Suggested source for Bobcat coverage

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Suggested source for Bobcat coverage

Post by aucat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Tuesday evening I attended the fiasco of a game at Brick Breeden. I was very curious to see what the players and coaches and media had to say about the game, so I tuned in to KBZK and other networks for )the late news and sports. Of course, duh, I forgot the election coverage was pre-empting local news and sports. I voted early so I forgot.

So the next evening I tuned in at 5:30 pm to watch the sports. KBZK began their sports with an in-depth report on the women's team at Montana Western. Then they did an in-depth report on Montana Tech basketball. I thought to myself, here I am in Bozeman, watching a Bozeman based station report on colleges in Dillon and Butte and totally ignoring MSU. NOT A SINGLE WORD about the men's MSU basketball game against Utah State played on Tuesday night.

Actually I had sent an email of complaint to Maureen Lang, the general manager at KBZK (mlang@kbzk.com) several days earlier. I told her how well Ted Dawson covered ALL MSU Bobcat sports when he was there, and how far the ball has dropped since then. I complained about the increased coverage of the Griz at the expense of Cat coverage.

Here was the email I received back from her:

"Much of our sports focus is on high school and Frontier Conference sports. While we do cover the Cats, we have found that our viewers are most interested in hearing about high school sports because their children often play in them. We do our best to cover as much Bobcat sports as possible. My husband played for the Cats so we are big Bobcat supporters and completely understand your concerns.
I also appreciate your feedback. Please email me your thoughts and concerns anytime."

Obviously my concerns were not addressed as KBZK had zero coverage of the MSU-Utah State game. Granted, the Cats played terrible, but that's one reason why I wanted to see what the media, players and especially coaches had to say.

So my question to Bobcat fans is, do you know of any network that does a decent job of covering the Cats now that KBZK has dropped the ball? And what happened to the Bobcat Sports report that used to air on Sunday evenings at 10:15 pm. I really used to enjoy those.

Thanks

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Suggested source for Bobcat coverage

Post by aucat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Here is what one friend suggested:

NBC has done a good job as of late. Lauren Chauvin a new reporter has provided excellent coverage. Aunica Koch from SWX ABC-Fox has also done a great job. SWX has a griz spin but they do a good job at times.

Bobcat Insider changed day/time this year. The information is below:

Bobcat Insider: Jay Sanderson hosts MSU’s weekly preview/highlight show on Fox Bozeman featuring Head Coach Jeff Choate, with Aunica Koch. The Bobcats Insider airs in the Bozeman area on Fox at 9:30 pm, and around the state on Fox channels on Thursdays at 9:30 pm or at a time TBA.

If you are on twitter or follow print media, Colton Pool from the Chronicle and Greg Rachac from the Gazette do a great job

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Brooks and Colter are going to start having to do tv as well....

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:23 pm

ilovethecats wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 pm
Brooks and Colter are going to start having to do tv as well....
:goodpost:
I appreciate these guys more all the time.

That response from KBZK is so lame. Of course, high school — no argument, cover it all you can. Everyone gets that. But to say they focus on the Frontier Conference when they supposedly are in a D-1 city is just wrong. Even though they moved to Bozeman, KBZK Butte and Bozeman has really never left Butte.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Did KBZK cover the MSU women's basketball game? It was a special promotion, but still to pack the fieldhouse on a weekday afternoon is a good trick.

And now they have the great opportunity to be playing in the preseason WNIT on Friday. How's KBZK doing on that one — mum? That's a pretty big deal, and a big challenge. Marquette seems to be playing well. The game will be streamed on the Golden Eagles' outlet. See the MSU schedule for a link. Go Cats!!