2019 MSU Recruiting (Early Signing Period)

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

kwcat
Member # Retired

Re: 2019 MSU Recruiting (Early Signing Period)

Post by kwcat » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:15 pm
The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm
All know verbals are in! Everything else today would be a surprise.
Hey Vim, what positions do you think the coaching staff will go after in the latter signing period?
- Transfer QB
- Transfer OL (interior for competition and to give that group more flexibility)
- Transfer TE
- Athletes at the QB position (need position versatility)
- 1 more WR (speed not possession)
- 1 more CB
- 1 more S
- 1 more OL
- 1 more LB

That's all I predict for now. May go after a transfer WR instead.
Our (9) Seniors graduating are;
• DL; Tucker Yates, Zach Wright, Tyrone Fa’Anono
• TE; Connor Sullivan, Wilson Brot, Curtis Amos
• OL; Alex Neale
• LB; Grant Collins
• WR; John D’Agostino

So far we’ve added (17);
Transfers
o LB; Blake Flovin
HS Recruits;
 QB; Blake Thelen
 OL; Jack Vering, Holden Sampson
 TE; Ryan Lonergan, Ethan Bullock
 RB; Demaeus Hosey, Joe Olson
 WR; Jaden Smith, Tanner Trafton
 DL; Rudder Romo, Marcus Wehr, Hayden Isenhart, Blake Schmidt
 LB; Cole Oster, Amandre Williams,
 S; Alex Johnson

What positions the staff will sign in February and if they'll be True Freshman or Transfers is a good question. Other good questions are....will Chris Murray, Jabarri Johnson or Tyler Natee be back. Kinda sounds like CM maybe, but JJ & Natee no.

Given what we know seems like certainly a Transfer QB and a Transfer TE would be high on the list. Only having 2 OL recruits is way low, even though most of our OL are F, RF & SO's. We currently have 15 OL on the roster with just 3 upper classmen, 1 Senior (Neale) and 2 JR's (Hammock & Brott). Since we don't have any Cornerbacks on the list you'd think we'd get at least 1, but it wouldn't need to be a transfer....we're pretty young there.
Jabarri Johnson and Tyler Natee are likely not to be back. Also, Colin Hammock has decided to graduate and give up his final year of eligibility. Alex Johnson is being recruited as an OLB.
Isn't Alex Neale still possibly returning?

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Jabarri Johnson and Tyler Natee are likely not to be back. Also, Colin Hammock has decided to graduate and give up his final year of eligibility. Alex Johnson is being recruited as an OLB.
Thanks for the corrections & clarifications. Is there any info you can share regarding Chris Murray's status/situation?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:35 pm

kwcat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:03 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:54 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:11 pm
All know verbals are in! Everything else today would be a surprise.
Hey Vim, what positions do you think the coaching staff will go after in the latter signing period?
- Transfer QB
- Transfer OL (interior for competition and to give that group more flexibility)
- Transfer TE
- Athletes at the QB position (need position versatility)
- 1 more WR (speed not possession)
- 1 more CB
- 1 more S
- 1 more OL
- 1 more LB

That's all I predict for now. May go after a transfer WR instead.
Our (9) Seniors graduating are;
• DL; Tucker Yates, Zach Wright, Tyrone Fa’Anono
• TE; Connor Sullivan, Wilson Brot, Curtis Amos
• OL; Alex Neale
• LB; Grant Collins
• WR; John D’Agostino

So far we’ve added (17);
Transfers
o LB; Blake Flovin
HS Recruits;
 QB; Blake Thelen
 OL; Jack Vering, Holden Sampson
 TE; Ryan Lonergan, Ethan Bullock
 RB; Demaeus Hosey, Joe Olson
 WR; Jaden Smith, Tanner Trafton
 DL; Rudder Romo, Marcus Wehr, Hayden Isenhart, Blake Schmidt
 LB; Cole Oster, Amandre Williams,
 S; Alex Johnson

What positions the staff will sign in February and if they'll be True Freshman or Transfers is a good question. Other good questions are....will Chris Murray, Jabarri Johnson or Tyler Natee be back. Kinda sounds like CM maybe, but JJ & Natee no.

Given what we know seems like certainly a Transfer QB and a Transfer TE would be high on the list. Only having 2 OL recruits is way low, even though most of our OL are F, RF & SO's. We currently have 15 OL on the roster with just 3 upper classmen, 1 Senior (Neale) and 2 JR's (Hammock & Brott). Since we don't have any Cornerbacks on the list you'd think we'd get at least 1, but it wouldn't need to be a transfer....we're pretty young there.
Isn't Alex Neale still possibly returning?
Nope. He appealed because he only played four games his true freshman season at UNLV. But the NCAA denied nearly every case, including Alex's. Anyway, the kids listed in this tweet were the kids who are done.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:39 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:23 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Thanks for the corrections & clarifications. Is there any info you can share regarding Chris Murray's status/situation?
Nope.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm

What happened to Jabarri again?

