WBB vs Idaho

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs Idaho

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm

Really bad game. We lose 82-66.
I can't put my finger on it-this team is just missing something. They have better talent than to make a showing like this.
Idaho has two players to guard-and we let them loose time and time again.
And on offense they miss too many shots that should be virtually automatic.
Lots of season to figure it out I guess.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB vs Idaho

Post by Helcat72 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:32 pm
Really bad game. We lose 82-66.
I can't put my finger on it-this team is just missing something. They have better talent than to make a showing like this.
Idaho has two players to guard-and we let them loose time and time again.
And on offense they miss too many shots that should be virtually automatic.
Lots of season to figure it out I guess.
They have only 2 3 pt threats, and don't seem to run plays for them. Also Lundberg doesn't get involved enough either outside or inside....needs to pick one! No other threat but Squires. They either need to step up their 3 or game, or defend it better to beat the better teams.

2024 Resume dominance

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:21 am

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:38 am

This was just a good ole fashioned woodshed beating. Idaho hit 15 threes. There were two players on their team
making them, and as BB said earlier, we never came close to guarding either one. Dang, wish Coach Binford could
recruit a couple of guards like those two, they could flat out play hoops.

MSU was outplayed, outhustled, and WAY outshot. Squires can shoot. So can Lundburg. That's it.

Braxton had a good game inside and Madeline Smith showed some signs of last year. The offense though
doesn't move the ball smoothly. Idaho was a work of art on O; just like SDSU earlier this season.,

I hate to say this, but I typically enjoy watching the women's team over the men's, but as of right now I see a lot
more energy, enthusiasm, chemistry, hustle, and effort coming from the guys than I do the ladies.

p.s. And by the way, the crowd showed up. The band was there. Actually, the crowd is more vocal at the
ladies games than the men's so far this season. The ladies did not respond last night however.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am

Defense, defense and defense! Outside of Braxton and Smith, defense seems like an afterthought. I’m frustrated because we’re better than this. Lundberg is a talent, but her commitment to defense just isn’t there. We can’t beat UNC with such a pathetic defensive effort next week. Practice needs to have a focus on covering the three because we don’t even try. Defense is all about effort and we don’t seem to have any. Our defensive effort was embarrassing. I don’t want to see another story about our Seton Hall transfers until they bring the same focus on defense that they do on offense. The mentality should start from the top and if a player can’t or won’t defend, then they shouldn’t be in the game.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:25 am

Can’t quit laughing! I read the Chronicle this morning and enjoyed Blair Braxton’s honesty. Her comments are what I wanted to hear from Coach Binford. This is all about a lack of commitment to defense! Braxton is right. Defense wins championships and we haven’t played hard on defense since Peyton Ferris graduated. Let’s not blame it on the Seton Hall transfers, but the open 3’s were embarrassing!

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:49 am

I think the John Stockton affect has wore off.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:54 am

Catlady wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:11 am
Defense, defense and defense! Outside of Braxton and Smith, defense seems like an afterthought. I’m frustrated because we’re better than this. Lundberg is a talent, but her commitment to defense just isn’t there. We can’t beat UNC with such a pathetic defensive effort next week. Practice needs to have a focus on covering the three because we don’t even try. Defense is all about effort and we don’t seem to have any. Our defensive effort was embarrassing. I don’t want to see another story about our Seton Hall transfers until they bring the same focus on defense that they do on offense. The mentality should start from the top and if a player can’t or won’t defend, then they shouldn’t be in the game.
You always seem to have a little extra insight into the team. Do we have the right starting five, or the right group getting the bulk of the minutes? (I realize there are not many choices. The players we lost the last couple of years really left some holes.)

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:46 am

That’s the funny thing, we have the right players. I even think we have the right coaches. It’s just about playing hard and having the right game plan. It’s frustrating to see us not put energy into simple task like closing out on 3’s.
Riley, Peyton, Jasmine and Delaney were frustrating at times, but they were nice to have on your side in a street fight. What’s missing on this team is we don’t respond when we get punched in the mouth. I miss seeing Riley diving for loose balls and fighting for rebounds. We’ve lost that swagger. How many 3’s does Idaho need to hit in our face before we say enough? I’m tired of hearing groans at the Brick with each uncontested 3! I really like what this team could be, but without the defensive intensity it’s going to a tough season.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm

We lost our defensive coach, if my knowledge serves me right. I don't know who is coaching the defense now, but @Catlady, do you think the staff has realigned to a workable replacement? You are right, closing out on threes is pretty fundamental. Are they getting caught up in traffic?

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:44 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 pm
We lost our defensive coach, if my knowledge serves me right. I don't know who is coaching the defense now, but @Catlady, do you think the staff has realigned to a workable replacement? You are right, closing out on threes is pretty fundamental. Are they getting caught up in traffic?

Sunny Smallwood was brought in to help coach defense. She had much success coaching defense while at Arizona and at Nebraska.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... aa851.html

Cats are currently ranked 4th in the league on scoring defense vs. 8th in the league on scoring offense. Most stats are mid to bottom tier in the league currently. When you don't have anyone shooting 3 points the inside game is going to get tougher and tougher to score against as coaches adjust the defense to beat you at your game. We had a much better balanced offense in our previous conference champion years.