James Williams?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: James Williams?

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:58 pm

I have to believe it’ll go both ways though. The Cats have just been on the wrong end so far.

There are going to be the Bryce Sterks of the world looking for more playing time than they’re getting at an FBS program and wanting to drop down. No team should rely too heavily on this because of the risk (Sparaco, Barkley for example), but it’d be foolish not to always be on the lookout for immediate help. I’d be ok if the team brought in a couple transfers a year to fix an immediate need but primarily built the program on recruiting HS players and developing them.

I would anticipate the Cats will be fairly active themselves in this portal, specifically looking for some DL and WR’s now...

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:02 pm

It may give players playing in the FCS who felt like they should've had bigger offers try their hand at getting recruited again, but wouldn't it also make it easier to land dropdowns? If a guy at a P5 school was thinking of dropping down, but was afraid to fully commit to transferring, he could also dip his toes in the market without fear of losing his current scholarship.

Transferring up still requires sitting out a year, whereas dropping down does not. Williams redshirted so if he is transferring up or even laterally he would lose his freshman year and be a redshirt sophomore in 2020.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:04 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:02 pm
It may give players playing in the FCS who felt like they should've had bigger offers try their hand at getting recruited again, but wouldn't it also make it easier to land dropdowns? If a guy at a P5 school was thinking of dropping down, but was afraid to fully commit to transferring, he could also dip his toes in the market without fear of losing his current scholarship.

Transferring up still requires sitting out a year, whereas dropping down does not. Williams redshirted so if he is transferring up or even laterally he would lose his freshman year and be a redshirt sophomore in 2020.
Williams did not redshirt.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:08 pm

CelticCat wrote:

You must be thinking of someone else, Williams played significant snaps last year, he didn't redshirt.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:12 pm

I thought he only played in 4 games, my mistake!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:28 pm

This sucks. Hope it isn’t true and that he is still on the team.

Punters are people too!!

catsack
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by catsack » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:20 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Either way he will be a redshirt sophomore in 2020 if he is transferring, unless he can get a hardship case .

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:37 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:29 pm
I'm just going to say it - this transfer portal thing is complete bullsh*t. MSU (and every other program that gets affected by this) spends a ton of money recruiting and developing these players, only to have them transfer out before they do a damn thing. It's complete garbage, and is seriously going to lower the quality of play at the FCS level. This is different than the drop-down situation. I don't like it one bit. And at the end of the day, I don't think it's good on the human development side of things either.
I personally like it. If a player previously wanted to transfer, he had to request permission from his coach. The coach was in control, who himself has no real obligation to stay and teach the young men he recruited to come play for him.

College football players had no power before, in a game where millions are made off their hard work. If a college student who also plays football wants to transfer to another school to change his education or just change his scenery for various reason, he should be allowed to do that.
This this this.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:44 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:37 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
I'm just going to say it - this transfer portal thing is complete bullsh*t. MSU (and every other program that gets affected by this) spends a ton of money recruiting and developing these players, only to have them transfer out before they do a damn thing. It's complete garbage, and is seriously going to lower the quality of play at the FCS level. This is different than the drop-down situation. I don't like it one bit. And at the end of the day, I don't think it's good on the human development side of things either.
I personally like it. If a player previously wanted to transfer, he had to request permission from his coach. The coach was in control, who himself has no real obligation to stay and teach the young men he recruited to come play for him.

College football players had no power before, in a game where millions are made off their hard work. If a college student who also plays football wants to transfer to another school to change his education or just change his scenery for various reason, he should be allowed to do that.
completely see both sides. 100% agree that the kids should be able to make their own decisions with this stuff (even though it might piss me off). But man, this could REALLY crush the talent level at the FCS level... makes it pretty simple for any player that is halfway decent to just transfer out to a bigger program....
I do agree that I see both sides to it, but it is going to kill good programs (any top-25 program) that get all the players they recruited and developed cherry picked by the bigger schools that did a crappy job of recruiting and identifying talent. I just don't think it should be so easy to move. I believe a little more in sticking through once you've made a commitment to something, although that sentiment certainly does not seem as important to this current generation. It's one thing if the school/staff undergoes changes (like a coach leaves or gets fired), or if a player wants to transfer because he's not going to play, but entirely something else when the staff has 100% fulfilled all their promises and obligations and the kid up and moves to another program without any penalty. I suppose MSU could get into this by recruiting some D2 kids, but I don't think there is as much out there in D2-to-FCS as FCS-to-FBS.

GO CATS GO!!!

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 pm

MSU01 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:48 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
From what I understand, the Transfer Portal basically allows players to reopen their recruitment and be contacted by potential transfer institutions while still enrolled and participating in football at their current school. To me, it sure seems like a great mechanism for FBS programs to snap up the top young FCS talent they missed out on for whatever reason during the original recruiting process. Whether this is good or bad for the players involved (the grass is always greener...) or the health of college football overall I'm not sure, but it seems to put FCS and non-Power 5 FBS schools at a rather large disadvantage when it comes to retaining their top young talent.
My understanding is that the second a player puts himself in the portal, he may be at risk for losing his current scholarship. It makes sense as he’s basically saying “sorry coach I’m going to shop around a bit for a better fit.”

