Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Basketball here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Men's 2019 Basketball Recruiting

Post by imacat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:02 am

Welcome to the Bobcat family Jubrile!!!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:26 pm

mslacat wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:47 am
The Bobcat have offered 6-9 center Jubrile Belo originally from London, United Kingdom (Barking Abbey School) he played for Lamar Community College last year and averaged 4.7 points, 2.4 rebounds while shooting 56.4% from the field. He also has an offer from Iona

Video from his freshman year
[youtube][/youtube]
This is what I posted last June on the Bobcats Latest commit Jubrile Belo. He had offeres from Indiana State, Iona, N. Colorado and Kent State with interest from Robert Morris, Brant, Fullerton, UNC Ashville and UW-Milwaukee among others. As mentioned earlier he played in only a handful of games last year before breaking his leg and sat out the rest of the year. I have been told that he was granted a medical redshirt for last year and this coming year will be his freshman year eligibility wise and should have 3 years of eligibility at MSU. He was not getting much recruiting attention until he had really good summer at the JC Jamborees/tournaments this summer.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Moving Forward

So it looks like Fish has 2 of his 3 scholarships for 2019 filled already. PLus we signed a few weeks ago transfer center Usman Haruna who looks like will be part of the 2019-20 class/team. While it seems almost inevitable, in these times of massive player transfers, that by the end of the 2018-19 season another scholarship will open up, we can only address that situation when it happens. So with the Commitment of Caleb Bellach and Jubrile Belo to go along with Haruna it looks like will have a junior (possibly soph) and a senior big men who should be ready to contribute right away (that's why you sign transfers) plus a guard/forward who may need a little time to develop (I assume almost all freshman need some time). So with his one remaining scholarship (for now) in 2019 what/who will Fish be looking for? My gut reaction would be that we need to sign a young point guard. We are a little thin at that spot now and when Hall graduates I really see Fish playing Harald a lot at the shooting guard spot. What I am seeing though from who Fish has offered and who he rumored to be showing interest in we seem to be looking at a lot of bigger guard shooting guard (w/ deep three point range). I would say that 2/3 or more,of the recruits I know of fall into that category. The other large number of players I know about are big men but unless Haruna is allowed to use his 1 year of eligibility this year (and not 2019-20) I have to figure Fish is definitely not looking at signing another big man.

So here is my guess at what/who Fish may look to do with his last scholarship. I think he will try to fill that scholarship this fall, BUT only if he can get a player he really wants. He will not reach for a player. Fish doesn't mind having a scholarship in his pocket come the end of the season to make changes or address needs. I think he will be looking at a big guard who can play multiple positions and real importantly provide a scoring right away. I would guess he has a few freshman he thinks can do this, and he will sell them on opportunists now that Tyler Hall has moved on to the pro's. I would, though, think that he would be looking vary hard at the JC ranks to bring an instant offence. The JC ranks are real hard to figure out right now coaches and players are in a wait and see, don't rush mode right now, so it is hard to gauge how active MSU is involved there.

So here are some Guys I hear we have offered that might be players who would fit this bill and I think could be on Fish's short list.

High school
Kenny Foster 6-4 SG Smokey Hill HS Aurora Colorado - Fish scouted him heavily this summer and went out of his way to see him play multiple games. He is a Fish type of player. I am told he is a major priority for Wyoming this fall where he took his first official visit to two weeks ago. Last week end he took an official visited to Peperdine. On the plus side he has not yet committed.

Marcus Domask - 6-5 SG/SF Waupun HS, Waupun WI He really fits the bill as a Fish player. Could do some damage in the Big Sky. Has taken one offical vist so far and that was to Northern Kentucky.

JC
Henry Tanksley 6-3 PG/SG Central Wyoming JC I think he would be a perfect fit. Has been playing shooting guard at the JC level but comes from a point guard back ground. Could play as either a scoring point guard or a pure shooting guard. Has a nice combination of athleticism and size for the Big Sky level. Was flying under the radar last year at Central Wyoming, but turned heads over the summer. As of right now he only has two offers Montana State and Jacksonville State, but has over 10 D-1 schools showing strong interest. Might be the type of guy you grab early before his stock rises this winter. Both he and MSU have strong interest in each other, just comes down to is either ready to pull the trigger.

BTW 1 Tankley is about the only JC guy I know the Bobcats are serially interested in. There maybe others I just have not heard anything.

