Larry Chanay

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Larry Chanay

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:46 pm

Looking to our resident historians on Bobcatnation:
Tyler Hall just broke Larry Chanay's men's basketball career scoring record. Here's what I know about Mr. Chanay: He was 6'4" and 180 pounds. He played here from about 1956-60 in the brand new MSC Fieldhouse. His coach was Dobbie Lambert. He may have had a military background and was a little older than a traditional student. He, along with Charles Jackson of the football team were the first African American student athletes at MSC (Montana State College). His junior and senior seasons he averaged well over 20 ppg and he was also the team's top rebounder. He was drafted by the Cincinnati Royals (now the Sacramento Kings). He was inducted into the MSU Hall of Fame in 1989.

I found lots of articles in old MSU Exponents via Google like this one: http://arc.lib.montana.edu/msu-exponent ... 01-010.pdf including some grainy photos. Incidentally, that edition of the Exponent includes an article about a new Northern Conference with the north and south Dakota schools, Montana schools, and Idaho and Idaho State.

I can't find anything about whatever happened to Larry Chanay. I don't think he lasted very long in the NBA. I don't know if he's still alive or not. He was here the same time Sonny Holland was a student.

Anybody know? Or remember what kind of player he was?

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Larry Chanay

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Also found this: http://collegehoopedia.com/blog/black-h ... or-barrier

"Four-year Air Force veteran finished his four-year college career as the school's all-time leading scorer (2,034 points). He led the Bobcats in scoring all four seasons. Chanay was a 14th-round choice by the Cincinnati Royals in 1960 NBA draft."

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:11 pm

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:56 pm

I find it a little sad that someone with that level of significance in MSU athletics history is all but forgotten. One of the first African-American Bobcats and a guy that held one of the biggest records in MSU Basketball for 58 years can't even get a bit of a write up in his Hall of Fame entry on the website: https://msubobcats.com/hof.aspx?hof=77

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:39 am

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm
Wow! Thank you so much for posting this. I was at that game. Thanks, Dad.

bobcats35
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bobcats35 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am

Played with Larry a couple of those years in the 50's. Fastest first step when driving to basket I've ever seen. Also a good outside shooter. Was overall a great player on both ends of the floor. He and his wife both came to MSC out of the service and on the GI Bill. Remember him telling me he took a pay cut when he graduated. Worked for Kraft Foods for a while in the Cincinnati area I Know. Have lost track of him over the last few years, not sure if he's still alive.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:17 am

bobcats35 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am
Played with Larry a couple of those years in the 50's. Fastest first step when driving to basket I've ever seen. Also a good outside shooter. Was overall a great player on both ends of the floor. He and his wife both came to MSC out of the service and on the GI Bill. Remember him telling me he took a pay cut when he graduated. Worked for Kraft Foods for a while in the Cincinnati area I Know. Have lost track of him over the last few years, not sure if he's still alive.
Thanks for sharing! One thing I noticed was how impressive their schedules were back then. Lots of what are now considered big teams came to Bozeman in those days. It would be really neat if MSU could arrange for Larry Chaney-if he was able-to come to Bozeman or someone from his family so the MSU family could honor both him and Tyler Hall.

Camo_Cat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Camo_Cat » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:47 pm
Are you freakin' kidding me?! What a phenomenal picture - scoring against Elgin Baylor, one of the NBA's greatest of all time! Big time props need to be given to Tyler, but Chanay's accomplishments should be highlighted as well. Would love to see MSU do some kind of recognition of both sometime during a home game this season.

"I love Bozeman. I love these people. I love the Cats. I even love this weather. You think I'm gonna pick Missoula? You're crazy - gimme the Cat head!!" -- Lee Corso, ESPN GameDay

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:55 pm

Found this article from the Chronicle-published in 2005: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... eb614.html

I found a funeral home announcement that Larry passed away on November 6, 2017 at the age of 82. His full name was Iliad Lawrence Chanay, Jr. I haven't found an obituary. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlan ... fhid=12797 I found a masters thesis in the MSU library on-line archives from 1968 when he was pursuing a masters degree.

It's been fun looking all this up. He had quite a career at MSC. He went to the free throw line a ton-he was second in the country in free throws his senior season. But like Tyler Hall, the team's he was on didn't win a bunch, except his sophomore season when they were 18-8. His other seasons they were below .500.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:37 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:55 pm
Found this article from the Chronicle-published in 2005: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... eb614.html

I found a funeral home announcement that Larry passed away on November 6, 2017 at the age of 82. His full name was Iliad Lawrence Chanay, Jr. I haven't found an obituary. https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/atlan ... fhid=12797 I found a masters thesis in the MSU library on-line archives from 1968 when he was pursuing a masters degree.

