2018 Cats schedule prediction

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

2018 Cats schedule prediction

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 pm

With two months to go to opening day lets take a look at our 2018 schedule and have some fun.

OOC opponents:
8/30 Western Illinois (home) I feel like we'll have the advantage at home, and will surprise them with our toughness. going W but I think its still a 50/50 game.
9/8 South Dakota State (away) We played well with SDSU last year, but I think they sneak this one in at home. L
9/15 Wagner (home) complete and utter beat down, Cats by 30. W
Big Sky Opponents:
9/22 Portland State (away) tune-up game for the Cats. W
9/29 Eastern Washington (home) Here's where it gets real. I feel like we can win this one and a Win would virtual propel us through the rest of the BSC schedule. If the Cats win, that we be the shot fired that we're ready to be the BS Champs again. Not sure it happens this year my gut says we lose to EWU in a nail-biter. L
10/13 Idaho (home) After a bye week, and another home game I think we win comfortably at home. Choate will have this team ready for the Vandals. W
10/20 Weber (away) Weebs lost a lot, but I think coach Hill is reloading in Ogden. Last years team was 3rd place in the FCS in my eyes, and I have no doubt Hill's teams is still strong and deep. I think this is another 50/50 game, and one that could set the tone for the rest of our schedule. I think Webs wins in OT. L
10/27 Idaho State (away) If we fall to Weebs, this gets us back on track. W
11/3 Cal Poly (home) CP plays tough, but the Cats grind it out. W
11/10 Northern Colorado (home) After a tough home game against Cal Poly, Cats are rolling on all cylinders and roll over the bears. W
11/17 Montana (away) Choate makes it 3 in a row and the Cats are in the playoffs W

That leaves us 8-3, a playoff berth, but not quite the BS Championship.
I think Weebs, NAU or EWU finish 7-1, my best guess at the champion. what you got?

Disclaimer* Until everything goes sideways about the end of September.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: 2018 Cats schedule prediction

Post by gtapp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 pm

I think that looks about right. I am going with an 8-3 year this year. I think we have a 10 win defense but only a 3 win offense. I do trust the coaching staff and I think they generate a couple wins just by their coaching ability. So 8-3.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm

WIU- "Should" be a win, and after listening to Jay Sanderson's podcast with HeroSport's Brian McLaughlin I feel more confident that in can happen- W

@SDSU- Gonna be tough to go in to Brookings and win this one. Revenge should be on the kids' minds but I imagine a quote from Choate before this one saying something like, "Revenge is pretty shallow, in the short run you get whatcha get, and in the long run you get whatcha deserve." Well when the "long run" comes around I still think Montana State is a year away from beating an opponent from the Valley on the road- L

Wagner- I see a lot parallels with Bryant from two years ago. The Staten Island Seachickens have some talent, but Montana State has gotten significantly better since last playing an NEC opponent from two seasons ago. I hope that commute from Staten Island is too much for the Wagner boys- W

@PSU- I predict Montana State will be BIG favorites coming into this one. And if I were a bettor I would peg Portland State to cover. The 'Cats haven't traveled well in recent years out there, but they are more talented than the Viks- W

EWU- First off, I think Aaron Best is an overrated head coach. And even though they got hosed from the playoff committee a year ago, I still feel that their best days are behind them. But until I physically see the 'Cats beat EWU under Choate I simply won't believe it- L

Idaho- The return of TittyBoy Troy Purcell back to the city of Bozeman! And Idaho is without question the most intriguing team in the FCS, and if they gain momentum in the early part of the season it could spoil Homecoming for the Bobcats. Choate has yet to win a homecoming game as head coach , and unfortunately I think that streak continues- L

@Weber- Jeff Choate is doing his best effort to model his program after Jay Hill. This is good for Montana State in the "long run" but it's just like Eastern, until I see the Choate-led Bobcats beat Weber, I just can't believe it- L

@ISU- Its the battle between Rob Phenicie and his daughter (on the SOTW Marching Band)! Just like last year, Idaho State is coming at a part of the year where the Bobcats or "Bobbies" (as Phenicie would say) will be in the mood to enflict some pain on the Bengals. And I think this game could kickstart a run to the FCS playoffs for the Bobcats, that is, if the committee lets 'em in- W

Cal Poly- It'll be great to be back home. What's even greater is that Cal Poly is going to be down again this year, which makes me feel like those beatdowns in the 90's Montana State experienced at the hands of the Mustangs are a distant memory- W

UNC- Northern Colorado football conducts their program like a Division II outfit. And Montana State has experienced much more adversity, and will be mentally tougher in this one- W

U of M- " The prodigal son has returned, but I do know this: The sequel is never as good as the original." - Jeff Choate speaking of Bobby Hauck (Self Proclaimed Public Enemy #1 of Bozeman). Bottom line is... the cupboard is pretty bare up in Missoula for what he wants to do. He has three FBS transfer Qbs, and NO Tight Ends, that equation leads to a Bobcat victory!- W

Bottom Line: I see Montana State going 7-4 and getting "Eastern Washingtoned" by the committee on Selection Sunday.

