NDSU's Klieman to K-State

The place for news, information and discussion of athletics at "other" schools.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

blueandgoldblitz
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: NDSU Coach Klieman is gone to...

Post by blueandgoldblitz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:39 am
Kansas State! According to reports now out on the various outlets, Chris Klieman is now the new HC for KSU and will be headed out following the playoffs!

It will be interesting to see how NDSU replaces him and what that does to the Bison machine in the coming years.n
I'm not thinking it's going to do a whole lot, but you never know. Reports also indicate that KSU made the incoming head coach (Klieman) keep all of ex KSU coach Snyder's assistant coaches. That's why Seth Littrell (sp?) turned the job down before Klieman got it. That being said, NDSU will likely keep all of their assistants and I would foresee one of those assistants being promoted to HC of the Bizon. Almost the entire coaching staff will remain intact unless they all bolt for other jobs now that Klieman is gone. It's going to be interesting to watch for sure. Would also be interesting to see if Klieman tries to take some of his better recruits to KSU with him. I doubt it, but you never know.

CodyCat
Member # Retired

Post by CodyCat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 am

blueandgoldblitz wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:43 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Kansas State! According to reports now out on the various outlets, Chris Klieman is now the new HC for KSU and will be headed out following the playoffs!

It will be interesting to see how NDSU replaces him and what that does to the Bison machine in the coming years.n
I'm not thinking it's going to do a whole lot, but you never know. Reports also indicate that KSU made the incoming head coach (Klieman) keep all of ex KSU coach Snyder's assistant coaches. That's why Seth Littrell (sp?) turned the job down before Klieman got it. That being said, NDSU will likely keep all of their assistants and I would foresee one of those assistants being promoted to HC of the Bizon. Almost the entire coaching staff will remain intact unless they all bolt for other jobs now that Klieman is gone. It's going to be interesting to watch for sure. Would also be interesting to see if Klieman tries to take some of his better recruits to KSU with him. I doubt it, but you never know.
No matter who the coach is next year, I think he will have unrealistic expectations. Doesnt this team lose something like 25 seniors? I know they are deep and I know they have tradition. But, thats a ton of wins that are graduating. And replacing Stick wont be easy. They literally been reloading every year so I can see how they may not miss a beat.

Hating the griz since 02.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:10 am

NDSU will be very interesting to see next year. The bottom line is that they have an incredible program and just reload every year. I expect more of the same next year.

BUT, you combine losing your head coach and 25 or so seniors, 17-18 of those that were starters, there has to be some kind of drop off. Not saying it will be huge and they’ll go 7-5 next year, but I would be amazed if they’re 11-1 or 12-0 again. If they did that, next year might be their most impressive year yet out of this almost decade of dominance.
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:18 am

NDSUs planning is on the level with the rest of the program.
My guess is they have been planning for this situation for the last year or two, more so than most schools would, and have a pretty good idea of where they are going.

Today at 1:00 may have an answer.
https://www.bison1660.com/

On a separate note I see UC Davis goes to Fargo Sept. 21 next year.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

btribby wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:51 am
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

No matter who the coach is next year, I think he will have unrealistic expectations. Doesnt this team lose something like 25 seniors? I know they are deep and I know they have tradition. But, thats a ton of wins that are graduating. And replacing Stick wont be easy. They literally been reloading every year so I can see how they may not miss a beat.
That program is an absolute matchine. When Bohl left and took staff with him, they lost 23 seniors. All they did the following year was win another National Title, easily. They will continue to be the team to beat for many years, regardless of who is at the helm.

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am
btribby wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

That program is an absolute matchine. When Bohl left and took staff with him, they lost 23 seniors. All they did the following year was win another National Title, easily. They will continue to be the team to beat for many years, regardless of who is at the helm.
For sure. The goal is to play juniors and seniors almost exclusively and just develop your under classmen. That means you'll have 20-25 seniors every single year. I'd bet they have 20-25 juniors on their two-deep too and 30-40 sophomores ready to step right in. I can't imagine they won't be favorites again. "Next man up" applies to coaches in a program like this one too.

