Griz O-line Recruit

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Griz O-line Recruit

Post by 84CatGrad » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:26 pm

According to the Billings Gazette, the Griz received a verbal from a Washington state o-lineman. In the Gazette, the kid is quoted as saying

“They did an in-home visit, and coach (Bobby) Hauck said the offensive line coach (Chad Germer) thought I should have been offered by UW (Washington) and that I could go to the NFL if I really wanted to and dedicate myself,” Barthel said."

Who knows what was really said but apparently the kid thinks the coaches feel as though he has a shot at the NFL. Is this the kind off things coaches really say to these gullible kids? Of course, I suppose the kid actually does have a shot at the NFL (everyone does) but we all know it's one-in-a-thousand, at best.

I guess I'm interested in everyone's take on this. Do coaches commonly say outlandish things like this to land a recruit?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Griz O-line Recruit

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:37 pm

Coach Germer has developed NFL quality lineman in his tenure so why can't Chad say that? If he likes his film/frame and there is a history of getting lineman a shot at the NFL, sell it!

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:10 pm

What’s wrong with him being so impressed with this kid that he lets him and his family know that UW not grabbing him first surprised him? Maybe helps the kid get a chip on his shoulder so he can show everyone what they missed out on. This kids high school coach (a former O Lineman for UW) said sky is the limit with this kid and he can be an all Big Sky O Lineman. I suppose his high school coach should be scolded for saying such things, too 🙄

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:38 pm

According to one of our recruits, some of the stadium upgrades are supposed to be completed by the time he reports to camp. So, was this a lie or was it the coaches telling him something they knew? Also, you never know who is capable of playing on Sundays. If you feel the kid has skills, tell him that.

Punters are people too!!

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:46 pm

Germer is a damn good Oline coach. This past year was a bad year, and is not reflective of his career as an Oline coach - his Olines will be good in the future.
Germer/Hauck have a prototypical Oline height/arm-length/athleticism that they likes to see in their Oline recruits. As a result, they have sometimes passed over damn good football players that might not fit that prototype, but can still play at this level.

However, this kid fits the type of Oline recruit that Germer likes. And Germer/Hauck is right...with hard work and little luck, there's a chance the kid could develop into an NFL caliber Olineman.

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:06 pm

Coaches say that ****** all the time, yes.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

doebrmn
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by doebrmn » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:24 pm

For a left-handed quarterback, Chad became one hell of a center and is a good OL coach.