Although with the new news about Chris Murray, who the hell knows.

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:07 pm

Whelp, guess it didn't take till September. ](*,)

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm

HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm
WIU- "Should" be a win, and after listening to Jay Sanderson's podcast with HeroSport's Brian McLaughlin I feel more confident that in can happen- W

@SDSU- Gonna be tough to go in to Brookings and win this one. Revenge should be on the kids' minds but I imagine a quote from Choate before this one saying something like, "Revenge is pretty shallow, in the short run you get whatcha get, and in the long run you get whatcha deserve." Well when the "long run" comes around I still think Montana State is a year away from beating an opponent from the Valley on the road- L

Wagner- I see a lot parallels with Bryant from two years ago. The Staten Island Seachickens have some talent, but Montana State has gotten significantly better since last playing an NEC opponent from two seasons ago. I hope that commute from Staten Island is too much for the Wagner boys- W

@PSU- I predict Montana State will be BIG favorites coming into this one. And if I were a bettor I would peg Portland State to cover. The 'Cats haven't traveled well in recent years out there, but they are more talented than the Viks- W

EWU- First off, I think Aaron Best is an overrated head coach. And even though they got hosed from the playoff committee a year ago, I still feel that their best days are behind them. But until I physically see the 'Cats beat EWU under Choate I simply won't believe it- L

Idaho- The return of TittyBoy Troy Purcell back to the city of Bozeman! And Idaho is without question the most intriguing team in the FCS, and if they gain momentum in the early part of the season it could spoil Homecoming for the Bobcats. Choate has yet to win a homecoming game as head coach , and unfortunately I think that streak continues- L

@Weber- Jeff Choate is doing his best effort to model his program after Jay Hill. This is good for Montana State in the "long run" but it's just like Eastern, until I see the Choate-led Bobcats beat Weber, I just can't believe it- L

@ISU- Its the battle between Rob Phenicie and his daughter (on the SOTW Marching Band)! Just like last year, Idaho State is coming at a part of the year where the Bobcats or "Bobbies" (as Phenicie would say) will be in the mood to enflict some pain on the Bengals. And I think this game could kickstart a run to the FCS playoffs for the Bobcats, that is, if the committee lets 'em in- W

Cal Poly- It'll be great to be back home. What's even greater is that Cal Poly is going to be down again this year, which makes me feel like those beatdowns in the 90's Montana State experienced at the hands of the Mustangs are a distant memory- W

UNC- Northern Colorado football conducts their program like a Division II outfit. And Montana State has experienced much more adversity, and will be mentally tougher in this one- W

U of M- " The prodigal son has returned, but I do know this: The sequel is never as good as the original." - Jeff Choate speaking of Bobby Hauck (Self Proclaimed Public Enemy #1 of Bozeman). Bottom line is... the cupboard is pretty bare up in Missoula for what he wants to do. He has three FBS transfer Qbs, and NO Tight Ends, that equation leads to a Bobcat victory!- W

Bottom Line: I see Montana State going 7-4 and getting "Eastern Washingtoned" by the committee on Selection Sunday.

I only read your analysis of UM. You stated Hauck has no Tight Ends. You must have forgotten about Colin Bingham who is actually way better suited as a true TE than the hybrid role Stitt had him in. There are already NFL scouts scouts looking at Bingham as a TE on Sundays.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:41 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:22 pm
HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 pm

I only read your analysis of UM. You stated Hauck has no Tight Ends. You must have forgotten about Colin Bingham who is actually way better suited as a true TE than the hybrid role Stitt had him in. There are already NFL scouts scouts looking at Bingham as a TE on Sundays.
The Griz should be very good at TE in my opinion. Colin Bingham was a TE out of high school and simply wasted as an H-receiver by the Griz. Sure he caught some passes but his blocking ability is exceptional. They should be fine.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HawkAndBobcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawkAndBobcat » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm

@Grizaddict I remember when the scouts had Gustafson as a potential 2nd rounder. How did that turn out? I have been wrong before, and will definitely be wrong again, and yeah I don't know a damn thing about the Bingham kid. And if he bodes well for Bobby, I'll take my crow medium rare...

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:49 pm

HawkAndBobcat wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:11 pm
@Grizaddict I remember when the scouts had Gustafson as a potential 2nd rounder. How did that turn out? I have been wrong before, and will definitely be wrong again, and yeah I don't know a damn thing about the Bingham kid. And if he bodes well for Bobby, I'll take my crow medium rare...
I have no idea if he will end up in the NFL. I was just filling you in that Bingham is the real deal at TE. He will be an all Big Sky TE this year or next. His dad played in the nfl and he is getting looks is all.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm

As of today at 3:51 pm, Cats 9-2

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Until we know who our QB is I'll go 6-5, the defense winning us 5 of those 6.

Halfcat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Halfcat » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:06 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:52 pm
As of today at 3:51 pm, Cats 9-2
Bingo =D^

2019...🏆

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:58 pm

I'm sticking with 7-4, bubble team for the playoffs. 8-3 would be my second guess.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!