Who wins the QB battle?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Who wins the QB battle?

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm

91catAlum wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:19 am
1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:10 am
I'm just going to post this to keep it in Bobcat Nation's collective mind...

There are really two seasons we must contend with as Bobcats... roughly speaking:

i. pre mid-October
ii. post mid-October

When we talk about pro-style 6'-6" QBs who can really "spin the ball" in 7-on-7 drills during the Summer, we all must keep in mind how this translates to the second & more important season in our year?

Isn't Bauman from the Seattle area? Has he ever even played in snow? Can he "spin the ball" in 10 deg F weather, come November?

Keep all this in mind, as there are a number of Bobcats on the roster currently (mostly from the south) who have likely never even seen snow or been in cold weather in their lives.
Murray is from California.
Prukop was from Texas.
McGhee was from Texas.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over the November weather.
Correct. And 0 out of 3 of them were pro-style QBs like 6'-6" Bauman. They all relied on their legs heavily (although Prukop was a more skilled passer) to move the chains.

You completely missed the main point of the post.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:54 am
Team10 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:43 am

There are really two seasons we must contend with as Bobcats... roughly speaking:

i. pre mid-October
ii. post mid-October

When we talk about pro-style 6'-6" QBs who can really "spin the ball" in 7-on-7 drills during the Summer, we all must keep in mind how this translates to the second & more important season in our year?

Isn't Bauman from the Seattle area? Has he ever even played in snow? Can he "spin the ball" in 10 deg F weather, come November?

Keep all this in mind, as there are a number of Bobcats on the roster currently (mostly from the south) who have likely never even seen snow or been in cold weather in their lives.
Spinning the ball is spinning the ball. If the ball is dry and he isn't coming in from sitting for 2.5 hours on the bench to finish the 4th quarter his hands will be more than warm and tacky enough to grip and throw the ball as if it were 85 degrees outside. I would be more concerned with rain games than snow games. The way some of the new footballs are made they become more difficult to handle when they get wet and since Sumas, Washington gets 50 inches of rain, on average, per year. The US average is 39 inches of rain per year I'd say he's well conditioned to throwing the ball in wet weather. On top of that, he is 6'6" and cannot imagine he has little baby hands, so again gripping the ball and spinning it shouldn't be a problem.
On top of that we have been beat by some southern teams in Bozeman when the weather was absolutely ******. Once the guys have warmed up they are already sweating and like you said, unless the QB is coming off the bench ice cold in ice cold temperatures, I don't think weather is an issue anymore when it comes to throwing the ball.
The primary reason we lost to Kennesaw St, beyond the fact they were at top 10 FCS team in the nation last year, was due to the fact that Chris Murray simply could not execute a forward pass in the 10 deg F temperature that day.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm

iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am
If you go into a game thinking you have an edge because of the weather, then you no longer have an edge.
I totally disagree. To embrace (or at least be able to manage) the cold in late Oct/Nov is a huge advantage. It is a definite reality.

It is the reason some QBs cannot execute forward passes in cold weather while others can. I would argue there is more than just physical measurables involved in this phenomenon. There is a mental toughness aspect that plays a large role in this. It is also something that is often neglected during the Summertime 7-on-7 drills.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:48 pm

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:38 pm
iaafan wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:56 am
If you go into a game thinking you have an edge because of the weather, then you no longer have an edge.
I totally disagree. To embrace (or at least be able to manage) the cold in late Oct/Nov is a huge advantage. It is a definite reality.

It is the reason some QBs cannot execute forward passes in cold weather while others can. I would argue there is more than just physical measurables involved in this phenomenon. There is a mental toughness aspect that plays a large role in this. It is also something that is often neglected during the Summertime 7-on-7 drills.
The players practice everyday in cold weather in the Spring and in Oct and Nov. I would say they are conditioned to the cold.