BTW 2 If Haruna is by some magic, is eligible to play this year, then his scholarship would open up so Fish could offer it also in 2019. Then it would not be out of the question for Fish to use it to sign another big man, but my guess is that Fish would use it to sign another 6-5 g/f, because that is what Fish likes to do.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Take Marcus Domask off the above list. I swear the minute I hit "Submit" on the above post, news over Twitter was he committed to Northern Kentucky.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 pm

The open recruiting started I believe this week, meaning coaches are allowed to go back on the road and check out recruits and schedule home visits. I have been hearing rumbling all day about our coaches being at different schools looking at Players. Word has it Coach Haslam spent the day at Lamar CC the school of our most recent commit Jubrile Belo, been told they are also looking at 1 or 2 teammates (guards) of Belo. Fennelly I hear was/is in California and was checking out a few open gyms at high schools. The more interesting tid bit of rumor (AND REMEMBER THIS IS ALL RUMOR) is that I heard Fish and Dominguez spent the whole day at Mountain Pointe high school in AZ. today. To have two coaches spend two recruiting days (as defined by the NCAA) on one school would indicate there is someone there who they are very interested in. Enough to attend open gyms, talk to councilors, and get academic reports and possibly sit down for an in home visit. Mountain Pointe has two senior players who are getting D-1 interest. Both kids I have heard associated with the Bobcats this summer. First being 6-8ish (I have seen him listed from 6-7 to 6-9) forward Jalen Graham. He is ranked in the top 10 Arizona recruits and stock is going up. Has at least 10 D-1 offered including Weber State, Montana as well as Kansas St and TCU. The other player is Khalid Price a 6-0 PG ranked in the top 25 in Arizona going into the season. but is on at least one list I saw for possible Arizona Mr. Basketball. In any case it would be interesting to know who Fish was interested in if not both. Fish is also not afraid of going against the grain in recruiting, last year remember he recruited and signed Quentin Guliford out of Arizona where he was ranked preseason as the 45th best prospect in the state with no other d-1 offers, By the end of the school year he was ranked as the 5th best prospect in the state.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 am

THANKS mslacat...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:42 pm

Last night I saw this on Twitter and retweeted it.

I never heard of Andrew Grave before so I decided to look him up. One thing you should know that fact that Trigonis state that Graves has been "Recently Hearing from Montana State" should let you know that no offer is on the table, and "hearing" could be from a quick conversation in the gym to a series of phone calls and emails. I also don't know if the "Hearing" was before we got a commit from 6-9 center Jubrile Belo. Anyway hear is what I know about him.

Andrew Grave 6-10 forward/center East HS Anchorage AK (formerly Jefferson HS OR). Graves is originally from Alaska and transferred down to Jefferson HS to play the past 2 season. Jefferson is a power in Oregon basketball circles and some of the best players in in Oregon, Washington and Alaska tend to find there way to play ball. He missed the entire 2017-18 basketball season with a deep bone bruise, but made it back to play in some of the AAU spring and summer. As a result he is some what of an unknown quantity, but still a lot of west coast coaches know of him. When healthy he is a scorer and has deep 3 point range to go along with good post moves. He had an offer from Utah State prior to the 2017-18 season but the coaching staff was let go last spring and the offer evaporated. Aside from Long Beach St and Montana State, Santa Clara and Seattle U. have also been showing an interest. He is currently list as the #31st best senior prospect in Oregon. Will probably be in the top 2 in Alaska.

Oregon Prep Hoops Jed Tai <Prospect Profile: Andrew Graves (2019 Jefferson HS/Team Fly North)> 6-18-18
Obviously at 6-foot-10, Graves is one of the tallest players in the state. But his skill level goes beyond just being tall. At under 200 pounds he will need to get stronger in order to fully compete in the paint, but he has the ability to step out and shoot the ball. In one game against MEBO Team Hood on the EYBL, he hit 3-for-4 from three-point range on his way to 13 points.
Oregon Prep Hoops Jed Tai <Class of 2019: Who Else to Watch in July?> 7-13-18
#31: Andrew Graves (2019 Jefferson/Team Fly North) – Graves played a little in the spring for the Rose City Rebels, but left the squad for Team Fly North will he will be the key guy in the paint. At 6-foot-10 he obviously has the height but because of injury – he suffered a deep bone bruise in his knee – hasn’t been able to fully display his offensive versatility on the court. Graves remains largely a mystery and when he suits up in July, college coaches will definitely be paying close attention.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm

