MBB vs Idaho State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Idaho State

Post by wbtfg » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 pm

Counting Cats wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:16 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:15 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm
wbtfg wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am
Domako wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 am
I have said this all year to my friends that we won't be in the top tier of the league until
we play better defense. It is pretty simple to play defensive moneyball. Guard and contest
the 3-pt line, no layups, and no fouling. If someone dribble drives, retreat and square them up.
If they pull up and hit a 2-pt shot from 8 to 20 feet, you just live with that. Help defense only
comes from non 3-pt shooters as the drive and kick out to 3-pt shooters is a main weapon of
most teams today.

It seems like every team we play shoots lights out against us. It just tells me that we are
playing defense wrong. Too many open 3-pointers and way to many uncontested layups.

Just my take...
Agreed.....I've only been able to watch 3-4 games, but I've been struck by how bad we are defensively. We get beat off the dribble, don't have any help at the rim and/or allow wide open 3 pt shots.
I don't understand how we can be so bad. In that article it said if we extrapolated the last 4 games we'd be dead last in the country in fg % defense by 4%. Our on ball defense is awful, guards can take their man without even needing a screen, and like wbtfg there is zero rotation or if it does occur it's very late. It really looks like we're playing in molasses defensively.

From the Chronicle article:

On the season, MSU has allowed opponents to shoot 38 percent from 3 (332nd nationally), 48.8 percent from the field overall (347th nationally) and 57.9 percent (352nd nationally) on 2-pointers.

:shock:
I hadn't ready the article....wow...that's really really bad. Even Jamie Marshall thinks that's bad defense.
:lol:

That's awesome. As long as Fish is here this is the defense we're going to play. Sadly...I'm not even mad anymore. It is what it is.
How much of poor defense in our situation is poor strategy and how much is lack of quickness of the athletes or lack of conditioning?
From the little bit I’ve seen, it’s kind of all of the above. We lack effort, technique and overall commitment and understanding on that side of the ball.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs Idaho State

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:51 pm

To me it always comes down to poor strategy and technique, and desire. Bad athletes can still play decent defense.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast