article in Chronicle today

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1984champ
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by 1984champ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:36 pm
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm
So this is similar to when Stitt pull Woody Brandoms offer, change of coaching and direction? Handled well? Happens, more often than any team wants to discuss. Grind your axe much? All the time! Go be a douche somewhere else.
UM has pulled scholarships too. I remember a certain d lineman a few years back, same situation. He was from Cali and there was an interview with his high school coach that basically said don’t ever come back to recruit his program again. Look it up.

How does this situation compare to that at all or on any level. That’s a new staff coming in with their own plans. This was the same MSU staff. Try again.
It wasn't the same staff. Along with being the recruiting coordinator, Miller was named OC, and basically tasked with saving the season. This kid slipped through the cracks for a couple weeks. Sucks but everybody will learn from it and move on. Well except for the one guy leading the charge here and on egriz. Wonder if they know each other.
Thanks for spending lots of time on EGriz. Do you do lots of cute gifs and memes there, too. I’m surprised you found the ability to type this out without one.
This ****** assclown. I'm glad we have a griz fan keeping up with all of our recruiting and then turns around and crys about in a circle jerk on egriz. Hooked musta had to eat the cracker, he's awfully butt hurt.
Not hard to keep up when the negative publicity is all over the news papers and social media. So do you agree with how this was handled? Is it only okay since the cats did it?

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
So this is similar to when Stitt pull Woody Brandoms offer, change of coaching and direction? Handled well? Happens, more often than any team wants to discuss. Grind your axe much? All the time! Go be a douche somewhere else.
How does this situation compare to that at all or on any level. That’s a new staff coming in with their own plans. This was the same MSU staff. Try again.
It wasn't the same staff. Along with being the recruiting coordinator, Miller was named OC, and basically tasked with saving the season. This kid slipped through the cracks for a couple weeks. Sucks but everybody will learn from it and move on. Well except for the one guy leading the charge here and on egriz. Wonder if they know each other.
Thanks for spending lots of time on EGriz. Do you do lots of cute gifs and memes there, too. I’m surprised you found the ability to type this out without one.
This ****** assclown. I'm glad we have a griz fan keeping up with all of our recruiting and then turns around and crys about in a circle jerk on egriz. Hooked musta had to eat the cracker, he's awfully butt hurt.
Not hard to keep up when the negative publicity is all over the news papers and social media. So do you agree with how this was handled? Is it only okay since the cats did it?
Serious question. Don’t you have enough problems in Missoula to stew about? You are really getting more pathetic every time you show up here.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:15 pm

Does this happen in recruiting every year? Yes. Is it poor on the part of Choate signing off on offering this kid in the first place? Yes. However, if Hayden is good enough and wants to play in the FCS, scouts will or should have already found him. If the only other offers are from D2 schools, it should tell everyone why the Cats pulled the offer. Does it suck for the kid and make Choate look bad? Absolutely. But like every year, this thing called recruiting is a roller coaster ride from signing day to signing day. Learn from it and move on.

By the way, same thing happened to Onte Burns last year. He was a linebacker recruit from Minnesota recruited by Gregorak who committed in August...but then had his offer pulled after his senior season. Later signed with a D2 school.
Last edited by VimSince03 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:20 pm

My $0.02.

Kid was offered this summer by an OC who is no longer here. Same kid goes out and has a stinker of a senior season.

Coaches probably see that he’s not the guy they were hoping he would be so they rescind the scholarship offer. It’s not the first time, nor the last time something like this will happen.

unfortunate but understandable

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:32 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Serious question. Don’t you have enough problems in Missoula to stew about? You are really getting more pathetic every time you show up here.
So what is your view on how this was handled? Looks like you and a number of others would rather not comment on the thread started by one of your own and just get triggered about me sharing my 2 cents instead. Plenty here had lots to say about Calhoun and his scholarship. Why no comments on this situation?

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:15 pm
Does this happen in recruiting every year? Yes. Is it poor on the part of Choate signing off on offering this kid in the first place? Yes. However, if Hayden is good enough and wants to play in the FCS, scouts will or should have already found him. If the only other offers are from D2 schools, it should tell everyone why the Cats pulled the offer. Does it suck for the kid and make Choate looked bad? Absolutely. But like every year, this thing called recruiting is a roller coaster ride from signing day to signing day. Learn from it and move on.

By the way, same thing happened to Onte Burns last year. He wad a linebacker recruit from Minnesota recruited by Gregorak who committed in August...but then had his offer pulled after his senior season.
Thanks for participating in the discussion. I appreciate your viewpoint. Same with wbtg

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:42 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:
Does this happen in recruiting every year? Yes. Is it poor on the part of Choate signing off on offering this kid in the first place? Yes. However, if Hayden is good enough and wants to play in the FCS, scouts will or should have already found him. If the only other offers are from D2 schools, it should tell everyone why the Cats pulled the offer. Does it suck for the kid and make Choate looked bad? Absolutely. But like every year, this thing called recruiting is a roller coaster ride from signing day to signing day. Learn from it and move on.

By the way, same thing happened to Onte Burns last year. He wad a linebacker recruit from Minnesota recruited by Gregorak who committed in August...but then had his offer pulled after his senior season.
Thanks for participating in the discussion. I appreciate your viewpoint. Same with wbtg
Wonder why grizaddicted hasn't sad anything about David Hayward Monte Vista 6-4, 235 OT Commits and changes to West Point? Double standard hurting you egizz?

