Lady Cats Blow 18 point lead

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Lady Cats Blow 18 point lead

Post by aucat » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:21 am

Anyone know the last time the MSU women lost a lead that big? I can't recall.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Lady Cats Blow 18 point lead

Post by Catlady » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 am

That was as bad a loss as I’ve ever seen at MSU. I thought Binford didn’t react to changes made by the PSU coach. It’s amazing that our team has fallen in love with the 3 pt shot. 6-25 from 3! They’re great when you make them, but difficult to win when you don’t. I thought Mocchi and Hilborn played well. We rebounded well against a taller team. How does Squires and Wright not get a point?

This one is going to hurt all year. Where’s the assistant coaches when Binford needs help making adjustments? Does anybody have Nate Harris on speed dial?

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:11 pm

In defense of falling in love with the three, PSU sets up a zone defense consisting of two 6'-4" and one 6'-3" front line players, and a 6'-2" point guard that make our usual inside game almost impossible.
PSU has only lost two games this year. UNC beat them in Greely last week by hitting like 14 3's (because that's what they do). They also outrebounded PSU like we did due to the fact that the zone is harder to rebound out of. They hang their hat on inside defense and getting the ball to their huge front line. The were missing bunnies inside the whole first half. Those misses were makes in the 2nd.

2024 Resume dominance

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm

Helcat, did you watch the game?
We dominated the inside, outscored them in the paint, out rebounded PSU and our bigs outscored their bigs! Where they got the advantage was the guard spot. Wright and Squires didn’t have a point, they went 0-11. Where we fell apart was inoppurtune 3’s and bad turnovers. We even dominated on second chance points. Yes they have a huge front line, but we won in every area inside the paint. 6-25 from the three point stripe is horrendous. Their misses weren’t makes in the second half. The problem is we continue to shoot the 3 versus mixing it up. We were outscored in the 4th quarter 20-9. The only major stat they beat us was assist. Because instead of passing, they were jacking up threes.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:11 am

Ilikecats wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:43 pm
Helcat, did you watch the game?
We dominated the inside, outscored them in the paint, out rebounded PSU and our bigs outscored their bigs! Where they got the advantage was the guard spot. Wright and Squires didn’t have a point, they went 0-11. Where we fell apart was inoppurtune 3’s and bad turnovers. We even dominated on second chance points. Yes they have a huge front line, but we won in every area inside the paint. 6-25 from the three point stripe is horrendous. Their misses weren’t makes in the second half. The problem is we continue to shoot the 3 versus mixing it up. We were outscored in the 4th quarter 20-9. The only major stat they beat us was assist. Because instead of passing, they were jacking up threes.
I guess you are right after looking at the stats. It just looked to me like we were giving up on the offense due to the zone. Smith had 10 points, 4 field goals. Squires didn't even score. Not sure if it was her foul trouble, or she was held down by Bolston. Bolston always kills us. Also they outscored us from the free throw line by 5. Statistically it was a pretty even game, it's just that we scored our points in the 1st half, and they scored theirs in the second. Our younger guards are not scoring much. Wright brings the ball up and handles it ok, but hasn't scored much. VanSickle, Squires and Wright failed to score. Hilborn played a good game with 8 points. She probably deserves more playing time. She sort of reminds me of Lasse Nikarinen...same game.
What's up with Martell? She was a great shooter last year as a freshman.
I think Lundburg needs to define her role on the team. Is she a 3 or a 4? She's a good player but sometimes disappears for awhile. She needs to be more like Payton Ferris.

2024 Resume dominance

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:43 am

Great question on Martell. Seems that if they’re sagging in a zone she would’ve been our best zone buster! This summer is huge for Martell. She needs to rent space in the weight room! She’s not strong enough for D1 basketball right now. She’s a tremendous shooter and needs to find her way back on the floor.
Lundberg is a talent, but foul prone. I think she’s a 4, but understand why Binford plays her at different spots. Our guard play is spotty.... squires has so much talent, but doesn’t seem to be locked right now.

This is a good team and if they ever figure it out watch out Big Sky!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:23 pm

Lady Cats are leading Sacramento 51-45 after e quarters. Last I checked the Vikings were blowing out the Lady Griz..

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act