MBB vs. No Colo

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: MBB vs. No Colo

Post by Helcat72 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Just not good enough!

2024 Resume dominance

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:43 pm

Defensively, we have mixed and matched all half and not solved them. 4 guards and the zone not working either, in that we're getting killed on the boards. Didn't really have the second scorer step up tonight. Still fighting, though, and still in it. Kirby with a nice second half.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 pm

Lost to a good UNC team. Say what you will about this team but they do not give up, they do not quit. Down 8 several times under 5 minutes left and came back to tie it late. Looks like Hall will break the record on the rod in Cheney......bummer.

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Lost to a good UNC team. Say what you will about this team but they do not give up, they do not quit. Down 8 several times under 5 minutes left and came back to tie it late. Looks like Hall will break the record on the rod in Cheney......bummer.
Good fight in this team to the end....let's go get a W in Cheney!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm

Tough loss. Overall I thought we took care of the ball. Looked pretty good offensively. Obviously missed some big free throws. The biggest thing is I think we gave up too many easy layups from penetration. Even still, just needed a couple more bucket to fall.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:29 pm

UNC played on Saturday, then had to travel all the way up here, and they looked like the fresher team. Got off to an absolutely horrendous start. Then it was play catch up all game. Whenever we did catch up, they would go off on a 10-0 run. Really frustrating. Shots would roll off instead of roll in. Didn't get anything out of the point guards where we've been making hay lately. Got out rebounded-by a team that isn't very good at rebounding. That was frustrating. UNC missed enough threes for us to beat them-but we just didn't have it offensively tonight. It was all about that bad start.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:49 pm

phantom
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by phantom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am

My glass half full take on the game is this: Bobcats didn't play very well and lost by 3. Frey and Blevins had tough nights, going 7 for 25 and we lost by 3. Team fought until the end and will continue to compete. I thought Fish coached a good game. He didn't panic when they were down and still substituted 5 for 5 in the first half, a move that paid off.
My glass half empty take: Disappointing to have a chance to take the conference lead, at home and not win a game that I think the Bobcats would win. For the love of all that is holy, can someone contain the dribble?!?!? Too many breakdowns on offense and defense in an early conference season big game.
My practical side says it was the first "big" game this team has played in and, while they came out tight (too amped?), they scratched and clawed until the end. This game should help them as they move forward. From watching it online (Pluto app feed kept cutting out at the most inopportune times), it seemed like it was a great environment. Whether the Bobcats won or lost last night, the important thing is to come out and play well on Saturday. Go Bobcats!

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 am

Agree with both takes here actually. The way we played was frustrating, with a chance to take charge in the league. But that's a good team, and we should have beaten them, really, even with 2 of our top 3 offensive players looking as bad as they could look. I'd like to think, but time will tell, that this team is a little deeper than past teams, and that our level of play won't fall off as much later in the season [-o<

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 am

I've never seen so many wide open lay-ups in my life... not sure why the cats couldn't make an adjustment to stop that...

anyway, definitely had their chances to win. I applaud the team for not giving up and fighting until the last second.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:38 pm

This reminded me of the game we won on the road in Idaho. We took the early lead, they would claw back and then we responded with a couple three buckets to get back in control. Unfortunately, we were the home team that came out flat, and ended up losing a close one. I saw a couple instances where we just didn't seem to really want that loose ball. Not sure what to make of that. Shoulda Woulda Coulda: Tyler hits another two threes, we win and celebrate times 3. Im glad he didn't hit 27, it would have been awkward to celebrate his record with a loss. We learn more from a loss, so hopefully it will help us prepare for Eastern WA, who will be wanting some fresh blood.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Was frustrating to see us lose this game to a team that just got thrashed by the Griz. I'm going to assume we'll end up 5th or 6th in the league and hopefully squeak into the tournament. IF we do better than that it will be a nice surprise, but if we're that or worse I won't be surprised.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:03 pm

catatac wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm
Was frustrating to see us lose this game to a team that just got thrashed by the Griz. I'm going to assume we'll end up 5th or 6th in the league and hopefully squeak into the tournament. IF we do better than that it will be a nice surprise, but if we're that or worse I won't be surprised.
No need to squeak into the tournament now that all teams get to go...the question is if they can finish in a Top 5 spot and get a bye through to the quarterfinal round.