Trey Anderson will be on campus this week-end for and official visit. There was some talk earlier when Fish offered him this summer if this was for the 2018 or 2019 recruiting class. It now appears it was for 2019. Anderson would be an ideal fit for Fish, as Fish loves players who can play multiple positions and Anderson regularly plays SG, SF and PF. Also I now see him listed at 6-8 and that does not hurt either!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:47 am

I have heard that Coach Fish has a second recruit in this week end, Trey Anderson being the first, in 6-8 forward Luka Jaksic from Georgia. The Bobcats have been recruiting Jaksic 16-18 months. I did a wright up on Jaksic, as well as Anderson, earlier in this thread. I am hearing that he currently has offers from Kennesaw State, South Carolina Upstate, Jacksonville, Belmont as well as Montana State. My gut tells me unless he has an awful trip or the coaches rescind their scholarship offer he should commit.

thefrank1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by thefrank1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm

seems like Fish is recruiting like his job depends on it. I wish him every success.

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:14 pm

thefrank1 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:41 pm
seems like Fish is recruiting like his job depends on it. I wish him every success.
Well I think most College coaches recruit like their jobs depend on it, because it does.

By The Way, I was hoping we would have heard something about a commit from this weekend, by now. If we don't hear something by today it will be a waiting game for the two we brought in and time for Fish to line up some more visits (if he has not already).

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:30 pm

mslacat wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:47 pm
Trey Anderson will be on campus this week-end for and official visit. There was some talk earlier when Fish offered him this summer if this was for the 2018 or 2019 recruiting class. It now appears it was for 2019. Anderson would be an ideal fit for Fish, as Fish loves players who can play multiple positions and Anderson regularly plays SG, SF and PF. Also I now see him listed at 6-8 and that does not hurt either!

I guess everyone in the Bobcat world noticed that if you interchange the "e" in Trey with the "o" in Anderson you get Troy Andersen......??? Oops thats probably for another discussion on another board.

thefrank1

Post by thefrank1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:49 pm

=D^ =D^ =D^

While registering my vehicles the assessor stated "I have had both Cat and Griz students and alums work for me and the Griz end up working under the direction of the Cats."

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:28 pm

As I tweeted last night, the Bobcat coaches have offered 6-3ish SG Amin Adamu who hails from London England and attended Barking Abby School high school in 2016-17. He will be attending Casper JC this coming year, his sophomore year, after playing for Western Wyoming JC last season, where he averaged 19 points, 4.3 rebounds, 2 assists starting 24 of 26 games averaging 32 minutes a game. He also shot 56.5% from the field and 33.9% from three point range. if Barking Abby School high school sounds familiar the bobcats have recruited quite a few players from there including former Bobcat Joe Mvuezolo. I know the bobcats were recruiting Adamu out of high school but he has to go the JC route. If you search hin name above you will find posts I did about 18 months ago on him. It is my understanding Bobcat assistant Chris Haslam helped him get on with Western Wyoming and again Casper JC when he decided to transfer. I have seen him list anywhere from 6-2 to 6-6 and Casper has him listed at 6-4. It is that metric thing is sooooo hard to convert. Right now Casper is a much better JC team than Western Wyo.. They went to the national championship tournament and could be even better this year. Former Bobcat Issac Bonton will play for Casper this year and his teammate (and former high school teammate) Wilfried Likayi is considered to be one of the top 10 JC's in the nation this year. The Bobcats have also offered Caspers 7-1 James Hampsire. As a high school senior he was named EABL East Conference Player of the Year, he led the EABL in scoring at 21.9 points, added 4.6 rebounds, 1.8apg and 2.7spg, finished third in efficiency rating, and was second in the league in free throw shooting (81.3%). He led the league in true shooting percentage at 65.6% and 2PT FG% at 65.9%, whilst finishing fifth in 3 point shooting at 37.5%. For this coming year, JucoRecruiting.com also has Adamu listed as one of the top 60 JC players this year.

Montana State is so far his only offer.

Here is some video, but it is from his high school days.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 am

I have heard that the Bobcat coaches are showing a lot of interest in England Native 6-8 combo forward George Davey who will be a freshman at Cecil Community College in Maryland this year. Haslam has been scouting him for quite a few years. Last year he did a prep school year at Action Sports Academy in Georgia where he averaged 13 points 10 rebounds and 2 assists. He is a freshman qualifier, which means he can sign with a D-1 school and have three years of eligibility (after spending this year at Cecil). He has very good length with a 7'-0" wing span. I am told he can play both forward and the center spot with good interior moves strong rebounder and a deep three point shot. He is getting A LOT of interest from NAIA, D-1 and low major D-1 programs. Below is a tweet with a list of school who have either offered or shown interest in him , as of last week. A few more names have been added to the list, including MSU since then. At this point I do not know if the Bobcats have offered him or just showing interest at this time. I am thinking the latter. Interesting tid bit When I did a little research on him I found he had to Twitter accounts both active. One is he calls his "Recruiting Page" and it looks like he has been following me for about 6 months.