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:33 pm
The primary reason we lost to Kennesaw St, beyond the fact they were at top 10 FCS team in the nation last year, was due to the fact that Chris Murray simply could not execute a forward pass in the 10 deg F temperature that day.
After the constant bitching and moaning about Murray's inability to pass, do you really think that was because of the cold or he wasn't confident throwing the ball in general...?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:00 pm

20 plays, 78 yards, TOP 10:03

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:03 pm

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm
91catAlum wrote:

i. pre mid-October
ii. post mid-October

Prukop was from Texas.
McGhee was from Texas.

Correct. And 0 out of 3 of them were pro-style QBs like 6'-6" Bauman. They all relied on their legs heavily (although Prukop was a more skilled passer) to move the chains.

You must not have watched a lot of MeGhee. He did rely on his legs but there was a lot of pro style in his game as well. Prokup, put up good numbers due to the system he was in. The Chip Kelly "Fast Break" is known to pad quarterbacks stats

This space for rent....

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:32 pm
91catAlum wrote:

i. pre mid-October
ii. post mid-October

Prukop was from Texas.
McGhee was from Texas.

Bauman is essentially from Canada. His hs is only 4-5 miles from the Canadian border. Think of it like a kid coming from eureka.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Speaking of Pro-style QB's, if we do have more of a PRO STYLE QB than a DUAL THREAT QB wouldn’t it be something if whoever our new QB is (Bauman or Rovig) could have a Freshman year like Case Cookus (6'4"/200) did .... Efficiency Rating of 185, 37 TD’s – 5 Int’s, 283 pass yds/g, 3100 total yards passing with just 19 yds/g rushing.....we'll leave the rushing to the RB's if that's the case. Just as well dream big I reckon.

Casey Bauman 6'6"/225
Tucker Rovig 6'5"/205

Come to think of it, IF either of these QB's becomes our starter, could there be more of a drastic difference in style between them and CM?

GO CATS!

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Choate said in the media portion after practice today that it's very possible our QB will be our leading rusher again this year. Wonder if he was hinting at who the top 2 are right now or just thinking out loud.

Hell's Bells
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hell's Bells » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm

probibly thinking out loud. I also wonder if it is a way of saying that we will not have a main RB this year as well

This space for rent....

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm

Hell's Bells wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:39 pm
probibly thinking out loud. I also wonder if it is a way of saying that we will not have a main RB this year as well
He did mention a lot of RBs will get touches. Rovig and Bauman won't rush for 2 or 3 hundred yards though.

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:08 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Hell's Bells wrote:
He did mention a lot of RBs will get touches. Rovig and Bauman won't rush for 2 or 3 hundred yards though.
After what I saw today, it will be Andersen-1; Bauman-2; Rovig-3. It is a different team when Troy is at the helm. Very poised, very bright, and very fast. The ability to run from the QB position really changes our offense. Chemistry Seems to be there with him and #1 offense.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm

I’m going all in on Travis Jonsen as our QB game 1 ... but who knows

bcatfan1
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by bcatfan1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:11 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:49 pm
Hell's Bells wrote:
IMO, the only way we don't have a "feature back" is if Troy Andersen is the starting QB. It'd seem like a waste of his talent to have him as part of a running back by committee type backfield.

Some people are a lot like slinkies....... Not really good for much, but it puts a smile on your face to watch them fall down a set of stairs.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:42 pm
It will not be him. Take that to the bank! My bet is Anderson!!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm

bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm

I hope it’s Rovig.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

superbobcat

Post by superbobcat » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm
bobcatbob wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:36 pm
Bozcat003 wrote:
It won’t be Jonsen. Right now he is 4th on the dep, behind Bauman, Troy, and Rovig.
I think Bauman is the real deal. With that said, we have a lot of our run offense built around a mobile QB. Troy fits itbetter. With Troy at QB , the other backs have holes open much easier.With Troy at RB all the focus shifts all to him.i just think we are more explosive and dangerous out wit Troy taking snaps. I’m not going to gripe about either.

asstastic
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by asstastic » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:52 pm

Common Cat wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:37 pm
I hope it’s Rovig.
Me too

Punchin Griz fans in the mouth since 2002 [-o<

#RTD

19-4-0