Cats vs. Sac State

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Cats vs. Sac State

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 am

Hoping the Cats keep the momentum going and get the W this afternoon.

msu_agfan
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Cats vs. Sac State

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 am

I read where Sac State is 2nd in rebounding in the Big Sky, so hopefully Kirby will get to shine and everyone goes after loose balls. We tend to do that so I am feeling good about this one. Hopeful.

Animal Science/ Ag Business '96

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:27 am

I’m hoping for A 60 point outburst from hall, to take down the record at home.

=D^

FTG- GO CATS GO!

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:10 pm

Great Win! 84-70, close back and forth game until the final 5-6 minutes where the Cats pulled away. A nice change of pace from every other game in the Fish era where we collapse the last 5 minutes of the game.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm

Cats shot 33-42 from the FT line, Sac State 8-11 :shock: :shock: :shock:

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:12 pm

Nice win!

Keep it goin!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

sacstateman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by sacstateman » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:11 pm
You guys won the free throw contest....oh, thats right, you shot 31 more than we did....Congratulations....

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:16 pm

I have to say that I have been more and more impressed with both Lassi and Devin Kirby. They both played very well this weekend. With a few more players to help Frey and Hall, maybe we do have a chance to make some noise in conference this year.

HelenaCat

Post by HelenaCat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:17 pm

sacstateman wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm
RobertCats wrote:
You guys won the free throw contest....oh, thats right, you shot 31 more than we did....Congratulations....
Yeah, none of those fouls were fouls at all....... :-({|=

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:17 pm

So we didn't send Sac State to the free throw line fifty times?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

autocat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by autocat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:20 pm

14 point win and Hall only had 9 points, four players in double figures =D^

Lassi from Finland had a great game =D^

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:23 pm

Who would have known that Scandinavia is a point guard haven!
Lasse and his distaff counterpart Camden Hilborn are making arguments to get a lot more playing time.
Last edited by Helcat72 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2024 Resume dominance

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm

sacstateman wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:14 pm
RobertCats wrote:
The Cats have been on the opposite side of a game like that, far too many times lately.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Catfanatic84

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Glad to see the W. Cats are putting it together....I think we'll be in the mix at the end of the conference season....

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Too funny to hear complaints about Sac not getting to the line. We all are of course biased, but there were at least 4 calls made against the Cats that were blatantly wrong, or should have been No Calls. The one where they stopped play and then called Sam for a flagrant? AMAZING! Haha. I don't know I've seen many games with so many bad calls. But you could see the guys rallying, even Fish was rallying, saying forget the call, we got this! Great win.

msu_agfan

Post by msu_agfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:31 pm

We also outrebounded them... kirby helped mightily, even just the couple of times he would have good positioning, which would lead to them getting called for a foul. Basically it was a turnover with free throws for us.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:40 pm

technoCat wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:24 pm
The Cats have been on the opposite side of a game like that, far too many times lately.
Yeah, wait until we go up to Missoula. It'll be at least that lopsided.

So much to talk about in this one.

If I were a Big Sky coach going on the Montana road trip, I'd probably concede the game in Missoula and do all my scouting and preparation for Montana State. Let's face it. Nobody's beating the griz up there. So I think the Bobcats are going to get a lot of attention from opposing coaches.

Both Portland State and Sac State defended us like their hair was on fire. Very aggressive. Sac, of course, gave a lot of attention to Tyler Hall. And it worked. They shut him down pretty good. When Lassi came in you could see the Sac State players mentally disrespecting him. One of their guards sized him up and thought there's no way this little skinny kid can guard me. He backed it into the paint and Lassi guarded him into an air ball. Then on offense, with all the attention of Hall and Frey, Lassi had an open path to the basket time and time again. He took it right at them for layups and fouls. Ricketts struggled on defense, but Nikkarinen had them figured out on both ends. He's the player of the weekend as far as I'm concerned.

Blevins seemed all out of sorts. I wonder if he's sick. He had some bad turnovers and missed from everywhere, including the free throw line. Fish benched him after halftime. Neumann was the calming influence on the team when things weren't going well. He got the tough rebounds, and he scored a couple inside, though he's still terrible at layups. Blevins somehow came to life in the last 5 minutes or so getting rebounds, a dunk, and finally making his free throws. I think he ended up with a double-double.

We had it made when No. 25 and No. 30, Patton, fouled out. Their guards were hot from out, but without the big guys to go to, we could play them a lot tighter. The lead ballooned with their bigs gone. Before that it was nip and tuck the whole way.

Both PSU and Sac were advertised as not being very good from three point range. Both shot it a lot better than their averages against the Bobcats. NAU did that too. That's a problem.

So we're 3-1 which is pretty good considering our start and the fact that after only 2 non-conference games in December we survived these 4 games with very little rest.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:19 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:40 pm
technoCat wrote:
When Lassi came in you could see the Sac State players mentally disrespecting him. One of their guards sized him up and thought there's no way this little skinny kid can guard me. He backed it into the paint and Lassi guarded him into an air ball. Then on offense, with all the attention of Hall and Frey, Lassi had an open path to the basket time and time again. He took it right at them for layups and fouls. Ricketts struggled on defense, but Nikkarinen had them figured out on both ends. He's the player of the weekend as far as I'm concerned.
Agree with much of what you said in your post.

Lassi also had several nice steals. I must admit I am one that felt Lassi should not even have made the roster this year based on last year performance. But I am eating crow....he has definitely picked up his game. As long as teams keep focusing on Hall and Frey, it will be nice to have Lassi able to make a contribution. The redshirt year for Kirby has definitely helped his contribution.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:

If I were a Big Sky coach going on the Montana road trip, I'd probably concede the game in Missoula and do all my scouting and preparation for Montana State. Let's face it. Nobody's beating the griz up there. So I think the Bobcats are going to get a lot of attention from opposing coaches.

Both Portland State and Sac State defended us like their hair was on fire. Very aggressive. Sac, of course, gave a lot of attention to Tyler Hall. And it worked. They shut him down pretty good. When Lassi came in you could see the Sac State players mentally disrespecting him. One of their guards sized him up and thought there's no way this little skinny kid can guard me. He backed it into the paint and Lassi guarded him into an air ball. Then on offense, with all the attention of Hall and Frey, Lassi had an open path to the basket time and time again. He took it right at them for layups and fouls. Ricketts struggled on defense, but Nikkarinen had them figured out on both ends. He's the player of the weekend as far as I'm concerned.

Blevins seemed all out of sorts. I wonder if he's sick. He had some bad turnovers and missed from everywhere, including the free throw line. Fish benched him after halftime. Neumann was the calming influence on the team when things weren't going well. He got the tough rebounds, and he scored a couple inside, though he's still terrible at layups. Blevins somehow came to life in the last 5 minutes or so getting rebounds, a dunk, and finally making his free throws. I think he ended up with a double-double.

We had it made when No. 25 and No. 30, Patton, fouled out. Their guards were hot from out, but without the big guys to go to, we could play them a lot tighter. The lead ballooned with their bigs gone. Before that it was nip and tuck the whole way.

Both PSU and Sac were advertised as not being very good from three point range. Both shot it a lot better than their averages against the Bobcats. NAU did that too. That's a problem.

So we're 3-1 which is pretty good considering our start and the fact that after only 2 non-conference games in December we survived these 4 games with very little rest.
And the Griz lose to PSU tonight at home, wow!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:33 pm

RobertCats wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:22 pm
BelgradeBobcat wrote:
technoCat wrote:

And the Griz lose to PSU tonight at home, wow!
Should have known better than to post that. Everybody knows that all Portland State does is win win in Missoula! :lol: =D^