This then gives the coach the ability to to say “don’t let the door hit you on the way out”

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 pm
2018 Recruits:

Blake Allred, FB - Transferred out
Ryan Barkley, OL
Seer Deines, DL
Koby Duru, WR - Transferred out
Greg Filer III, CB
Isaiah Ifanse, RB
Donny Long, OL - Gone (never made it?)
Mekhi Metcalf, WR - Transferred out
Treyton Pickering, TE
Malik Putney, S - Never made it
Sherod White, TB - Gone (never made it?)
James Williams, NT - Rumored to be transferring out
Nolan Askelson, LB
*Jory Choate, LB
Mark Estes, WR
Logan Kleinhans, WR
Joe McElroy, OL
Lane Sumner, RB
Kaleb Winterburn, DB
Casey Bauman, QB
Justin Cauley, RB
Ty'Rese Gibson, DB
Ty'Rhae Gibson, DB
Derryk Snell, TE
Ruben Beltran, QB

Transfers:
Tristan Bailey, K
Travis Jonsen, QB
Tyler Natee, RB - Retired for medical reasons
Bryce Sterk, DL
Dante Sparaco - Transferred out
Maleek Barkley - Gone

EDITED - to add Sparaco, Beltran and Barkley
Donnie Long made it to Bozeman for about 2 weeks, got homesick, and left.
HOW does ANYONE get homesick after 2 weeks of ANYTHING! He looked at the place, he saw that he was going to have to work for it...and he couldn't do it. It's as simple as that! HOMESICK???? HOMESICK???? Please... :crazy:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:57 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:44 pm

My understanding is that the second a player puts himself in the portal, he may be at risk for losing his current scholarship. It makes sense as he’s basically saying “sorry coach I’m going to shop around a bit for a better fit.”

This then gives the coach the ability to to say “don’t let the door hit you on the way out”
They lose their scholarship at the end of the term.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 pm

BozoneCat wrote:
Yes, good post! This is a complete mess and the NCAA needs to adjust this. You can't enter a transfer portal at work; it puts "me" over "we."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:46 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:52 pm
91catAlum wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:16 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:13 pm
2018 Recruits:

Blake Allred, FB - Transferred out
Ryan Barkley, OL
Seer Deines, DL
Koby Duru, WR - Transferred out
Greg Filer III, CB
Isaiah Ifanse, RB
Donny Long, OL - Gone (never made it?)
Mekhi Metcalf, WR - Transferred out
Treyton Pickering, TE
Malik Putney, S - Never made it
Sherod White, TB - Gone (never made it?)
James Williams, NT - Rumored to be transferring out
Nolan Askelson, LB
*Jory Choate, LB
Mark Estes, WR
Logan Kleinhans, WR
Joe McElroy, OL
Lane Sumner, RB
Kaleb Winterburn, DB
Casey Bauman, QB
Justin Cauley, RB
Ty'Rese Gibson, DB
Ty'Rhae Gibson, DB
Derryk Snell, TE
Ruben Beltran, QB

Transfers:
Tristan Bailey, K
Travis Jonsen, QB
Tyler Natee, RB - Retired for medical reasons
Bryce Sterk, DL
Dante Sparaco - Transferred out
Maleek Barkley - Gone

EDITED - to add Sparaco, Beltran and Barkley
Donnie Long made it to Bozeman for about 2 weeks, got homesick, and left.
HOW does ANYONE get homesick after 2 weeks of ANYTHING! He looked at the place, he saw that he was going to have to work for it...and he couldn't do it. It's as simple as that! HOMESICK???? HOMESICK???? Please... :crazy:
If memory serves, girlfriend. And you can get homesick after a day soooo.....

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:58 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:40 pm
BozoneCat wrote:
Yes, good post! This is a complete mess and the NCAA needs to adjust this. You can't enter a transfer portal at work; it puts "me" over "we."
Are you suggesting no one ever has a new job lined up before they quit their job?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 am

It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 am

I know it's been hard for his mom and sister to come to games. The cost of flights, hotels and car rental. There's not a doubt, financially, it's been a burden for his family. He loves MSU and Bozeman. And yes, I know this as a fact.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:08 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 am
I know it's been hard for his mom and sister to come to games. The cost of flights, hotels and car rental. There's not a doubt, financially, it's been a burden for his family. He loves MSU and Bozeman. And yes, I know this as a fact.
C’mon PhatCat. We all know you know.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am

PHAT CAT wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:54 am

soooooo, can you confirm if he is leaving or not?

FTG- GO CATS GO!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:17 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:23 am
It's pretty funny reading the comments from the few adamently opposed to the transfer portal for today's kids in the same school discussion board that produced Sam McCullum...you know, the former Minnesota Viking who sued the NFL and opened up the floodgates to free agency for professional player. Free agency didn't hurt the NFL (professional athletes) and it's only going to help NCAA players (amateur athletes who are only compensated by schools that provide Full Cost of Attendance and a measly pitance of a stipend in most Power 5 schools and as far as I know the Dakota schools in FCS).
Totally agree with you! Which in and of itself is remarkable.... :wink:

I get guys are fans of this team. But for the life of me I can't figure out why people don't want players to have as much freedom as the staff gets. Players make the program. If it's not the right fit for them personally they should go somewhere that is. Sure, we'll lose some good ones. But we'll gain some good ones throughout the preocess as well. And for some reason we never seem to bash the kids that COME here from somewhere else....just those that LEAVE for somewhere else. weird.