Tragedy in Griz nation

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Tragedy in Griz nation

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:11 am

Life should never be taken so early. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Tragedy in Griz nation

Post by 84CatGrad » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:12 am

A terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to the young man's family, friends and to all of Griz Nation.

FTG247365

Post by FTG247365 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:18 am

Sad News, prayers and thoughts for the Harris Family.

Camo_Cat

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:19 am

Things like this really put stuff into perspective. The business of playing football and rivalries become trivial. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends, and his Griz teammates and coaches. It seems no one is immune to depression and its devastating consequences.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am

Three years ago to the day that Manny Kalfell took his life. Gut wrenching on both sides of the Great Divide. There really are no words for tragedy like this.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am
Three years ago to the day that Manny Kalfell took his life. Gut wrenching on both sides of the Great Divide. There really are no words for tragedy like this.
Dang that’s eye opening. Thank you for the sympathy here. Definitely puts things in perspective.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:28 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 am
Dang that’s eye opening. Thank you for the sympathy here. Definitely puts things in perspective.
Sad that is always takes something as horrible as this for some fans to have that perspective. It's just a game. played by kids.

The next time you have the urge to bash these guys for not playing a game up to your standard...remember that they are dealing with things far far bigger than what happens between the endzones.

Can't imagine what this family is going through right now. Just terrible.

Champagne and Lutefisk
New Recruit

Post by Champagne and Lutefisk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 pm

Just a couple days after Tyler Hilinski killed himself at WSU a year ago (Jan 16th)

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:50 pm

Terrible news :(

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Original report about Andrew.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 459c7.html
MISSOULA — A University of Montana Grizzly football player and graduate of Kalispell Glacier High School was found dead in his Missoula home Tuesday in what police believe to be a suicide.

Andrew Harris' death was confirmed by the Missoula County Sheriff's Office. Missoula Police Sgt. Travis Welsh said police are investigating the scene as a suicide. He was 22.

Harris was coming off his redshirt junior season and had played in 11 total games at Montana. He had moved to the defensive line for the 2018 season, playing in eight games and finishing the season with one tackle and 1/2 a sack.

Harris was a first-team all-state player and captain for the undefeated Class AA state champion Glacier Wolfpack football team in 2014. He played for former Griz quarterback Grady Bennett at Glacier.

His father, Greg Harris, played for UM from 1971-1975. His brother Josh was a defensive end for the Griz from 2008-2012.

Harris was a business management major at the university.

The University of Montana issued the following statement Tuesday evening:

The University of Montana is deeply saddened to learn of the loss of one its students, Andrew Harris. Harris was a senior majoring in business management from Kalispell, Mont. He graduated in 2015 from Glacier High School and was a member of the Grizzly football team.

“We extend our deepest sympathies to Andrew’s family and friends at this difficult time,” UM President Seth Bodnar said in a statement to the Missoulian. “The entire UM family mourns his loss and our hearts go out to all who knew him.”

Grizzly Athletics Director Kent Haslam indicated that Harris’ teammates, other student-athletes, coaches and staff were notified earlier today. Counselors will be available for any member of the University community — students, faculty or staff — who needs support.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:09 am

Truly gut-wrenching. I feel terrible for his family.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Truly heart breaking. I can't imagine the pain the family is feeling. My thoughts and prayers are with the family and Griz nation.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:38 pm

Such a good lookin kid with his whole life a head of him. The pain in his heart, makes me sad. May peace be with you. You left behind a lot of people, who truly loved you.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm

We tried our best to talk about a complicated, sensitive and important topic on Tootell and Nuanez on Wednesday.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm
We tried our best to talk about a complicated, sensitive and important topic on Tootell and Nuanez on Wednesday.

I applaud your stepping into the murky waters of a deeply emotional and troubling crisis that is afflicting so many in our state, nation and world today! =D^

Obviously, this is so multifaceted that it is likely best to leave the experts to the real uprooting of cause etc....but one aspect that I don't believe I heard touched on is the very nature of football/team sports etc.

I know I run at the windmill here and risk meddling with one of our idols when I say this, but as powerful a tool that football and team sports can be, for camaraderie, discipline, suffering, working for a common goal etc. etc. etc., there is another darker aspect of it that runs deep inside the soul of the sport.

It's perform or sit!

It's only the best will see the field!

It's a "depth chart" mentality! Are you 1, 2, 3 or irrelevant?

Football, college football in particular puts a tremendous amount of pressure of these young men to perform for not only the scholarship, for the team, for themselves...but dare we say it, for parents expectations, family histories, for hope for future....that for some who don't maybe shine the brightest on the field, the pressures can become so profound that rather than inspire greater efforts to achieve outwardly, they begin to facilitate downward and inward collapse.

Some may manifest it in "off field" episodes that we chalk up to "boys will be boys" at this age! Some may manifest it in an inability to perform in the classroom because all efforts are directed to shining on the field. But for some, it may simply become the last straw of a darker weight of "not measuring up". And, once that weight settles in...

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:37 pm
Colter_Nuanez wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm

I applaud your stepping into the murky waters of a deeply emotional and troubling crisis that is afflicting so many in our state, nation and world today! =D^

Obviously, this is so multifaceted that it is likely best to leave the experts to the real uprooting of cause etc....but one aspect that I don't believe I heard touched on is the very nature of football/team sports etc.

I know I run at the windmill here and risk meddling with one of our idols when I say this, but as powerful a tool that football and team sports can be, for camaraderie, discipline, suffering, working for a common goal etc. etc. etc., there is another darker aspect of it that runs deep inside the soul of the sport.

It's perform or sit!

It's only the best will see the field!

It's a "depth chart" mentality! Are you 1, 2, 3 or irrelevant?

Football, college football in particular puts a tremendous amount of pressure of these young men to perform for not only the scholarship, for the team, for themselves...but dare we say it, for parents expectations, family histories, for hope for future....that for some who don't maybe shine the brightest on the field, the pressures can become so profound that rather than inspire greater efforts to achieve outwardly, they begin to facilitate downward and inward collapse.

Some may manifest it in "off field" episodes that we chalk up to "boys will be boys" at this age! Some may manifest it in an inability to perform in the classroom because all efforts are directed to shining on the field. But for some, it may simply become the last straw of a darker weight of "not measuring up". And, once that weight settles in...
Unfortunately, I believe you are 100% correct.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.