Patriots Coaching

The place for news, information and discussion about anything related to pro sports.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Patriots Coaching

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Watching Brady dissect the Chiefs so so Defense is amazing. Dude understands every alignment and implication for each play and player. Teams are analyzed and systematically dismantled at every level by this teams staff and players. They don’t dominate you like teams like NDSU do, by grinding you to a pulp. They learn you, they expose you and use every opportunity to suck the life out of you. It’s amazing. Brady just threw a pick, first in 200 plus attempts. Did I mention they rarely make mistakes? It’s a club and organization that appears to be a good model to replicate.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Re: Patriots Coaching

Post by RickRund » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

Yes, pretty unbelievable...

And I have a question on that roughing the passer at about the 7:00 mark... Didn't get it. Was it a hands to the face?.. I didn't think it was a completed pass at about the 5:00 mark. And the muff call was a tough call...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:26 am

RickRund wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

And I have a question on that roughing the passer at about the 7:00 mark... Didn't get it. Was it a hands to the face?.. I didn't think it was a completed pass at about the 5:00 mark. And the muff call was a tough call...
If I'm thinking of the same plays you're talking about, I think they actually got the replays right. The roughing the passer call was ridiculous, especially because the guy threw the flag from behind Brady. I hate when officials in any sport make a bold call when they're out of position.

Changing the subject a little bit, I was impressed with Tony Romo--he called almost every play on that last drive by the Patriots. He's fun to listen to.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:35 pm

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:26 am
RickRund wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:28 pm

If I'm thinking of the same plays you're talking about, I think they actually got the replays right. The roughing the passer call was ridiculous, especially because the guy threw the flag from behind Brady. I hate when officials in any sport make a bold call when they're out of position.

Changing the subject a little bit, I was impressed with Tony Romo--he called almost every play on that last drive by the Patriots. He's fun to listen to.
Thanks....

Yes, Romo is really fun to listen to. Reminds me a lot of Eric Byrnes from MLB Network. VERY enthusiastic.

Hearing many saying the Rams don't belong in the playoffs due to the calls. I might agree if those calls would have happened on touchdowns.

RAM fan here, since 1953, and I really don't like going up against Coach B... He is cagey!

msubobcats@outlook.com

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:43 am

Funny think about officiating, rarely do calls or no calls make a game. This no call is certainly a head scratcher as to how it was missed and it had an impact on the game. The crew also missed a face mask and undoubtedly several other plays that could have changed the flow of the game. No missed call on the pick in OT which ultimately decided the game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:33 am

I will add that one might argue that a call may have changed the outcome if it occurred on a score. But other than that to me the argument is meh.

msubobcats@outlook.com

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:18 pm

As a longtime suffering Lion fans I've learned that you can't count on the refs to make the right calls. Coach Caldwell's stance was to always have more points than the opponent so you wouldn't have to worry about it.

The one call that chaps my a#$ is when they were playing the Cowboys in Dallas a few years ago. Lions had the lead and were driving. Ref throws a defensive PI call, announces the call and marks it off. Then the ref picks the flag up and put the ball back to the original line of scrimmage. That changed the flow of the game and the Lions ended up losing. It was obvious PI too. Ugh!

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Like Rick, I"m also a lifelong diehard Rams fan, dating back to the 70's with guys like Jack Youngblood, Fred Dryer, Lawrence McCutheon, Harold Jackson, etc. I"m ecstatic to see them back in the Super Bowl for the first time in almost 20 years, but I don't know how you can't say that it's a bit tainted. I mean even though it wasn't a scoring play, that missed PI almost certainly made the difference in the outcome of the game. Now that being said, I believe the Rams were the better team and deserved to win the game. After digging themselves that early 13-0 hole, they clearly outplayed NO for the last 3 quarters of the game, and ended up outgaining them by about 100 total yards. It was huge that they held the Saints to FG on those first 2 possessions when they were deep in LA territory both times. A 13-0 deficit was bad enough, but if it had been 21-0, that probably would have been game over. It is what it is, and I've never been one to bitch much about officiating, even when I've been on the wrong side of a bad call(or non-call as in this case), but I'd be pretty damn pissed off if I was a NO fan. The really aggravating part about that play, is that if the DB had simply made a play on the ball, he was in a great position to at least break up the pass, and maybe even get an INT. Playing the receiver rather than playing the ball as he did was a really bone headed play, and it should have cost the Rams the game. And how clutch is Greg Z (the kicker)? A 48 yarder to send it to OT, and a 57 yarder to win it, that would have probably been good from 65. People are pretty quick to pile on kickers when they miss a kick in a situation like that, but far less eager to give them credit when they come through as the Z-man did last Sunday.