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:17 pm
LTown Cat wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:02 pm
Ryan Lonergan named best in-state recruit here:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/ ... li=BBnba9I
Multiple college and high school coaches have told me Holden Sampson is the top player in Montana and it’s not even close.

I’ll put out my Locks, Solids and Tweeners early next week. I had 19 total last year. It’ll be less this year.
Hmmm...the "not even close" part is hyperbole. I like Holden a ton and I think he gets lost in the conversation because he ahead of the curve as a lineman coming out of high school. But it was made clear fairly early that this was a class that would produce no clear #1 recruit. Coaches I have talked to have mentioned a mix of 8-9 players who have all been in the conversation.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm

CatBlitz wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:17 pm
What happened to Jabarri again?
Bad knee injury.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:28 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

Multiple college and high school coaches have told me Holden Sampson is the top player in Montana and it’s not even close.

I’ll put out my Locks, Solids and Tweeners early next week. I had 19 total last year. It’ll be less this year.
Hmmm...the "not even close" part is hyperbole. I like Holden a ton and I think he gets lost in the conversation because he ahead of the curve as a lineman coming out of high school. But it was made clear fairly early that this was a class that would produce no clear #1 recruit. Coaches I have talked to have mentioned a mix of 8-9 players who have all been in the conversation.
I would say 7 out of 9 is not even close. I asked, if you had to pick one player who would you say is #1? It isn’t a great class was another comment. Sampson will be the only lock on my list. The rest are solids and tweeners.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:53 pm

Couple of things from the presser.
Romo graduated early and will be here for this coming semester.
Choate said he have about 8 "numbers" left for the Feb. class. Does that mean 8 scholarships available or 8 signees?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:01 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:49 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:18 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:

I would say 7 out of 9 is not even close. I asked, if you had to pick one player who would you say is #1? It isn’t a great class was another comment. Sampson will be the only lock on my list. The rest are solids and tweeners.
I've heard that every time and mostly its referring to the depth of top talent. For what it's worth, four coaches I hold in pretty high regard answered your question with Lonergan, Lonergan, Owens, Dixon, respectively. Other kids who have gotten a mention are Poetzl, Sampson, Gradney, Johnson, Olson, and Counts. So like I said, a mix of 8-9.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:10 pm

My sources did well last year. Last year the locks were Sulser, Askelson and Turner. Turner didn’t see the field from what I saw. Sulser made several big plays. Askelson made the big blocked punt vs Word. He only played in four games and has a Daly/Bignell look to him.

A few of the solids got some time. Sumner, Graves, Janacaro.

A tweener has dropped from FBS to NAIA.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:10 pm
My sources did well last year. Last year the locks were Sulser, Askelson and Turner. Turner didn’t see the field from what I saw. Sulser made several big plays. Askelson made the big blocked punt vs Word. He only played in four games and has a Daly/Bignell look to him.

Could you produce that list again for reference Tom? I'd like to archive it in some way. Thanks in advance!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:53 pm

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:21 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:14 pm
TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:10 pm

Could you produce that list again for reference Tom? I'd like to archive it in some way. Thanks in advance!
It’s in separate posts on pages 30-31(?) of the 2018 Montana Recruits thread. I’ll cut n paste later.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 pm

Really like the comment about Olson having good vision from skiing. Very true. You ski with your eyes.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:46 pm

It sounds like Choate thinks Schmidt is the top player in this class. He seems pretty impressed with Flovin also.

Really solidified the LB spot with Flovin and Williams. Those two with Andersen, Hill, Kanow, Chapman, Cozzie, Jobman, Gilman, Askelson, etc. That group is ready to take off.

Chapman, Cozzie, Kanow, Gilman are already ST cover aces.
Last edited by TomCat88 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toM StUber

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm
Choate talked a little bit about Murray in this presser too. Mentioned something about he knew he had applied for readmission but how he does during this upcoming semester is what determines his academic standing with the University. So I take it he will still be considered academically ineligible until he brings his GPA up with the spring semester? Does that mean he can't rejoin the team until the summer?

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:53 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:46 pm
It sounds like Choate thinks Schmidt is the top player in this class. He seems pretty impressed with Flovin also.

Really solidified the LB spot with Flovin and Williams. Those two with Andersen, Hill, Kanow, Chapman, Cozzie, Jobman, Gilman, Askelson, etc. That group is ready to take off.
When talking about Williams Choate said he projects him at the boundary OLB position and in his next breath talked about Williams solidifying that position allows us to move some kids to other positions that took a hit w/ graduation, Hadley to TE perhaps??