Cat/Griz Week

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Cat/Griz Week

Post by StatedImprovement » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:58 pm

Be realistic
If the Cats win they'll be in 4th place
If the Cat's lose they'll still be in 4th place...

Where are the Cats sitting Now?
4th place

This game is meaningless....so is the Cat Teams Coach

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:34 pm

FTG

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:19 pm

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:12 pm

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Last year I really enjoyed the Lady Cats win over the Lady Griz. In fact, we dominated.
Then when we went to their place, UM dominated the Lady cats. As we all know, one has
no idea what team is going to show up when the Lady Cats take the court. I think we have
a 55% chance to win this game.

On the other hand, it was rough to watch the Cats losing to the Griz last year on our home court.
Quite a few Griz fans sure enjoyed it, many sitting close to me. Unfortunately I just don't see any
possible way of winning this game. Hard to get excited about going to this game. I know that
upsets are always possible, but the odds are not good. I give us a 15% chance to win.

Cheer them on anyway

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:34 am

We still have not beaten a team with a winning league record, so we belong where we are....maybe even below EWU since they beat us. I don't see us beating anyone that we haven't except maybe NAU at home. That would put us about 5th or 6th.

As far as the ladies, they will probably win this weekend and fail like last year in Missouls. The Lady Griz have not been as tough on Binford as Idaho State....they are her nemesis! Sobelewsky plays a physical game that she has never been able to match except during Ferris' senior year. He recruits it strong women for his team...and it looks like they are on the weights often!

We can play with a team like UNC, but they have trouble with bigger more physical teams like PSU, ISU, especially on the road, and I would expect them to have trouble with Idaho. The Lady Griz beat Idaho with defense and going inside to Henderson.. We may be able to play the inside game but just don't play the kind of defense that is played in Missoula....never have!

2024 Resume dominance

Anacomando
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Anacomando » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:36 am

I think the women win a close game and I think the men are going to be hanging in it until 2nd half. I'm not sure they'll pull out a win, but when they shoot well from 3 then they have a shot. The men's team hasn't had a solid inside presence for a long time. That has continuously hurt them. Go Cats. Prediction: Women: MSU 70 - Griz 64. Men: MSU 66 - Griz 77.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:33 pm

Wow....Lady Cats blow out the Griz by 22. Biggest margin of victory in the series.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:46 pm

wapiti wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am
https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/mont ... -cat-griz/

Coach Fish had this to say about the Cat/griz game:
"It’s just another game in league play."

I know a former football coach got ripped for saying something similar to this.

Is Cat/griz just another league game?
It is true that its just 2 games out of 20, but these games generally have more energy, excitement and much better attendance. And are often televised state wide. These game are more than just another league game, it is a chance for both teams to display themselves to the whole state and what is presented could have an affect on recruiting in-state players. Since there are not many Div 1 basketball recruits in Montana this is important to play well in these games.
Those kinds of things are said by people who clearly never played the game. 8) If you don't see a rivalry game as a rivalry game, you'll likely be on the losing side more than the winning side...and your long term prospects of coaching longterm will be slim to none.

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm

StatedImprovement wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:58 pm
Be realistic

4th place

We lost and fell to 5th place. You may want to work on your math. This game was not meaningless.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 pm
Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 pm
If he really believes it’s just another conference game he doesn’t understand what it means to coach at Montana State.
That comment alone shows why we need a new Coach. How can you recruit in Montana if you don’t understand the importance of this game?
No one has been tougher on Fish than I. That said...in the same way I thought it was taken out of context when Ash said it...I think it's being taken out of context now with Fish.

He knows how much it means to the fans and the state. He said as much. But it's not like if we beat the Griz we automatically get to play in the Dance. We don't get to just jump to the top of the standings regardless of record. In these regards it is in fact just another game.

I don't think for one second that Fish and Ash back in the day didn't understand what this game means to the state of Montana. But until the NCAA starts giving us incentives to win this game; it's 1 of 20 games on our conference schedule.
There's stark differences between Cat-Griz in football and basketball, namely that it's not the last game of the season, you can't salvage a season with a February 2 game like you can when you are 3-7 and you beat the Griz like the Bobcats did in 2016 in football. And you get a rematch. And you could lose to the Griz twice and go 18-2 still, win the league. You lose to the Griz/Bobcats in football, it's almost certain that will impact or negate your ability to win the league.

Here's the full quote for context:

“Sometimes, people say, ‘If you beat the Griz, that’s all that matters’ and that’s not really true,” Fish said. ”It’s one of 20 league games. This is not a weighted math classes where it’s 1.5 credits. It’s one game in league play that is at our place this time. It will mean a lot to the people of the state and it will mean a lot to our program. It means a lot to their people, I’m sure. But we just need to play well and continue get better because 36 hours later, we are at Northern Colorado on the road and that counts the same as this one.”
Thanks for once again being the voice of reason, Colter!

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

wapiti wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:20 pm
StatedImprovement wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:58 pm
Be realistic

4th place

We lost and fell to 5th place. You may want to work on your math. This game was not meaningless.
Actually the Cats dropped down to a tie for 6th, then the Cats knocked off NC and moved all the way up to sitting alone in 5th.