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:03 pm

This entire thread became a ridiculous farse. How about all the kids the high school coach cut? Did he truly give a damn about all their hurt feelers? How about all the rejection letters one is certain to receive as they go up the food chain in their chosen careers? Does every human resource department notify an applicant they've chosen someone else for a position they applied for and left thinking they had the job? Geezzz...my own children had to learn not every offer was going to come to fruition and had to move on with life. Scholarship offers get pulled depending upon where a kid is on that staff's board LOI day. We have picked up some decent ball players on LOI day because their DI offer got pulled that morning. It's called recruiting. Decent high school programs keep their kids informed, not the other way around.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:32 pm
HelenaCat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:09 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
So what is your view on how this was handled? Looks like you and a number of others would rather not comment on the thread started by one of your own and just get triggered about me sharing my 2 cents instead. Plenty here had lots to say about Calhoun and his scholarship. Why no comments on this situation?
GrizAgenda is one of those pathetic Griz fans that will try to make the Cats look bad on anything. Just last year besides Brandom, Hauck pulled another kids offer:

https://www.dailybreeze.com/2018/01/17/ ... star-game/

And GrizAgenda also fails to recognize that the main recruiter of this kid was Bob Cole who was fired from this staff. I feel bad for the kid, but this happens all the time, especially at the FBS level.

But be careful guys, he is a very sophisticated poster who will start calling you snowflake and ask if you have sand in your vagina. He is a troll on every level.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 pm

I think the coaches just miscalculated. All the scholarships for clip board holders are filled. We don't have a spot for another one. We have too many other holes to fill on this roster-like linebacker for instance. Of course that's a news story to the Chronicle-and I'm sure all the rest of the statewide griz-centric media will be all over it soon.

84CatGrad

Post by 84CatGrad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:33 pm
VimSince03 wrote:

Agree this looks bad at face value. But, as somebody stated, we have only heard one side of the story. If we were privy to the coaches side, it just might explain it neat as a pin. Without hearing their side, everything is pure speculation.

MTmadeCat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTmadeCat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:09 pm

None of us know the communication (or lack thereof) behind the scenes. Sure, Ekern and his coach may feel bad, but the same day Bob Cole was let go Hayden re-shared his hudl highlights on his Twitter if I’m not mistaken. Choate thought bringing coach Cole on board was a long term plan and signed off on the Ekern offer hoping Cole could mold him to run his desired offense, but when things with Coach Cole went south and the offensives coaches and Choate evaluated his play senior year, they probably agreed he was no longer in the plans. Sounds like the writing was on the wall but nobody read it aloud.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:43 pm

I saw a post from Vim from the recruiting that I think is important to this discussion. Vim says the offer was rescinded months ago when Cole was let go. In reading the article, it is not clear when the offer was rescinded but this did not occur this week. It happened some time ago and the author does not do a good job explaining the timeframe. Additionally, coaches cannot comment so you only have one side of the story. I feel bad for the kid, but his main recruiter was fired and the kid had a pretty bad year having 1 TD with 4 INT. It shouldn’t have been a complete surprise that his offer was rescinded.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:31 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 pm
RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm
Well, I know one thing for certain-- if we want an unbiased take, let's hear out the Griz fan!
What’s your take? Would love to hear you defend such actions.
My take is that I have no idea what actually happened and that it's hilarious when Griz fans weigh in on stuff like this and expect to be taken seriously. MSU is your boogyman.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Bummer for the kid... but yeah, this stuff happens everywhere, it’s part of recruiting.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm

So, last year, Hauk decides to go in a different direction and rescinds a scholarship offer for a um commit. This year, Choate decides to go in a different direction and rescinds the scholarship offer for an MSU commit. I disagree with both decisions, but I understand the coaches reasoning. I doubt the young men who lost their scholarship offers care about any perceived difference. I don’t get how some um fans can justify their coaches decision but criticize MSU for doing the very same thing. The reasoning and results are the same.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 pm
So, last year, Hauk decides to go in a different direction and rescinds a scholarship offer for a um commit. This year, Choate decides to go in a different direction and rescinds the scholarship offer for an MSU commit. I disagree with both decisions, but I understand the coaches reasoning. I doubt the young men who lost their scholarship offers care about any perceived difference. I don’t get how some um fans can justify their coaches decision but criticize MSU for doing the very same thing. The reasoning and results are the same.
You (any many others) have tried to say this is the same but it not whatsoever. Hauck coming in and not fulfilling a scholarship offer from a previous coach (Stitt) is not at all the same as your CURRENT staff offering a scholarship, having it accepted, then pulling it but not telling the kid, his family, or the coach about it for weeks. This looks awful no matter how bad you guys try to spin it. Night and day difference.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 pm
AFCAT wrote:
You (any many others) have tried to say this is the same but it not whatsoever. Hauck coming in and not fulfilling a scholarship offer from a previous coach (Stitt) is not at all the same as your CURRENT staff offering a scholarship, having it accepted, then pulling it but not telling the kid, his family, or the coach about it for weeks. This looks awful no matter how bad you guys try to spin it. Night and day difference.
Please, both coaches pulled the offers and the young men lost their scholarships. There is no difference.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:23 am

AFCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:37 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Please, both coaches pulled the offers and the young men lost their scholarships. There is no difference.
But... but... but... that doesn’t fit grizdouche’s agenda! ](*,)

GO CATS GO!!!

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 am

So a while back CN said he couldn't get ahold of the kid after Cole left to see if he was still committed. This reporter can't get a hold of him. Maybe the kid has communication issues. Maybe he knows but his coach didn't. Maybe the coach is supporting his dude in public so this doesn't hurt his recruitment possibilities. Convenient the coach can tell one side but Choate can't comment so we dont get his. The kid retweets his hudl video. All this adds up to what?