From Action Sports Academy web site, take with a grain of salt.
Player Analysis

Excellent Shooting Post: 3PT & Mid-Range

Vision + BBall IQ: Facilitator from Post spots

Good Ball-Handler / Pass-catcher

Solid Position Rebounder / Screen-setter

Mature and Focused Post Player
https://twitter.com/GeorgeDavey98

Video

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:50 am

Tid Bits

With Usman Haruna being granted immediate eligibility for 2018-19 that means his scholarship will open up again for 2019. That gives the Bobcats 2 scholarships left to offer this year.

Luka Jaksic a 6-8 combo forward who visited Montana State about a week and half ago has committed to Kennesaw State. I am not that upset about this loss. Ranked 104th best senior player in Georgia this year.

I am hearing a rumor European big man could be coming in for an official visit, but I can not confirm and hearing different names.

Another home game this weekend most likely Fish will have 1 or 2 recruits in for the game. No names yet, but we will see.

GrizgradCatFan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by GrizgradCatFan » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:04 am

Any ideas on possible starting lineup? Can Sam actually play a small forward spot like he should and we start the transfer or Kirby? Or maybe Sam comes off the bench ( i would like to see kirby and the transfer down low). I am curious on the freshman as a couple I have heard are pretty good. Can't wait to see. Plus I hope the University plans on putting some advertisement out there for Tyler. People really need to come watch him play his final year. Come on Costello this kid has been the perfect student/athlete lets help promote him so he gets some more name recognition and help build him up for the next level!

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:27 am

GrizgradCatFan wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:04 am
Any ideas on possible starting lineup? Can Sam actually play a small forward spot like he should and we start the transfer or Kirby? Or maybe Sam comes off the bench ( i would like to see kirby and the transfer down low). I am curious on the freshman as a couple I have heard are pretty good. Can't wait to see. Plus I hope the University plans on putting some advertisement out there for Tyler. People really need to come watch him play his final year. Come on Costello this kid has been the perfect student/athlete lets help promote him so he gets some more name recognition and help build him up for the next level!
I did some musing on this subject, but over on this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=46393&p=640563#p640563

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm

About three weeks ago we had 1 open scholarship to offer now we have three. Here is our latest known prospect who the coaches have offered.

Sanmi Fajana is 6-8 power forward / center who is currently attending Myerscough HS/college in London England. He is an Irish national but has been attending school in London for a few years. Last year he played for the Manchester Eagles who won the English u-18 championship (think national title) in an over time game to ......... Myerscough HS/college. Fajana came off the bench in that game but played a critical role in the championship and semi-final games scoring in double digits points and rebounding about 7 caroms per game. I don't know why he changed schools. This summer playing for the Irish U-16 teams in the European championship he was a major contributor averaging 15 points, 10 rebounds while shooting 55.6% from the field and 20% from 3 point range. His best game of the tourney was his final game scoring 26 points and 19 rebounds in a win against Bosnia/Herzegovina. The basketball season in England just started a few weeks ago. Over his first 4 games he scored 5pts 6rbs , 5pts 7rbs , 17pts 10rbs & 15pts 11rbs (avg 11 pts 8rbs) which prompted his coach to predict that after an adjustment period he will be a real power in their league. Fajana is an aggressive player who goes after the ball off a rebound or on the floor and will look to score the ball given the opportunity. Last year he was listed at 6-6 early this summer he was listed at 6-7 and now at 6-8. Again it could be that metric conversion. He (like almost all British players do) attended the annual Lu Deng Camp this summer was measured at 6-7 and was Named to the Deng Top 50 list (#13th) as the top prospect s in England this year. As of right now I beleive Montana State is the only school to tender and offer to him.

Side note: I am told both Sheridan (WY) and Casper (WY) JC are recruiting him hard also in case he needs to go the JC route. I wonder if these schools are paying Bobcats assistant Chris Haslam a finders fee?

Here is some video but it is from over a year ago.

mslacat
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacat » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:14 pm

Oh by the way, with the loss of Martin earlier this week. I would bet Fish has put 3 point shooting at the top of his list (if it was not there already) of recruiting priorities.