It's been fun looking all this up. He had quite a career at MSC. He went to the free throw line a ton-he was second in the country in free throws his senior season. But like Tyler Hall, the team's he was on didn't win a bunch, except his sophomore season when they were 18-8. His other seasons they were below .500.
Very cool, thanks for sharing Belgrade! I agree that MSU should do something with Hall and a representative from Chanay's family.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

Alsdaughter
New Recruit

Post by Alsdaughter » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am

I hope someone gets this and reads it. I’ve been trying for years to contact someone to ask questions about during this time period that Larry played. My father, Al Harris also played when Larry played. I think they were the first ones to play in the “new” field house. I was told there was was a big photo/mural or some type of image daddy was included in, somewhere when you went in the lobby area. I’ve been attempting to find out if it’s true. I have a photo of what it was supposed to be. Another white player named Jack Tilley played at the same time. The three of them pretty much the star players of the team back then. They beat some guys who are famous players today. Daddy and Jack were called The Gold Dust Twins and both were from Anderson Indiana. I barely remember the other two guys as I was a little kid. I know Larry and his wife were good friends with my mom and dad. Mom said they were very nice people and she liked them a lot. Back in the day most players were white and a lot shorter than players today. My dad was only somewhere between 5’8 and 5’10 but was evidently a pretty dang good guard. I believe Larry was the only one who went pro. Several teams tried to get daddy to go pro but he didn’t want to live anywhere out there. He wanted to come to Florida and be in law enforcement. The rest is history. I believe momma said Jack coached.
I have photos, articles and game programs that I would share but can’t seem to figure out how to attach them.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:44 pm

Alsdaughter wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:39 am
I hope someone gets this and reads it. I’ve been trying for years to contact someone to ask questions about during this time period that Larry played. My father, Al Harris also played when Larry played. I think they were the first ones to play in the “new” field house. I was told there was was a big photo/mural or some type of image daddy was included in, somewhere when you went in the lobby area. I’ve been attempting to find out if it’s true. I have a photo of what it was supposed to be. Another white player named Jack Tilley played at the same time. The three of them pretty much the star players of the team back then. They beat some guys who are famous players today. Daddy and Jack were called The Gold Dust Twins and both were from Anderson Indiana. I barely remember the other two guys as I was a little kid. I know Larry and his wife were good friends with my mom and dad. Mom said they were very nice people and she liked them a lot. Back in the day most players were white and a lot shorter than players today. My dad was only somewhere between 5’8 and 5’10 but was evidently a pretty dang good guard. I believe Larry was the only one who went pro. Several teams tried to get daddy to go pro but he didn’t want to live anywhere out there. He wanted to come to Florida and be in law enforcement. The rest is history. I believe momma said Jack coached.
I have photos, articles and game programs that I would share but can’t seem to figure out how to attach them.
I hope you can get in contact with the young men who provide this site for all of us to ponder at times so you can share some of your memories with us. I didn't move to the Gallatin Valley until the 59-60 team was playing but my uncles took me to a few games right after the Fieldhouse opened. What I remember about the 59-60 team is they started the year beating Wyoming twice and Oregon and everybody thought they were going to have another great year but didn't finish very well. Bratton and Matson played with Larry and one of them was pretty tall for that era. I was only eight or nine when my uncles started taking me to games so I could watch my other uncles play football or basketball. What I remember is how crowded the Fieldhouse was for every game and of course everybody smoked.

Alsdaughter
New Recruit

Post by Alsdaughter » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:30 am

I have clippings and game programs to share from when Larry and my dad played together. I just can’t figure out how to attach them here. If anyone is interested. I was young but remember a few things. I’m actually in the Bobcat yearbook back in 58. Not sure, I’ll have to see if my mother can look. I was an honorary team cheerleader with my own little outfit and all. I know all you gentlemen are really interested in that fact! Kidding!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:30 am

Alsdaughter wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:30 am
I have clippings and game programs to share from when Larry and my dad played together. I just can’t figure out how to attach them here. If anyone is interested. I was young but remember a few things. I’m actually in the Bobcat yearbook back in 58. Not sure, I’ll have to see if my mother can look. I was an honorary team cheerleader with my own little outfit and all. I know all you gentlemen are really interested in that fact! Kidding!
Paging @kmax @rtb @SonomaCat , cool chance for a Bobcat history lesson here, if one of you are willing to help this lady out.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

wapiti
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by wapiti » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 am

But, But ,But, I thought Keljin Blevins was the first Bobcat to play in the NBA????????

The local media said so.

(Another prime example of why news media is not to be trusted.)

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:21 am

wapiti wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:57 am
But, But ,But, I thought Keljin Blevins was the first Bobcat to play in the NBA????????

The local media said so.

(Another prime example of why news media is not to be trusted.)
My understanding is he was drafted by Cincinnati but was cut and never played in a regular season game. Blevins is the only Bobcat ever to play in an NBA regular season game.

Alsdaughter
New Recruit

Post by Alsdaughter » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:00 pm

bobcats35 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:28 am
Hi there. May I ask what years? My dad also played with him in the 50’s