WBB vs. Omaha

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

WBB vs. Omaha

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:47 pm

Oliana Squires did it all in that 4th quarter. Defense, rebounds, assists, free throws, and big shots including the shot that gave us our first lead with 21 seconds left. Just an amazing performance.
For 3 quarters Omaha was carving us up with precision passing and good shooting. In the first half MSU could not get anything to fall. We got a few to fall in the second half, but we were still down about 14 early in the 4th quarter. Then Squires ate them alive. This was a win we could have only gotten at home. Omaha choked a bit, a couple of calls went our way, and big shots were hit. The crowd made a big difference. That was fun.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: WBB vs. Omaha

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:49 pm

The shot that finally got us over the hump. Then she almost got the steal on the in bounds pass.

Catlady
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catlady » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:17 pm

Great win, but the team did not play well. Live by the three and die by the three. Shooting percentage was horrendous.

A win is a win, but going to have to improve. I still like Smith and Braxton on the court. They seem to hold the team together. I’m wondering if we should call our offense “ chuck and run” ?

Coach Binford it’s time to get this team moving in the right direction! Let’s slow down on the threes and get back to basics!

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:04 pm

It looked to me like Omaha played a lot of zone and let us have a lot of wide open looks from three-land, with a lot of attention being paid to Lundberg. Their staff obviously did their homework. Even on that go-ahead shot in the video clip above you can see them in that zone and sagging way off Squires-just daring her to shoot it. It almost worked-early on we were having a hard time even drawing iron.

We'll have to be a whole lot better to have any kind of a chance against South Dakota State on Tuesday night. SDSU is usually flirting with the top 25. They'll be very good.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:19 pm

Agree with the comments. I dont know what the right description is but the ladies looked "out of sorts", lethargic, tentative ....just didn't look like they were moving well.

Yes Omaha played a lot of 2-3 zone and with good ball movement you are going to get some good open 3 point tries all night long. You need to hit them to bring them out on you. Even though we did get a number of open three shots we weren't moving....pretty flat footed.

I looked up sometime in Q3, we had more rebounds, more assists and were shooting half what they were. They were shooting over 50% at the time. Also, at that point we were just 3 of 25 from 3 point range...at 12% ...I don't recall them ever shooting that poor from 3 point land in my 4 years watching.

But second half "D" picked up. Oli was all over the guards. #11 who had 14 points in the first half was a non-factor in second half. I think with Oli inspiration the team D in Q4 was much better. When Cats started driving and working underneath baseline a bit there were some pretty inside plays. Saw just a slight uptick shooting % in Q4. Anyway....was a good comeback win. Many kudos to Oli and her performance tonight. Loved Blair's fight under the boards on several occasions.

Certainly will need to pick up play on Tuesday...and as we head into conference play.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 am

Interesting that you say that about "looking out of sorts." There were a lot of tired looking faces during the intros/anthem on the Plutocast. I mentioned it to my wife at the time. Finals week? I'm sure I never looked too chipper at that point in the term.

I would like to throw a kudo to Gabby Mocchi. They had just burned us for about three layins in a row when she subbed in. And that's when the 18-2 run started. I thought she brought energy, and good defense and passing with her. A good future for Gabby.

BobcatDel
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by BobcatDel » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:36 am

Bobcat4Ever wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:42 am
Interesting that you say that about "looking out of sorts." There were a lot of tired looking faces during the intros/anthem on the Plutocast. I mentioned it to my wife at the time. Finals week? I'm sure I never looked too chipper at that point in the term.

I would like to throw a kudo to Gabby Mocchi. They had just burned us for about three layins in a row when she subbed in. And that's when the 18-2 run started. I thought she brought energy, and good defense and passing with her. A good future for Gabby.
Good comment on Gabby. Yes she did play some good minutes. I think her and Kamden Hilborn both have good futures but Hilborn did not get a lot of minutes last night.

Did you notice Gabby's hand was pretty heavily taped? I couldn't see well but looked like she had three fingers and a club! Guess my point is I was surprised she handled the ball as well as she did with her dominant hand pretty well wrapped.

Ilikecats
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Ilikecats » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:23 am

Glad to see our Freshman contribute, but 16 offensive rebounds kept us in the game. I agree that we shoot way too many 3 pointers. That’s why we get our butts kicked against good teams. Let’s get back to the basics of tough defense and strong rebounding. I read yesterday that our 5’s are shooting around 65% for the season. We use to play inside out and was very successful. I’m not a fan of the bombs away! We were 20% from 3 yesterday. Lots of bad threes! Let’s go back to playing the style of play we learned when John Stockton was helping the staff. Two championships don’t lie!