It's rather pointless to get to wrapped up in game-by-game comparisons like how the Griz beat UNC and then UNC beat MSU. Unexpected things always happen, like how Weber's only loss is at home to Southern Utah and UM lost at home to Portland State after MSU had easily defeated PSU two nights earlier.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm

Couln't stop Davis' penetration all night. Tried everything but he got layups consistently. Their big men were a lot stronger than Kirby (although I'm impressed with his play generally). They pushed him around inside when he was on defense and easily bodied him out of the way for rebounds. Sam provided some strength inside but fell short on hops! Their big men were really mobile and good jumpers. It's true that we needed one more scorer to have a good game. Their guards were pretty good defensively. It would be nice if Ricketts could develop a driving game, or create his own shot so he would be harder to guard, but he is definitely catch and shoot and nothing more!

2024 Resume dominance

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by msu_agfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:16 pm

I thought we did stop Davis quite a few times on his drives. in fact, it was almost embarrassing how he was blocked a few times. maybe it was just that he also had so many successful attempts that they are overlooked.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm

phantom wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am
From watching it online (Pluto app feed kept cutting out at the most inopportune times), it seemed like it was a great environment.
The folks that were there sure brought it, but it is highly disappointing that 2700 was the announced attendance. Tyler Hall had a chance at the record, MSU was on a three game winning streak, MSU was tied for the league lead and playing the team they were tied with, UNC has the conference's leading scorer.

It was a Monday night. I get that. But people just don't go the basketball games here like they used to. Students were back, but their numbers were extremely small.

If the weather holds we're going to drive over to Cheney on Saturday to see Tyler get the record.

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:07 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:53 pm
phantom wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:55 am
From watching it online (Pluto app feed kept cutting out at the most inopportune times), it seemed like it was a great environment.
The folks that were there sure brought it, but it is highly disappointing that 2700 was the announced attendance. Tyler Hall had a chance at the record, MSU was on a three game winning streak, MSU was tied for the league lead and playing the team they were tied with, UNC has the conference's leading scorer.

It was a Monday night. I get that. But people just don't go the basketball games here like they used to. Students were back, but their numbers were extremely small.

If the weather holds we're going to drive over to Cheney on Saturday to see Tyler get the record.
Ya attendance will be down until this team starts rolling and there’s a buzz. Just the sad simple truth.

That said, the Monday game was terrible for a ton of local basketball families. All the high school hoops teams had practice. Middle school girls season just started. Bozeman has about 20 boys/girls traveling teams from 4th through 8th grade and many practiced. That’s why myself and many others couldn’t make it.

I understand with the league right now we have a goofy schedule. Hopefully going forward it works better for a lot of families that would love to be in attendance.

StatedImprovement
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by StatedImprovement » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:22 pm

We got to celebrate being in 1st place for a couple of days
At least we had that going for us....

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:22 pm

WE had the place rocking like it hasn't for a long time!! Good effort by the Cats and no resemblance to the last couple of years.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

rosco_cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by rosco_cat » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Helcat72 wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:04 pm
Couln't stop Davis' penetration all night. Tried everything but he got layups consistently. Their big men were a lot stronger than Kirby (although I'm impressed with his play generally). They pushed him around inside when he was on defense and easily bodied him out of the way for rebounds. Sam provided some strength inside but fell short on hops! Their big men were really mobile and good jumpers. It's true that we needed one more scorer to have a good game. Their guards were pretty good defensively. It would be nice if Ricketts could develop a driving game, or create his own shot so he would be harder to guard, but he is definitely catch and shoot and nothing more!
Surprised that Ricketts doesn't drive more, as he did often when he played in high school. I realize there is a big difference in the level of play, but he could jump well and also and some nice, smooth moves on the drives.