KHaslam
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: NDSU's Klieman to K-State

Post by KHaslam » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Anacomando wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 am
None of you would interview Coach Choate? I would. Coach Choate has it! While I agree, he probably will not get the job and they will likely hire in-house; he is coming up on the scene. This guy will be a head coach of a Power 5 program in the next decade!
I would if I was Northern Colorado.

NDSU wouldn't fire one synapse his direction.

Don't take my word for it, take the Missoulians!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:45 pm

KHaslam wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:55 pm
Anacomando wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:35 am
None of you would interview Coach Choate? I would. Coach Choate has it! While I agree, he probably will not get the job and they will likely hire in-house; he is coming up on the scene. This guy will be a head coach of a Power 5 program in the next decade!
I would if I was Northern Colorado.

NDSU wouldn't fire one synapse his direction.
The butt hurt is strong with this one.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:16 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catapult
BobcatNation Redshirt

NDSU Names New Head Coach

Post by catapult » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:23 pm

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 am

continuity won out. I wanted to do a national search and see what names would pop up, itd be interesting.

Entz stays, OL coach stays, DB/DL cosch stays and the OC is in limbo since kstate has a guy locked in til 2021.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:51 am

lakesbison wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:02 am
continuity won out. I wanted to do a national search and see what names would pop up, itd be interesting.

Entz stays, OL coach stays, DB/DL cosch stays and the OC is in limbo since kstate has a guy locked in til 2021.
I'm curious what will happen with Messingham since he's pals with Klieman. Guessing he stays in Fargo unless he gets an FBS offer somewhere.

The Herd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The Herd » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 am

btribby wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Our replacement for Stick is Trey Lance.....he will be a RFr next year and I know you probably don't want to hear this, but he has a chance to be better than Stick. Boise St I believe offered him a full ride late in the recruiting last year. Kid is extremely athletic and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and as always...….GO BISON!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm

The Herd wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 am
btribby wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Our replacement for Stick is Trey Lance.....he will be a RFr next year and I know you probably don't want to hear this, but he has a chance to be better than Stick. Boise St I believe offered him a full ride late in the recruiting last year. Kid is extremely athletic and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and as always...….GO BISON!
I don't think that its too unbelievable that anyone they chose to replace Stick would be a better athlete but Stick was such an unbelievable game manager and seemed to always rise to the occasion. Won't know if Lance will do the same until he has some live bullets coming at him. So much support there for him he will have time to grow into the role for sure.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm

Well at least we held NDSU to less offensive yards than SDSU did.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm
But NDSU turned Easton Stick loose this game. He is a really good QB and had one hell of a game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:09 pm

Impressive 2nd half from NDSU...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:37 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:42 pm
Montanabob wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:09 pm
But NDSU turned Easton Stick loose this game. He is a really good QB and had one hell of a game.
Is it possible that Stick is even better than Wentz? Can't play much better than Stick did against SDSU.

The Herd
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by The Herd » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:55 am

technoCat wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm
The Herd wrote:
btribby wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

I don't think that its too unbelievable that anyone they chose to replace Stick would be a better athlete but Stick was such an unbelievable game manager and seemed to always rise to the occasion. Won't know if Lance will do the same until he has some live bullets coming at him. So much support there for him he will have time to grow into the role for sure.
Its funny how a lot of opposing teams fans don't view Stick as athletic....for some reason he doesn't pass the eye test, but in reality he is a 6'2" 221ib man that can fly! Everyone seems to under estimate his speed and arm strength. Lance has played in a few games this year and looked good in doing so, really think he will win the job next year over Hodgekiss who will be a sophomore I believe.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 am

The Herd wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:55 am
technoCat wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:15 pm
The Herd wrote:
btribby wrote:
blueandgoldblitz wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Its funny how a lot of opposing teams fans don't view Stick as athletic....for some reason he doesn't pass the eye test, but in reality he is a 6'2" 221ib man that can fly! Everyone seems to under estimate his speed and arm strength. Lance has played in a few games this year and looked good in doing so, really think he will win the job next year over Hodgekiss who will be a sophomore I believe.
Lol I wasn't saying he isn't athletic. I just don't think it's his best attribute or that it would be extraordinarily hard to find someone more athletic if they looked. Finding someone with his intelligence and moxy is the hard part.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN