WBB vs EWU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs EWU

Post by technoCat » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Lose by 2. I don't know how you continually let a player dribble right down under the basket for an easy put up. Did it like 4 times in OT...

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: WBB vs EWU

Post by KittieKop » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:06 pm
Lose by 2. I don't know how you continually let a player dribble right down under the basket for an easy put up. Did it like 4 times in OT...
What ended up the winning points, they let her literally run the length of the floor for a lay up, right after taking the lead back. Not a good look today on defense.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Not only that, they had about a 10 point lead with a few minutes to go! Terrible defensive effort, being matched by the men's team. EWU can't miss!

2024 Resume dominance

bobcat2651
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcat2651 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:43 pm

u have the lead with two fouls to give-foul and take time off the clock

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:46 pm

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:59 am

Team does not look cohesive at all. I was impressed with Halle Wright's effort down the stretch. It's often hard for a freshman to take control like that with older players on the court, but she just got that "I’m not going to let them win look" on her face — and it almost worked.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am

Binford has to get this team focused on defense and set the tone that if you don’t play defense you don’t get on the court. Crazy that players seem to have their career highs against the Bobcats. Number 12 from EWU was dropping 3’s like no one was covering her! That’s because she was wide open. The sad part is we never adjusted and seemed surprised that she would be taking the last shot in regulation?

Lundberg is an offensive wizard, problem is her defense is very poor! Happy to see Martell back on the court, but if she can’t play defense, she shouldn’t be out there. End of the day, what are our assistant coaches doing? I officially agree, we’re missing Coach Harris!

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Ilikecats wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am
Binford has to get this team focused on defense and set the tone that if you don’t play defense you don’t get on the court. Crazy that players seem to have their career highs against the Bobcats. Number 12 from EWU was dropping 3’s like no one was covering her! That’s because she was wide open. The sad part is we never adjusted and seemed surprised that she would be taking the last shot in regulation?

Lundberg is an offensive wizard, problem is her defense is very poor! Happy to see Martell back on the court, but if she can’t play defense, she shouldn’t be out there. End of the day, what are our assistant coaches doing? I officially agree, we’re missing Coach Harris!
It seems that they also need to practice stopping the ball. It seemed like EWU dribbled the ball full court for a layup time after time and our players stood aside and watched them.

2024 Resume dominance

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Ilikecats wrote:

I have watched (streaming) many of the women’s games this year and am not all that knowledgeable on the intricacies of the game. I am, however, impressed with Hilborne’s hustle & athleticism but she seems to be losing playing time with the come backs of Martel & Van Sickle. Is it fair to say that she is the opposite of Martel, no offense but great defense?

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 pm

I think we need to focus on solid defense. Moochi and Hilborn bring a sense of toughness that’s needed. I think you can play Martell and Van Sickle...... but it’s got to be with offense and defense intensity! EWU scored 33 points in that 4th quarter, but it was Lundberg that was getting torched! I don’t have the answer, but I know what we’re doing isn’t working! I might’ve tried letting Smith or Braxton use their length to cover EWU’s shooter. I still think we can play them both at the same time. Lundberg needs to get the message that the team needs her to play defense.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:17 pm
Ilikecats wrote:

I have watched (streaming) many of the women’s games this year and am not all that knowledgeable on the intricacies of the game. I am, however, impressed with Hilborne’s hustle & athleticism but she seems to be losing playing time with the come backs of Martel & Van Sickle. Is it fair to say that she is the opposite of Martel, no offense but great defense?
I watched Kamden Hilborn play high school basketball for three years. Great athlete, and great athletes are always great defender if they have desire, which she does. Great ball handler and leader. Her bugaboo has always been shooting. I’m not sure why, but it could be she’s too intense and doesn’t relax her shoulders. Whenever she was in a big game, however, she usually shot very well.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

I watched Kamden Hilborn play high school basketball for three years. Great athlete, and great athletes are always great defender if they have desire, which she does. Great ball handler and leader. Her bugaboo has always been shooting. I’m not sure why, but it could be she’s too intense and doesn’t relax her shoulders. Whenever she was in a big game, however, she usually shot very well.
I always found that coaching defense was harder than offense. A lot (not all) kids enjoy seeing the ball go through the hoop, the other players recognizing them and the "hilight reels" always show the monster dunk or the great shot. It is special when you get a kid who just loves playing defense and has that toughness and tenacity to say "you ain't getting by me". These kids are underrated in my opinion.... you sometimes even hear the fans complain why they are even on the floor... their contributions often go unnoticed in the box scores. Kinda like a great assist leader like Hannah Caudill... tremendously underrated in my opinion.

But I notice Kamden and I love the energy, hustle and defense she brings to the floor.... just looking for her to continue to grow over the next few years.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:35 am

BobcatDel wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:24 am
TomCat88 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 pm
arvcat2 wrote:
Ilikecats wrote:

I always found that coaching defense was harder than offense. A lot (not all) kids enjoy seeing the ball go through the hoop, the other players recognizing them and the "hilight reels" always show the monster dunk or the great shot. It is special when you get a kid who just loves playing defense and has that toughness and tenacity to say "you ain't getting by me". These kids are underrated in my opinion.... you sometimes even hear the fans complain why they are even on the floor... their contributions often go unnoticed in the box scores. Kinda like a great assist leader like Hannah Caudill... tremendously underrated in my opinion.

But I notice Kamden and I love the energy, hustle and defense she brings to the floor.... just looking for her to continue to grow over the next few years.
As an example of what I am talking about, coach mentioned that we had stops on about 75% of EW possessions in the 1st half but in the second half (and in particular the 4th Q) we had stops on less than 30% of EW possessions. Just a stop or two by Kamden playing defense would have won that game or maybe she would have been able to slow their momentum swing.... but her effort would have never hit the box scores and all the plaudits would be going to the double digit scorers who led the team to victory. Its a team game and all facets contribute to being a champion.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:14 am

In my opinion that’s the best post of the year! Defense doesn’t seem to matter anymore in College Basketball.
The Cats give away to many wins due to poor defense. We focus on shooting the three, but no intensity on covering the opponents 3 point shooter. Need to have one of those come to Jesus practices where you cover the rim and it’s all about defense. Guess who won player of the week in the Big Sky! Always helps to play the Bobcats!

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:04 am

As I watched the game, and since we've been giving up so many threes to the players we know are going to shoot it, I spent a fair amount of time watching the arc. A good number of our three-point "closeouts" were pretty weak. Straying too far. Moving toward a relatively short shooter with hands down. Hands not up in the zone. Pretty basic stuff that can be corrected to stop creating player's of the week for our opponents.

Is Kamden injured, or just moved to third on the depth chart? She definitely brings something extra. Shooting can get better, and she'll be a star.

It's interesting to go to the Live Stats and look at the +/- figures.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am

Binford and Claire Lundberg talk quite a bit about this game here: