article in Chronicle today

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

article in Chronicle today

Post by aucat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:46 pm

So anyone else feel a bit ticked after reading the article by Paul Schwedelson today?
Focused on the fact that apparently a kid from Chicago had committed to MSU
to play QB, but Bob Cole recruited him, so after Cole left the program MSU no longer
was interested. Of note is the fact that this young man had no other offers from any
FCS level school.

Schwedelson seems to be trying to paint MSU in a bad light on "failing to honor a
commitment" but if I'm not mistaken, this sort of thing happens quite a bit, especially
at programs like Saban's where he gets to pick NFL type players.

Anyway, I just thought that it was not that newsworthy. Am I off base?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: article in Chronicle today

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:49 pm

Already being discussed in the recruiting thread.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm

Would be one thing if they told the kid what was happening and were proactive about it as soon as Cole got the boot. The fact they stopped communicating with him and his coach all together, only to finally tell them there’s no more offer just days before early signing is pretty damn ******.

RobertoGato
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by RobertoGato » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm

Well, I know one thing for certain-- if we want an unbiased take, let's hear out the Griz fan!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:20 pm
Would be one thing if they told the kid what was happening and were proactive about it as soon as Cole got the boot. The fact they stopped communicating with him and his coach all together, only to finally tell them there’s no more offer just days before early signing is pretty damn ******.
2 weeks from Oct. 20th is when?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:48 pm

RobertoGato wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm
Well, I know one thing for certain-- if we want an unbiased take, let's hear out the Griz fan!
What’s your take? Would love to hear you defend such actions.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:28 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
2 weeks from Oct. 20th is when?
Cole was given the boot on Oct 20. The Cats then ignored the kid and the coach for weeks after. Why not just tell him what was happening as opposed to the crappy communication. This isn’t the first time the Cats did this to a kid either.

Seems like it went over really well:

“In 21 years as head coach at St. Rita, Kuska estimated that he’s coached about 50 or 60 Division I players. He’s “never once had a school turn down a commitment,” he said.”

“He was very disappointed. He really wanted to go there. That’s why he committed there. A lot went into that decision,” Kuska said of Ekern. “It’s tough. It’s tough to regroup. He did an outstanding job of not letting this get to him.”

“It was a major gut punch to everybody that he no longer was going to be able to go there,” Kuska said. “Even if you say, ‘We’ll still keep you in mind,’ he had his commitment there. That’s a lot for a 17-year-old kid to take in when he had this all planned out, and then all of a sudden it’s up in the air now through nothing of his.”

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm

Seems like the answers you want are on egriz.
Last edited by Hawks86 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm

So this is similar to when Stitt pull Woody Brandoms offer, change of coaching and direction? Handled well? Happens, more often than any team wants to discuss. Grind your axe much? All the time! Go be a douche somewhere else.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm

LIBBYCAT wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm
So this is similar to when Stitt pull Woody Brandoms offer, change of coaching and direction? Handled well? Happens, more often than any team wants to discuss. Grind your axe much? All the time! Go be a douche somewhere else.
How does this situation compare to that at all or on any level. That’s a new staff coming in with their own plans. This was the same MSU staff. Try again.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:23 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
It happens all the time.

Do any of you pay attention to any recruiting outside of Montana? Cause this happens a lot.

And please remember, we're only hearing from one side here.

But I repeat, this happens a lot. Where it doesn't happen is a school that you recruit a lot. I wouldn't expect to recruit at St. Rita's again.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm
LIBBYCAT wrote:
How does this situation compare to that at all or on any level. That’s a new staff coming in with their own plans. This was the same MSU staff. Try again.
It wasn't the same staff. Along with being the recruiting coordinator, Miller was named OC, and basically tasked with saving the season. This kid slipped through the cracks for a couple weeks. Sucks but everybody will learn from it and move on. Well except for the one guy leading the charge here and on egriz. Wonder if they know each other.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
It wasn't the same staff. Along with being the recruiting coordinator, Miller was named OC, and basically tasked with saving the season. This kid slipped through the cracks for a couple weeks. Sucks but everybody will learn from it and move on. Well except for the one guy leading the charge here and on egriz. Wonder if they know each other.
Thanks for spending lots of time on EGriz. Do you do lots of cute gifs and memes there, too. I’m surprised you found the ability to type this out without one.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:49 pm

Why does this even matter? If Cole has recruited this kid and now how isn’t there, maybe we didn’t take him because we are looking for a kid that can have an immediate impact or maybe a different style of QB. This does happen all the time. Some kids are even told not to come back after they have been on the team already. Find another school and move on.

Punters are people too!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
Thanks for spending lots of time on EGriz. Do you do lots of cute gifs and memes there, too. I’m surprised you found the ability to type this out without one.
You have 1002 more posts on BN than I do on egriz.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:51 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
You have 1002 more posts on BN than I do on egriz.
Serious question. Do you seriously believe it was a different staff who both offered then yanked this scholarship offer? Are not all offers signed off on by your head coach? If not, no wonder there are issues. You claim above it was two different staffs who offered and then yanked this scholarship. How it that?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Cole wanted him. Cole got fired. Miller wanted to go in a different direction at QB. Choate is the head head coach so should get some scrutiny over not contacting Ekern sooner. Last comment about it.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
This ****** assclown. I'm glad we have a griz fan keeping up with all of our recruiting and then turns around and crys about in a circle jerk on egriz. Hooked musta had to eat the cracker, he's awfully butt hurt.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:30 pm

If this is all we have to critique, then things are pretty good. If it doesn’t fit Coach Miller’s system then cut the kid lose and move on. Best thing for both. The last thing we need is a qb that doesn’t fit the system. We are split in that area now and no need to convolute it further.

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:36 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:29 pm
Grizaddict wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
LIBBYCAT wrote:
This ****** assclown. I'm glad we have a griz fan keeping up with all of our recruiting and then turns around and crys about in a circle jerk on egriz. Hooked musta had to eat the cracker, he's awfully butt hurt.
Not hard to keep up when the negative publicity is all over the news papers and social media. So do you agree with how this was handled? Is it only okay since the cats did it?