Cat/Griz Week

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Cat/Griz Week

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:33 am

Women tip off at 2.....guys tangle at 7. Hoping for a sweep!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Re: Cat/Griz Week

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm

I’ll be traveling within the state that day. Will these games be televised like usual?

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 am

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:34 am

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/mont ... -cat-griz/

Coach Fish had this to say about the Cat/griz game:
"It’s just another game in league play."

I know a former football coach got ripped for saying something similar to this.

Is Cat/griz just another league game?
It is true that its just 2 games out of 20, but these games generally have more energy, excitement and much better attendance. And are often televised state wide. These game are more than just another league game, it is a chance for both teams to display themselves to the whole state and what is presented could have an affect on recruiting in-state players. Since there are not many Div 1 basketball recruits in Montana this is important to play well in these games.

Domako
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Domako » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:52 am

Meant more to me when I played and I didn't grow up in Montana. Many of my teammates did though.

Tom Domako

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 pm

If he really believes it’s just another conference game he doesn’t understand what it means to coach at Montana State.
That comment alone shows why we need a new Coach. How can you recruit in Montana if you don’t understand the importance of this game?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 pm
How can you recruit in Montana if you don’t understand the importance of this game?
Recruit Montana??? Why would we want to do a silly thing like that.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
If he really believes it’s just another conference game he doesn’t understand what it means to coach at Montana State.
That comment alone shows why we need a new Coach. How can you recruit in Montana if you don’t understand the importance of this game?
No one has been tougher on Fish than I. That said...in the same way I thought it was taken out of context when Ash said it...I think it's being taken out of context now with Fish.

He knows how much it means to the fans and the state. He said as much. But it's not like if we beat the Griz we automatically get to play in the Dance. We don't get to just jump to the top of the standings regardless of record. In these regards it is in fact just another game.

I don't think for one second that Fish and Ash back in the day didn't understand what this game means to the state of Montana. But until the NCAA starts giving us incentives to win this game; it's 1 of 20 games on our conference schedule.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:43 pm

It’s about Pride! It’s a rivalry game! It’s our Michigan vs Michigan State, Duke vs Carolina, Florida Vs Florida State!
I look at success for this season as the following:
1) Beat Montana
2) Win Conference
3) Win the Conference Tournament
4) Represent the BSC well in the NCAA’s.

If you don’t achieve 2-4, you sure as hell better beat Montana!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:59 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:43 pm
It’s about Pride! It’s a rivalry game! It’s our Michigan vs Michigan State, Duke vs Carolina, Florida Vs Florida State!
1) Beat Montana
2) Win Conference

Is that your actual order of what you'd like to see? Mine would be the exact OPPOSITE of that if I got to choose...

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:07 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:59 pm
Ilikecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:43 pm
1) Beat Montana
2) Win Conference

Is that your actual order of what you'd like to see? Mine would be the exact OPPOSITE of that if I got to choose...
Ditto that!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:29 pm
Ilikecats wrote:
No one has been tougher on Fish than I. That said...in the same way I thought it was taken out of context when Ash said it...I think it's being taken out of context now with Fish.

He knows how much it means to the fans and the state. He said as much. But it's not like if we beat the Griz we automatically get to play in the Dance. We don't get to just jump to the top of the standings regardless of record. In these regards it is in fact just another game.

I don't think for one second that Fish and Ash back in the day didn't understand what this game means to the state of Montana. But until the NCAA starts giving us incentives to win this game; it's 1 of 20 games on our conference schedule.
There's stark differences between Cat-Griz in football and basketball, namely that it's not the last game of the season, you can't salvage a season with a February 2 game like you can when you are 3-7 and you beat the Griz like the Bobcats did in 2016 in football. And you get a rematch. And you could lose to the Griz twice and go 18-2 still, win the league. You lose to the Griz/Bobcats in football, it's almost certain that will impact or negate your ability to win the league.

Here's the full quote for context:

“Sometimes, people say, ‘If you beat the Griz, that’s all that matters’ and that’s not really true,” Fish said. ”It’s one of 20 league games. This is not a weighted math classes where it’s 1.5 credits. It’s one game in league play that is at our place this time. It will mean a lot to the people of the state and it will mean a lot to our program. It means a lot to their people, I’m sure. But we just need to play well and continue get better because 36 hours later, we are at Northern Colorado on the road and that counts the same as this one.”

desmond1957

Post by desmond1957 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:33 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
I would suggest that you read the whole damn quote before you get too riled up . This board takes more stuff out of context to make a point than the fake news networks.

Anacomando

Post by Anacomando » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:08 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

There's stark differences between Cat-Griz in football and basketball, namely that it's not the last game of the season, you can't salvage a season with a February 2 game like you can when you are 3-7 and you beat the Griz like the Bobcats did in 2016 in football. And you get a rematch. And you could lose to the Griz twice and go 18-2 still, win the league. You lose to the Griz/Bobcats in football, it's almost certain that will impact or negate your ability to win the league.

“Sometimes, people say, ‘If you beat the Griz, that’s all that matters’ and that’s not really true,” Fish said. ”It’s one of 20 league games. This is not a weighted math classes where it’s 1.5 credits. It’s one game in league play that is at our place this time. It will mean a lot to the people of the state and it will mean a lot to our program. It means a lot to their people, I’m sure. But we just need to play well and continue get better because 36 hours later, we are at Northern Colorado on the road and that counts the same as this one.”
Yep, right on Colter! Basketball plays about three times as many games as football. Fish gets the game and the players do too. I'd like more Montana kids, but Montana kids have to go earn those basketball scholarships too. It should be a great weekend for some good games. Go Cats!

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:51 am

ilovethecats wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:10 pm
I’ll be traveling within the state that day. Will these games be televised like usual?
On MSU's website it says the men's game is on SWX, but it looks like the women's game is on Pluto only. Does anyone know if that's actually correct? I would have thought that SWX would carry the women's game too.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:58 pm
ilovethecats wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

Totally true.

We've had seasons where we've played the Griz three times in the same season in hoops. In many ways it's just another game.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am

For those who feel the Cat/Griz game “It’s just another game in league play." does not understand Bobcat sports! You might want to give Mr. Rob Ash a call and discuss the matter with him! #-o #-o #-o #-o

Man not the way to start your day!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,) ](*,)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:38 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am
For those who feel the Cat/Griz game “It’s just another game in league play." does not understand Bobcat sports! You might want to give Mr. Rob Ash a call and discuss the matter with him! #-o #-o #-o #-o

I think the results in the "rivalry" in recent years kinda speak for themselves... :coffee:

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:41 am

mslacat wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:08 am

Again, it's all about context MC. You're far too rational to get worked up in this debate. This game has a little extra for sure. It means a lot to the coaches and players but especially the fans. As Colter pointed out, Cat/griz hoops is nothing like Cat/griz football for several reasons.

This game is so much more in football because it often has much bigger implications. Beating the griz Saturday would be awesome. I like nothing better than to beat them in everything. It's great for the program and I imagine if we could ever do it with some consistency it would help recruiting. It's a big game because it's early in the conference season and we're only a few games back.

But it does nothing more in regards to standings and later on seeding in the conference tourney to win this game more than any other game. That is just fact. Taking the emotion away from it, this is 1 conference game of 20.

And I definitely understand Bobcat sports....

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:46 pm

To the actual game, I think the women win and the men go down.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast