starter you are penciled in to be, OR, hit the road...but enough of this goofy ambiguity!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:26 am
suckitgriz wrote:
Fake news. Here is James working out yesterday (far right in picture).ImageImage-1.jpg
This is hilarious! :) IF Coach wants to clear this up, he can. If not... here we sit. James...if you're listening, post something clear and stop being cryptic on Twitter! Be the starter you are penciled in to be, OR, hit the road...but enough of this goofy ambiguity!
James owes us fans nothing. He has worked extremely hard during his short time at MSU and can post anything to his public social media account whenever he wants. If he does "hit the road", he will be missed and I wish him nothing but success.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:33 am

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:28 am
catsrback76 wrote:
suckitgriz wrote:
James owes us fans nothing. He has worked extremely hard during his short time at MSU and can post anything to his public social media account whenever he wants. If he does "hit the road", he will be missed and I wish him nothing but success.
Totally agree. I hope he realizes the mark he could leave on this program if he stays. But there are bigger things than football at Montana State so he needs to do what he needs to do.

He will wreck this league the next few years if he sticks it out though. Kid is such a stud.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 am

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am

VimSince03 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
suckitgriz wrote:
Though I agree he is our preferred player at his position BECAUSE he has worked hard...it is also true he has been scholarshipped to play at MSU and we have upheld our end of the relationship. It's time to grow up and take accountability by either giving a response to the university and fan base, team, and coaching staff who supports his right to play football and to get a world class education at MSU....or, to transfer to someplace else. Honestly and responsibility is all I am advocating for. Playing it coy is not honest or what leadership looks like. Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:42 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
suckitgriz wrote:
Though I agree he is our preferred player at his position BECAUSE he has worked hard...it is also true he has been scholarshipped to play at MSU and we have upheld our end of the relationship. It's time to grow up and take accountability by either giving a response to the university and fan base, team, and coaching staff who supports his right to play football and to get a world class education at MSU....or, to transfer to someplace else. Honestly and responsibility is all I am advocating for. Playing it coy is not honest or what leadership looks like. Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Dude...he literally made a few posts on social media and now he's supposed to hold a frickin' press conference to clarify his intentions?!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:48 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:40 am
VimSince03 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
suckitgriz wrote:
I have a seen a lot of dumb posts on BN, but yours ranks as one of the dumbest of all time. He has zero obligation to post any clarification. He made a post on social media that mentioned nothing about leaving, yet some posters start speculating and create all this confusion. Stupid. And to demand a clarification has to be an all time dumb ass request.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:52 am

This is the exact reason I say to stay off the social media for some people.

Some of you act worse than the young men you bitch about.

suckitgriz
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by suckitgriz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am

Well I cannot figure out how to post a picture, but he was working out with the Team yesterday. I have heard from a couple sources that he went home to visit family over the weekend. His dad died last fall- probably a good thing to get to see family. Move on, people...give the kid a break.
Last edited by suckitgriz on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm

suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am
Well I cannot figure out how to post a picture, but he was working out with the Team yesterday. I have heard from a couple sources that he went home to visit family over the weekend. His dad died last fall- probably a good thing. Move on, people...give the kid a break.
I think everyone (including me) learned a valuable lesson about social media the past 24 hours.

Cat4LifeHouseDivided
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Cat4LifeHouseDivided » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:03 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:00 pm
suckitgriz wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am
Well I cannot figure out how to post a picture, but he was working out with the Team yesterday. I have heard from a couple sources that he went home to visit family over the weekend. His dad died last fall- probably a good thing. Move on, people...give the kid a break.
I think everyone (including me) learned a valuable lesson about social media the past 24 hours.
Agreed, Vim. I take full responsibility for what turned in to a train wreck thread. I should have remembered what assume means. Ugh

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:12 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am
technoCat wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:01 am
CelticCat wrote:
technoCat wrote:
ilovethecats wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yet a person who transfers out of a hard academic institution to an easier one to finish their degree aren't scrutinized in this same way.

As I understand it, scholarships are a yearly contract. If you want to op out of the contract and the end of the year, you should be able to, a coach or staff shouldn't block you, and you should be able to get a contract somewhere else if you want to. Just my $.02.
You honestly think that someone who drops out of a Ivy league school to go to UM 8) wouldn't be scrutinized by the people that are paying attention to them.

How often to coaches really block players from moving if they really want to? Probably another statistic we can only guess at.

Let's take a step back. I do believe that players should have the right to switch if they want. BUT being human, I can't help to wonder why and more often than not, the lack of details(which are not owed to us) on the situation makes our imaginations wonder to less flattering reasons. We could just not care at all I guess. :wink: