What’s in store for 2019

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

What’s in store for 2019

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 am

1) transfer breaks through in spring.
2) Andersen is first team RB and LB.
3) QB throws for 2,000 yards with 140+ QB rating.
4) defense is no. 1 in league.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: What’s in store for 2019

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 am

iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 am
1) IF we get a transfer I suspect there will be a pretty good chance he will be the starter. The way Choate talks about the QB's on the roster currently tells me IF we get a transfer he'll be someone who will have a high likelihood of making an impact immediately. That along with the possibility of CM being on the roster in the fall tells me the staff will be very selective in brining on a transfer QB, which could mean we don't even get one.
2) I don't think TA will be 1st Team BSC on both sides of the ball because he simply won't get enough snaps (likely on offense). However, wherever TA gets the majority of snaps (likely at LB) I think he will be 1st Team again.
3) 2000 yards I think will easily happen if you include the 4 non-conference games along with (hopefully) playoff game/s. 2000 yards in our 8 conference games...hhhmmmmm????....with Choate's desire to run the ball I'll say NO. QB rating above 140......possibly?????
4) With a new DC I think WSU will still be the best in the BSC, but I could see us ending the season at #2.

Some prognostication of mine for 2019....
1) A seed in post season
2) A comparable defense to what WSU had this year but with a much better offense
3) Choate extends his win streak over um with a blowout
4) At least a share of the BSC championship

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:46 am

If a transfer is not already in enrolled at MSU, I don't see how he could participate in Spring Ball.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 am
iaafan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 am
1) IF we get a transfer I suspect there will be a pretty good chance he will be the starter. The way Choate talks about the QB's on the roster currently tells me IF we get a transfer he'll be someone who will have a high likelihood of making an impact immediately. That along with the possibility of CM being on the roster in the fall tells me the staff will be very selective in brining on a transfer QB, which could mean we don't even get one.
2) I don't think TA will be 1st Team BSC on both sides of the ball because he simply won't get enough snaps (likely on offense). However, wherever TA gets the majority of snaps (likely at LB) I think he will be 1st Team again.
3) 2000 yards I think will easily happen if you include the 4 non-conference games along with (hopefully) playoff game/s. 2000 yards in our 8 conference games...hhhmmmmm????....with Choate's desire to run the ball I'll say NO. QB rating above 140......possibly?????
4) With a new DC I think WSU will still be the best in the BSC, but I could see us ending the season at #2.

Some prognostication of mine for 2019....
1) A seed in post season
2) A comparable defense to what WSU had this year but with a much better offense
3) Choate extends his win streak over um with a blowout
4) At least a share of the BSC championship
He didn't necessarily say it would be a transfer QB. I don't know what transfers are enrolled right now at other positions. Flovin? Amandre Williams? I'd guess those are the only ones with a chance to break through in the spring.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:20 am

Thanks Kenneth. I’m talking about the JC and UW guys. They could both break the starting line up. If so look for Andersen at DE on passing downs.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am

Will TA compete for the QB job? If so, he may be our qb again. He was 1st team all conference at the positon. I'm not sure Coach Choate has definitively eliminated Troy from being our QB.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am

Mtcatfan wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am
Will TA compete for the QB job? If so, he may be our qb again. He was 1st team all conference at the positon. I'm not sure Coach Choate has definitively eliminated Troy from being our QB.

It's safe to say, from all the evidence that Coach has shared about his direction for Troy and the QB position, next year we'd only see TA at full time QB unless the entire QB room ran off the rails and he was our only option ala. this year. Troy will get his touches on offence from the QB position, RB, or hybrid, but he will also play defense.

We have several QB's who are more than serviceable, and will operate a different style of offense from what we lived through this year. Troy was great, but he will not be our QB...unless the wheels fall off...again.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 pm

Thanks 76. That's good to hear.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am
Mtcatfan wrote:

It's safe to say, from all the evidence that Coach has shared about his direction for Troy and the QB position, next year we'd only see TA at full time QB unless the entire QB room ran off the rails and he was our only option ala. this year. Troy will get his touches on offence from the QB position, RB, or hybrid, but he will also play defense.

We have several QB's who are more than serviceable, and will operate a different style of offense from what we lived through this year. Troy was great, but he will not be our QB...unless the wheels fall off...again.
I don’t think any of the QBs can be described as more than serviceable at this point. I would say serviceable.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Choate hasn’t eliminated it, in fact I think Choate would love to have Troy commit full time to qb. That said, it’s my thought that Troy has eliminated it and doesn’t want to play qb.

I could be wrong though.

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:44 am

wbtfg wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:58 pm
Mtcatfan wrote:
Choate hasn’t eliminated it, in fact I think Choate would love to have Troy commit full time to qb. That said, it’s my thought that Troy has eliminated it and doesn’t want to play qb.

I could be wrong though.
You may be right RE: Choate would he happy with Troy committing to QB, but both Troy and Choate know there is zero personal upside for Troy going that direction, particularly because Troy is one of the few FCS players who has a legitimate shot to play on Sunday's at a different position. Troy will want to nurture that opportunity and Choate will certainly help and support him in that pursuit.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm

If Andersen is talented enough to get an NFL look, he'll get a look regardless of the position he's playing. He's made enough noise as a QB to get attention, but obviously wouldn't go as a QB. Look at the MSU guys who have had try outs or have stuck. Most have not gone on in their college positions. Granted Andersen's future would likely be on defense, and would help if he's at least playing that side of the ball in college. But with his talent, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he could get a look as an offensive player (RB) either.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:32 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:01 pm
If Andersen is talented enough to get an NFL look, he'll get a look regardless of the position he's playing. He's made enough noise as a QB to get attention, but obviously wouldn't go as a QB. Look at the MSU guys who have had try outs or have stuck. Most have not gone on in their college positions. Granted Andersen's future would likely be on defense, and would help if he's at least playing that side of the ball in college. But with his talent, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility he could get a look as an offensive player (RB) either.
I think thats a massive stretch. Andersen is immensely talented and a superb athlete but no way he gets looked at for a position he doesn't play full time. I could see a different lb position than he played but its not like teams are going to take a guy that played qb and say, "man i bet he'd make a safety, lets waste a pick on him". He needs to play lb with some rb thrown in for good measure so he can get some film for NFL scouts to see (if thats what he chooses to do after graduation)

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 am

Regardless of who ends up getting the starting QB job I hope to see Jonsen or Murray under center with Ifanse, Jones and Andersen lined up in the backfield at least a few times a game. That combination of skills is just an absolute freak show.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:32 am
Regardless of who ends up getting the starting QB job I hope to see Jonsen or Murray under center with Ifanse, Jones and Andersen lined up in the backfield at least a few times a game. That combination of skills is just an absolute freak show.
I'm thinking we will!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:40 am
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm thinking we will!
Why do you keep bringing up Jonsen at QB? Won't happen. Would be awesome to have them all in backfield, not at QB, and really mess with the defense with misdirection plays that can be a RPO. Speed and rushing abilities will crush the defense if we have an actual QB that is a legitimate passer. I'd expect it to be Bauman or Beltran.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 am

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:30 am
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm thinking we will!
Why do you keep bringing up Jonsen at QB? Won't happen. Would be awesome to have them all in backfield, not at QB, and really mess with the defense with misdirection plays that can be a RPO. Speed and rushing abilities will crush the defense if we have an actual QB that is a legitimate passer. I'd expect it to be Bauman or Beltran.
I think Jonsen is absolutely fantastic in that set a few times a game. Neither Rovig nor Bauman can run plays out of that formation as well as Jonsen or Murray.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:44 am
Montanabob wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm thinking we will!
I think Jonsen is absolutely fantastic in that set a few times a game. Neither Rovig nor Bauman can run plays out of that formation as well as Jonsen or Murray.

+1

Montanabob- did you not watch any games the 2nd half of the year?! Jonsen was damn near unstoppable the couple plays each game he was taking the snap... it would be stupid to NOT keep that in the playbook.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm thinking we will!

+1

Montanabob- did you not watch any games the 2nd half of the year?! Jonsen was damn near unstoppable the couple plays each game he was taking the snap... it would be stupid to NOT keep that in the playbook.
One final comment. He didn't win the starting spot and Anderson runs as well as him.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:55 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:26 pm
mslacatfan wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:01 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
I'm thinking we will!

+1

One final comment. He didn't win the starting spot and Anderson runs as well as him.
Andersen and Jonsen are have 2 completely different running styles, not sure why you're trying to compare them.

I agree with Tom having Andersen, Murray, ifanse and Jonsen in a diamond formation would be scary for opposing defenses